I think it is pretty clear that AI is an essential for any flightsim. So... I ran some tests.

I have a boxfulof different sims to choose from, so I gave them all a spin to test out the way AI reacted.

I gave them a good turn fighter, and they all tried to stick on my tail. Some skill was shown by IL2 AI. Novices tended to fire earlier. Experts tended to hold fire till they were close. Most seem to give 'Ace' pilots a LOT more 'G' tolerance. CGS3 is a real naughty boy here. It's difficulty levelling is a bodge of the worst sort. Give them an energy fighter, like, say a P47, and they don't have a clue!

Not fair..I know. I knew they would do this!

So, I switched to other things! Can the AI find you in thick cloud.... surprising how many AI's can do this without radar....Night flights are worse! All have excellent night vision.

In some cases, AI is clearly ignoring me until reach a certain 'range' before it evades.

The AI never flys the plane to the point of stall

The AI has a predictable set of manouvers to shake off enemy ( IL2 'dive and turn' ) which it uses regardless of situation

Now, I could go on, but I think this pretty much outlines why people are not happy with current levels of AI. They are too scripted in their actions. They are too predictable in their reactions. They never surprise you after you have played for a while.

This is basically impacting on immersion. Immersion is King. I agree that blurring of Online /Offline may be a way to go, but the AI needs to improve in some key ways.

1) It must share the limitations of the pilot in terms of stress and G tolerance.
2) It must share the problems of maintaining visual contact where appropriate.
3) Even with the limits imposed by swcripted AI, the AI pilot should have 3 or 4 options to choose from when reacting e.g. Turn left, dive and extend, split S, turn right with increasing options for 'harder' AI

There should also be AI options for the chaps on the ground! Flak, vehicles evading, that sort of thing. Shoot up a comvoy and they should do more than just stop coz the roads blocked!

Now... I know there are sims that do SOME of this...but none do ALL. Making AI that reacts like a human is still a long way off, but surely the next generation of sims should be looking at improved AI behaviour beforefancier grpahics ?

Oh...yes...and teh Best AI award from my test....

Red Baron 3D. They gave me the best run for the money. 2 seaters evade like anything, and always manouver to get their guns to bear. Progress... oh well \:\(

Athlon 64 3000 ( S939)
1024Mb DDR 400 (Don't leave home without it)
GeForce 6800GT
Abit AV8 Pro