After many(many) months of buying bits and bobs by 'stealth' (ie. Small packages from ebay that are under the wife's gadget radar) my 'pit project has finally gained a bit of momentum.

I was originally going to keep things super-simple and just build a desktop switchbox. After spending lots of time reading through this forum and seeing the awesome creations I decided to go the whole hog and build a full simpit.

I decided I wanted something simple - straight cuts and 45º angles... nice and easy... However, after taking my cut list to the local shop, I discovered I'd used the wrong stock sizes. As I was rearranging everything I remembered Gene's 'pit and wondered 'how much would it cost to have something like that cut on a CNC machine'. I emailed half a dozen suppliers across the UK and got replies ranging from insanely expensive to 'how are they making a profit?'.

CNC it is then!

Being a complete novice to 3D packages I decided to stick to my strengths and use Adobe Illustrator to design the parts. I was a technical illustrator for years, so visualising the 2D pieces in my head wasn't too difficult. I also spent some time creating cockpit training aids for BAE Systems Hawk aircraft - it's no coincidence that some of the dimensions exactly copy the MK109/209 export variant!

I knocked the design up in around four hours! A quick check with the tape measure and done! Emailed to the supplier.

As luck would have it a friend happened to be passing by the supplier and offered to pick the parts (he's registered on these forums as the delightfully named: SHARkeyWards_LeftBollock).

Anyway, here's some pics of the parts that are now sat in my garage (plus a few project pics).

Original cardboard mockup:

Building the sim-room (basically, half a standard UK garage - not very much room at all!!):

A view into the room - cockpit parts on the floor...

More bits (plus the small CNC machine I bought to do the edgelit switch panel cutting/engraving):

Yet more bits:

Couldn't resist a quick dry-fit! (not squared up properly, but you get the idea):

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

"I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive." - Randall Munroe