Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2575250 - 08/26/08 05:13 PM Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good.  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/08/25/pitcher.toogood.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Quote:
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators. Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

Pathetic! Absolutely pathetic! Unfortunately things are like this everywhere. Anyone that exels on anything will, sooner or latter, be looked at like hes done something wrong just for being better than everyone else.

2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2575257 - 08/26/08 05:21 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Desert Eagle]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Benny Moore
Unregistered

People take sports too seriously. It's not a game, it's a business. A game is something that's supposed to be fun. (Yes, I know I'm missing the point. I don't care.)

#2575297 - 08/26/08 06:21 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: ]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
All part of the "feel good" movement. Can't have excellence; it doesn't fit the program. Everyone gets a star !

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#2575298 - 08/26/08 06:23 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Yes!! I am unique, just like everyone else! \:D

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2575299 - 08/26/08 06:25 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
I want a star

#2575303 - 08/26/08 06:32 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Duchess]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Joe, there isn't a star in the library here. This is as close as I can come :

Not meaning You're dizzy. The quashing of achievement is dizzy.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#2575389 - 08/26/08 08:54 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: oldgrognard]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

Everyone chant:
LET THE BOY PLAY!

Sounds like the defending 'champs' are jealous they don't have the talent. So they try to remove their obstacle to victory. Ridiculous.

#2575392 - 08/26/08 08:59 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: oldgrognard]  
Goodwood Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Goodwood  Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Veteran

Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
 Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
All part of the "feel good" movement. Can't have excellence; it doesn't fit the program. Everyone gets a star !

I think Snapdad's closer to the mark here; the article itself states that Jericho declined to play for the defending champs, who was sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators. That's like washing a crack sniper out of the Scout/Sniper force just because he didn't want to transfer into the Colonel's nephew's platoon.

LukeFF: Oleg got rid of his moustache! eek

akdavis: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
#2575416 - 08/26/08 09:44 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Goodwood]  
Outlaw Offline
One of the Original Four
Outlaw  Offline
One of the Original Four

The Great Northwest...
"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

?????...

Cat,

How in the world do Lawyers like this pass the bar? If this guy does not deserve a quick kick in the teabag, I don't know if anybody ever will! :-)

#2575417 - 08/26/08 09:45 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Goodwood]  
Roosterfeet Offline
Roosterfeet  Offline

Texas
That article had me up until it mentioned that the league was co-ed and they offered to let him pitch on an older team. So who wants a 40 mph fast ball thrown at their 9 year old daughter the first year she plays ball? Also the part about mom hiring a lawyer... I sense there may be some one-sidedness in this story.

Last edited by Roosterfeet; 08/26/08 09:46 PM.
#2575433 - 08/26/08 10:02 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Roosterfeet]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

I've played in summer league co-ed softball and volleyball and soccer and usually they're set up so it's pretty casual, but there always seems to be that one team out there that plays like they're in the big leagues. They whine about refs and they play hard when they shouldn't be. They're in the wrong league. I can understand the desire to have teams/players like that removed, but nothing prevents someone from signing up to the leagues. Some go down in league level so they can win easily. I doubt this 9 year old kid wants to do anything other than just play ball. There's probably a more competitive league out there for him somewhere but there also wasn't anything preventing him from joining this one, looks like. His abilities aren't the problem here.

#2575455 - 08/26/08 10:36 PM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Roosterfeet]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
 Originally Posted By: Roosterfeet
That article had me up until it mentioned that the league was co-ed and they offered to let him pitch on an older team. So who wants a 40 mph fast ball thrown at their 9 year old daughter the first year she plays ball? Also the part about mom hiring a lawyer... I sense there may be some one-sidedness in this story.

How fast is an average 9-year-old's pitch? 30mph, maybe? Is there a big difference between getting hit by a 30mph ball and a 40mph ball? Getting hit by the ball is part of the sport, if the idea scares someone then baseball's not the sport for them. Next they'll be telling a kid who's 10-20lb heavier than the others that he can't play Pop Warner football because he can tackle too hard.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#2575487 - 08/27/08 12:17 AM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: NH2112]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
"THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren’t only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General."

-from Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut

The ever flowing font of truth, Wikipedia cut/paste:

In the story, societal equality has been achieved by handicapping the most intelligent, athletic or beautiful members of society down to the level of the highest common endowment. This process is central to the society, designed so that no one will feel inferior to anyone else. This is overseen by the United States Handicapper General, Diana Moon Glampers.

Harrison Bergeron, the protagonist of the story, has exceptional intelligence, height, strength and beauty. As a result of this he has to bear enormous handicaps. These include headphones that play distracting noises, three hundred pounds of weight strapped to his body, eyeglasses designed to give him headaches, and a mask to hide his beauty.

My own inane comment:

This is disturbing. However, the kid is 9 and still has the days of "competitive sports" ahead and he can blow holes right through his feeble competitors and the crowd will cheer. I can see some parents getting very vocal about their little 45 pound 9 year old getting knocked out whilst playing Little League.

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#2575489 - 08/27/08 12:26 AM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: sinner6]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
Thanks for the stars grognard \:\)

This story smacks of politics or whatever that's called in the sports world.

I personally would encourage the kid to play, If he's such a good pitcher, it would only make the kids facing him better wouldn't it?

#2575508 - 08/27/08 01:07 AM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Goodwood]  
Vulgarity Offline
Vulgarity  Offline

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Goodwood
 Originally Posted By: oldgrognard

I think Snapdad's closer to the mark here; the article itself states that Jericho declined to play for the defending champs, who was sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators. That's like washing a crack sniper out of the Scout/Sniper force just because he didn't want to transfer into the Colonel's nephew's platoon.

Exactly.

Grog's comment is all part of the "blame it on liberals" movement.

This is about cronyism, which has nothing to do with either side of any ideological fence - except that it exists on all sides that is...

#2575513 - 08/27/08 01:14 AM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: Vulgarity]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Vulg, I'm pretty certain it isn't the "self-reliance conservative" thought being excercised here.

#2575529 - 08/27/08 01:49 AM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: NH2112]  
Roosterfeet Offline
Roosterfeet  Offline

Texas
E=1/2MV^2 So that would give a 40 mph ball about 78% more energy than a 30 mph ball.

But again, it's a little kids co-ed league. This is not regular little league we're talking about. This is the league for kids for whom baseball isn't the sport for them. And I don't buy the mother's story for a minute. Would you call the cops if your kid got kicked out of little league? Just saying ;\)

#2575554 - 08/27/08 03:08 AM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: NH2112]  
SpongeBob55 Offline
SpongeBob55  Offline

Missouri
 Originally Posted By: NH2112
 Originally Posted By: Roosterfeet

How fast is an average 9-year-old's pitch? 30mph, maybe? Is there a big difference between getting hit by a 30mph ball and a 40mph ball? Getting hit by the ball is part of the sport, if the idea scares someone then baseball's not the sport for them. Next they'll be telling a kid who's 10-20lb heavier than the others that he can't play Pop Warner football because he can tackle too hard.

I ma not positive but I think if they are over a certain weigh they can only play offence. Again not sure.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
#2575685 - 08/27/08 11:34 AM Re: Nine-year-old forbiden to play because he's too good. [Re: SpongeBob55]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Maybe the other players should learn to excel at hitting a baseball.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.