In Manfred Von Richthofen's own words, from his Air Combat Operations Manual, as submitted to Generalleutnant Ernst von Hoeppner (Commanding General of the German Air Force in WWI):

If the artillery-spotting aircraft is attentive and a surprise is not successful, in most cases he will go into a dive or make turns at lowest altitude. Then, in most cases, pursuit is not accompanied by success, as I can never hit an opponent who is turning.

MvR considered two-seaters more difficult opponents than single-seat fighters, and his manner for achieving success was based on initiating an attack only when advantage was secured, and then closing into short range where his shots could not miss:

With one sentence one can cover the theme 'Air Combat Tactics', and that is: 'I approach the enemy until about 50 metres behind him, take aim at him carefully, [and] then the opponent falls'. Those are the words with which Boelke brushed me off when I asked about his trick. Now I know that is the whole secret to shooting down [another aeroplane].
One does not need to be an aerobactic artist or a trick shooter; rather, [one has] to have the courage to fly right up to the opponent.

It has been said that 70-80% of all aircraft shot down in the Great War was through surprise, by an attacker never seen. The majority of the conflict's successful air warriors stalked their prey for that right moment to ruthlessly execute an unwary opponent.

Will Knights Of The Sky have a sophisticated enough AI system which allows aircrews to be surprised when an attacker(s) stalks properly?

We shall see......