Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
Yep, never have heard someone say let's dumb-down the FM's......can't think of anyone who would really present their point of view in that manner.

You know, on the far end of these discussions about FMs, we could place fans who enjoy nothing more than flying the civilian simulators for hours on end.

I wonder if flying combat flight sims for fun makes us less of a purist than them?
Well, your question automatically excludes them from having "fun" flying civilian simulators for hours on end. Likewise, you're operating on the assumption that high difficulty/high fidelity is mutually exclusive with "fun." That may be the case for you, but not another (case in point the people who "have fun" flying civ simulators for hours on end).

Anyways, pretend I never said "dumb down" as this seems to be dismissed at face value as having no relevance in the discussion of a realistic sim FM. Instead, replace "dumb down" with "moderate." Meaning is the same.

Some feel that the sim, even at its highest difficulty settings, should have the realism of the FM moderated for the sake of "fun." Unfortunately, there are others whose definition of "fun" is then automatically excluded. Why? Why not have difficulty options? Then everyone can adjust the sim to their own "fun" preference.

I contend that the only reason not to do this is pure ego. Some people want the most difficult settings to not be "too difficult" (which they justify by claiming ownership to a universal standard of "fun").

--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox