Quote:
Originally posted by Sulky Boy:
Elipsoid atmospherics are about to enter our combat world, amongst other things, that'll fascilitate wind shear and other localised wind effects. I'm really excited by the possabilities. Upwind n downwind legs are going to be a real challenge in WW1 period kites.
That sounds fascinating Dave!

One of my greatest flying enjoyments was experiencing convection currents rise off the highways near the end of the grass airfield I flew ultralights out of back in the eighties. The roadbed was elevated at the end of the strip, and when you "cleared the hedge", you could feel the "bump" of the rising air when you traversed over the highway. Plowed dry fields also gave the same effect if you were low enough......it made one feel connected to the world, and at the same time liberated from it........ \:\)

There's a classic WWI-era film clip showing Camels flying in tight formation from a 3/4 frontal view, and they're each pitching up and down as if rising over ocean waves. It'll be nice someday to see our simulated "dead" airspace replaced by a more active element. As you mentioned, vortex currents from wingtips and props also need to be considered someday. In a WWI sim, being able to blast the tail feathers with a burst from the engine would certainly make ground handling more effective (and realistic).

Sulky Boy, are you talkin' here about active air effects for FS X perhaps, and do tell us more about their inclusion into future combat flight sims (if you will).