Ahhh, but notice I said progressive mechanical wear. ;\)

I agree, having one's plane or guns go south without any aural or visual indication, while realistic sometimes, is not a benefit to one's enjoyment of the sim. Something along the lines of damage taken or extended lengths of gun-firing taking a toll on the aircraft.

I would prefer if the damage was not a static variable. Some sims do apply engine damage progressively. I am especially fond of IL2's engine wear when damaged displaying aural signs of wearing out till it just dies.

Something similar could be applied to wings as the fabric continues to rip, or oil/fuel leaks out. An Albatross gets heavy flutter on the wings and the sim gives a chance of the darn things ripping off. If the maneuver is repeated the percentage goes up every time till repairs are made.

Guns could act up if overheated and then have a chance of jamming. If the player continues to use them in this manner, the percentage goes up of one or both failing.

I just want to see the damage become a bit more random and unknown. A player doesn't see a meter or an exact level the can ride in the sim. If they risk it, they risk it knowing it could result in total failure.

If Gennadich decides (please, please, please!) to host a large ongoing server, repairs might actually be an integral part of the game if this model is applied. If a plane is damaged near the front lines, the player has to decide whether they have to ditch, fly to an emergency field, or can make it back home.

If they ditch, they lose the plane but live (hopefully). If they manage to land at an emergency field, they might have to wait for repairs from the crew if the field is busy. If they have extensive damage incurring, then their home base is their only hope for repairs. It is up to the player to decide on the route taken and the risk involved. A wrong choice and they might die in the process.

Just some things to spice up the event. Sometimes the most fun I have had in a sim is not the combat but trying to get a stricken aircraft home in one piece before it disintegrates in the air. ;\)

S!