Quote:
Originally posted by von Stalhein:

McGonigle, your pilot-centred idea is very close to my idea of the ideal flight sim too. I suppose what I want is not so much a flight sim as a pilot sim. I'm more interested in the experience of being a combat pilot than I am in the performance statistics of a bunch of aircraft. And current flight sims always intrude the interface between me and the air combat experience. Sometimes it's a good, immersive interface (EAW, RB), sometimes it's a constant reminder that I'm just sitting at a computer manipulating a program (Il2). But it's always there, in the way.
Let do away with the user interface then!

You hit the nail on the head Von S. That interface is really a great example of the stagnation in creativity. Every game and sim has it. Why haven't anyone found a way to be much less dependant on it?

The hardware can be calibrated and tested automatically, either at the time of install or right after the user starts the game.

The user can specify what difficulty level should be set before even starting the sim.

So why should the user do any of these things through an interface, unless the user specifically tells the software to reveal that user interface for further finetuning, - by pushing alt+U or whatever.

So, the first thing that happens, when you think you are starting the sim to play for the first time is that you're greeted by a recruiting officer, telling you to put down your name on the enlistment form, and then off you go, on your merry adventures.

No interface at all! \:D

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop