Originally Posted By: Rama
I just tried a straight-forward stall with a P38 (IL2 V4.08), engines on and idle, and could stall straight-forward from 2000m to the ground... so it's possible

If the power is at idle, that would be a "power-off" stall. I specified "power on" because I remember that in version 4.00, they brute-forced in symmetric power-off stalls for the P-38. Basically, they reduced elevator authority at idle power so that it can't quite pull enough alpha to do a real stall. It's like having a second person in the cockpit putting his hands on the stick and preventing you from pulling it all the way back, and when you lose altitude as a result of his resistance (rather than from exceeding critical angle of attack) he tells you, "See, you're stalled!" The actual physics are still borked.

As for your term, "chute stall," I think that we are having a language barrier problem. I've been studying aircraft for my entire life, and even briefly took flying lessons. But I've never heard the term "chute stall." I've also read many F.A.A. articles on stalls without any such references. I just looked up the term on Google, and there are no relevant matches within two pages. Is it a translation of a French term?