Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
Neal, there were elevation trim wheels/levers mounted on a number of British aircraft.....for a version of the Sopwith Pup, on the Tripehound, the Snipe, the SE5A, the Biff, the Harry Tate, and the DH4 & 9 all come to mind.

Again, torque didn't give the Camel its rotary turn....gyroscopic precession did (read above).

Camel pilots maneuvered in combat at full power (usually). ;\)
Simply that the gyroscopic precession is a torque effect. Please whatever you are saying is for me and many just a matter of syntax. I both can and cannot appreciate the higher precision of the correct name of the effect itself but when you get down to it the only time to bring up the difference is when someone tries to pull wrong/bad results.
AFAICT you can't have one without the other, but you can have the other without the one... torque does not always mean precession, you have to swing the spin axis to get precession and like that which when it comes to labels is picking.
Now if you have people mixing up p-factor with gyro or torque effects then that's another kind of horse.

What did those WWI planes do for trim? There's a few ways I could guess at like actually vary the tension of the rigging to changing a pivot point in a control crank. I've never heard of trim tabs on those machines but then I don't know all the bits.