Quote:
Originally posted by Freycinet:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by =FB=VikS:
[qb]
Regarding the damage model, I think it is very important to have quite a significant change from Il-2, namely that the planes will not just fall apart in many pieces, but will be able to crumple. I don't know how it should be done, but WWI planes were made of wire and lacquered textiles, so the damage model should reflect this, i.e. have some crumpling (wings folding up and staying attached to the plane, etc). I guess it will be a b!tch to program, though... But crumpling is a must, also since WWI planes very often suffered structural failure and just fell out of the sky.
Wooden planes covered in canvas dont 'crumple'. That effect was done on RB2/3D.
Canvas would rip away if shot up enough, splinters etc. Mostly, no effect unless a spar, control cables/pulleys, engine, pilot, etc were hit. 'Crumpling' is not a must.
WW1 planes just didnt suffer structral failure as a whole. Depends on the plane. spads, Fokker D7, Se5as could dive close to 200mph and still hold together. Nieports and albatros fighter could warp the lower wings and break is true, but many stories have them diving at a good clip before failure.

vbr
Ron
Former member of:
JG1 'Richthofen', Jasta 11; Rb3d
Jasta 1; Rb3d
Jg1 'Oesau'; EAW

A&P Mechanic
Retired USAF

'Always treat your kite like your woman' 'You mean take her home and meet your mother?' 'No! I mean get inside her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e644WFD1rgM