Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
Quote:
Originally posted by akdavis:
I know there are some egos that can't handle it, but a high fidelity sim that can be scaled down is far preferable to a dumbed down sim that maxes out at something less than realistic and leads to unending whingefests about that FM (or perhaps I should say MORE unending whingefests).
I've actually never read in any thread, anywhere, someone ask for a dumded down flight sim, or dumbed down FMs (it's all very relative now isn't it). ;\)
It was just asked for above. Not making the FM "too real" because it would be "not fun" (while real is somewhat objective, fun is entirely subjective) is "dumbing the FM down." Sorry if the phrase itself offended. I did not mean to insult.

I have never personally understood it, but there is a large contigent of flight sim players who want the "hardest" difficulty setting not to be tied to fidelity to reality, but rather to a "balance" where "hard" is difficult, but not too difficult.

After seeing the endless whining about how the Il-2 FM became "too hard" following 4.x patches, I fear what could become of flight sim if the realism was handed over to those who want to balance it for their subjective perception of "just right" difficultly and not stay true to trying to achieve the highest degree of fidelity possible given the limitations of time available and current hardware, then allow people to back off from this with a wide array of customizable difficulty options.

--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox