Quote:
Originally posted by Gustang:
Perhaps there were some irreparable shortcomings with using the IL-2 engine for a new WWI flight sim, but this change of direction mid-stream is not encouraging. Especially when considering a (good) flight-sim engine is arguably the most difficult undertaking in game development, more so when combat/destruction is an integral part of the game.

Are they still shooting for a years-end release? I find it hard to believe that a change like this would add less than 6 months to the development cycle.

The models look incredible, but dumping the IL-2 engine entirely so shortly after a merging of teams destroys my level of confidence in this project.

I dunno, maybe some in-game video other than tech demos will light the fires again. We'll see...
The IL2 engine is getting on a bit now but I'm sure we could have had a very decent WW1 sim with it. IL2's best at low alt skimming the trees, ideal for WW1 aviation.

The biplanes in Il2 seem to handle well enough. I find it hard to believe that there was some unsurmountable problem. What I can believe is that Petrovich wanted to go his own way physics wise after he joined the team, or maybe wanted more access to Olegs code than he was willing to give. Just speculating \:\)

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570