Neal,

I think I agree with with your points 1 & 2, if you're expressing that adding content such as maps, planes, and mission packs should remain a choice, and by electing to add or not add content should not cause an online server to loose functionality, or for a person's game to become obsolete (no one is wanting anyone to be forced to buy add-on content if they don't want too). This is why I see "patches" and "add-ons" as performing different functions, with patches aimed at upgrading a sim's core code (and this upgrading should remain free as has been the gaming industry practice), while add-on modules would allow for the expansion of the sim's coverage, with new models and any needed maps and missions included, and these modules would be purchased for a fee. Still, any code changes needed to enable new add-on content to function, or to upgrade the basic sim's operation should remain available for anyone wanting to patch their installation for free.

The boon to a designer-driven add-on scheme, is that it would represent the "official" means of expanding a sim's core content. Having the originators of the sim involved in its on-going expansion would go a long way towards promoting the quality of new add-on content, and control it's availability, while assuring its compatability when installed, as well as any on-going support needed.

Another bonus to an officially-sanctioned (and promoted) add-on concept, could be the greater frequency that new content could become available, and the modest per unit charge needed to cover the production and profit costs to market these new modules. With more nominal pricing being possible with this scheme of more frequent expansion availabilty, some might even feel less inclined to pirate new content, because it would be so relatively inexpensive to buy in the first place!

Now let me to link some artwork that I previewed on GT's forum awhile back, showing just some ideas of what these add-on packs could cover (we're not talking big "title-like" expansions here, but contained and "themematic" content):

Allowing each of us to select which modules we choose to include in our sim's expansion, giving us the option to "grow our own sim" over time.......to custom tailor our sim's content to the periods and plane's which we most want to try. I have a feeling that most of us in the end will want to get them all.....especially if it's an affordable process to do so.....which should be a hallmark of the whole concept anyway (as conceived from the start). ;\)

Hey, let me also thank Copterdrvr for his comments and input into the conversation here, as well as those ideas that Neal is expanding on......besides talkin' about this stuff comes easy, but in some small way maybe it could result in some tangible, and positive results......who knows! \:\)