Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
!

I've come to the personal realization that I'm willing to sacrifice some "ultimate realism" in one category or another, if a sim has that overall balance, and represents eminent playability.

A lot of sense written in the last few posts, especially the above.
Over the years, I have tried to interest some fellow RC model plane/glider fliers into flight sims.
And the fact that they haven't really gone for it is down,I think, to (1) not having cracked it, combined with, (2) the sim not looking real enough.
Same thing, (1),happens with guys who try RC models.
There is a learning curve and if they don't crack it- get to the point where they they are having some success, more times than not,then they lose interest.
Newbies and Sims - If they like the look of it, and they learn it well enough for success, then they will enjoy it and then progress.
Then the niceties come in- skins; scripted or dynamic; what type of missions; online or offline; duels or furballs, etc etc..
No newbie was ever hooked on to flight sims because one had a superb dynamic campaign.

So! - looks, balance and playability it is.

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong