Originally Posted By: Gene Buckle
If memory serves, I was getting a range of about .13 to 4.93 volts out of the one I used in the video.

julian265, considering that most will use the "middle" 90 degrees of travel on something like this, is the fall off at the ends of the travel _really_ going to matter that much? Considering what the typical setup will lose just in mechanical slop, I suspect the difference would get lost in the noise. smile

The Plasma MM2 is an _awesome_ device. Unfortunately Beta Innovations is no longer in business. Something bent him sideways and he closed his doors - I've never gotten an explanation. The software will allow adjustment of the response curve though. Eventually I'm going to get the Arduino firmware written to allow you to use an Arduino Uno (or similar) as a control input device. That will also have the ability to tweak the response curves.

g.

It really sucks when a good product disappears off the market!

If you're going to use only the middle 90 degrees, then I agree that the loss of linearity won't be noticeable in-game - however if you do this with your current setup, you'll only be using the voltage range between ~.73 and ~4.3. This is fine if you are happy with the resolution that you will be left with, as long as you calibrate it to still reach 0 and 100% in-game. I am under the impression that most sticks don't have 90 degrees of travel though, and long-throw sticks use even less.

Therefore you match the sensitivity of your sensor to the axis that it will measure (so it reads minimum and maximum voltage at the extents of movement), you can directly attach it (thus avoiding cogs and levers), and not have any mechanical slop at all - this was pretty much the reasoning that motivated me to build my stick, along with non-wearing, non-spiking sensors.