Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4439021 - 09/14/18 09:47 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good stuff Boomer. I like the news-broadcast graphics at the start. Nicely done, I enjoyed that and thanks for sharing.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4464833 - 03/10/19 03:14 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Adlabs, you were supposed to tell me when the attacked stations returned biggrin These are all over now. I am going to attempt one of these rescue missions today. I'll use the Orca. Any tips or things that may have changed in the past half year?

Edit: You did tell me when they returned but I had hung up my flying suit. Thanks for that.

Last edited by DBond; 03/10/19 03:18 PM.

#4464938 - 03/11/19 12:59 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ran four of these rescue missions last night. There are quite a few attacked stations at the moment. Closest one was about 34 LY from Dvorsi. I switched to the Orca, and loaded it out with a bunch of econocabins. That would seat 70. I could have squeezed a few more in by dropping the scoop, which isn't needed. But if I had dropped it at the rescue vessel I'm sure I would have flown away later having forgotten it, so it stayed on board.

The main reason I chose the Orca was it is engineered for cool running which I thought might help. I bought a second heatsink launcher just in case.

The station was a single jump away and I flew there. Called the station and got landing permission among a few warnings, and sure enough the station was ablaze (never could wrap my head around fire in space). Took a deep breath and powered through the slot at a buck-fifty. Inside it was all smoke and flames with explosions here and there. My pad stood out nicely and as the heat rapidly increased I fired off a heatsink and set her down in short order. Had to dodge some debris, but no trouble really.

I filled the cabins quickly, taking only missions that were superpower-aligned. Once all 70 were on board, I returned to the ship. I quickly hit left panel and dialed in the rescue vessel and launched amid heat damage warnings. As soon as I was clear of the pad I fired a second heatsink and flew out of the slot. The heatsink did it's job and I turned to line up with the rescue vessel. It's close by and the low-wake to get there took just 10 seconds and dropped back out and landed. Turned in the missions for about 1.2 million.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there is a bonus or something awarded. What I mean is that the missions might say transport 18 unfortunate souls for 153,000. But when I turn it in I get 253,000. Every mission paid 100k more than what it said it would. So I see that as long as this is the case I want to take as many of the smallest missions as possible to rake in the ducats. So the remaining missions paid even more.

I flew a second rescue to this station but there were fewer superpower ones. So I plotted a route to another and ran two more. After the first station I was thinking about how easy it is. It all went without a hitch, the damage incurred was only a few hundred quid to repair. Plus the cost of a couple of heatsinks. At the second station though it was much more tricky. Explosions in this base threw me off course both on landing, and on exit. Just as I was about to touch down an explosion sent me off course and beyond the pad. With heat warnings going off I was forced to quickly regain control and get her down. Did so, but this could result in panic if the commander isn't cool headed smile

As I left another explosion sent me crashing against the edge of the slot. Again, keep a cool head and it is manageable. Extra heatsinks are a good idea in case anything goes wrong. Just in case.

So these missions are fun, pay decent and are a great way to rank up with the superpowers. Not to mention help save fellow humans from certain death. A bigger ship could really rake it in since you can pack a lot more on board and can cycle another run every ten minutes. They raise trader rank for what it's worth, just like any transport mission. I'm considering returning in the Anaconda, but if there is one ship I risk getting stuck on the way out it is the Conda. So maybe not. Perhaps the Python would be a good middle ground for these. Heat's no issue if you have the sinks.

Had a good time and now have another way to spend my Elite time. Good stuff.

#4465007 - 03/11/19 08:37 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I agree, the rescue missions are quite a blast! It take some skill to get in and avoid the floating debris, and even then there are the random explosions like you experienced.
I use my 'Conda for these, I don't find it to be an issue if you can get in and land quickly, and get out as well. I fit 3 heat sinks for rescue runs and I'm not afraid to use them.
Once you land, you don't take on any more heat, and once you are out of the mail slot you are home free, so to speak.
The Conda will fit ~160, so you can really stack the missions! I tend to take the higher rep payouts too so I can rank up faster.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4465024 - 03/11/19 10:40 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think I'll try a few with the Python too.

You bring up rewards and I'm usually torn. I want to rank up with the powers of course. I still haven't unlocked the top ships, and frankly I don't really want any of them, but goals. And when I saw Chucky in his admiral's uniform at the club he looked smashing, so there's that.

On the other hand I want to hit (triple) Elite. I'm not so far away now. I mean in a real sense I am, but in a relative sense it's not too far now. These rescues are raising both superpower and pilot rank and I want both so it's hard to choose. Mostly though I am going money since getting Elite is more appealing than flying a Corvette or a Cutter at the moment. I want to hang out in the pub in Founder's World and rub elbows with the upper crust smile

#4465036 - 03/11/19 11:25 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm a little confused - how does running rescue missions help towards Elite ranking?

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4465044 - 03/12/19 12:00 AM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Missions count toward pilot rank. At least trade and exploration. Not sure about combat, that may just be kills.

But when you take a trade or exploration related mission (indicated by which rank type is shown in the mission details), the money you earn is counted toward the thresholds for those ranks. These rescue missions are considered transport (as opposed to sightseeing for example) and count toward Trade rank. Not as much as the same amount of actual trading would. It's slower, as it seems to me. Likewise, sightseeing missions count toward Exploration rank. So theoretically you could get to Elite never having explored anything. but it would take far longer. Even SRV mileage seems to count toward exploration rank.

This is true for other types of missions as well. For example a boom time delivery mission counts toward trade rank. Just depends on what the mission level type is (Tycoon, Pathfinder, etc)

#4465051 - 03/12/19 12:50 AM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I didn't know that!

-Robert Heinlein
#4465065 - 03/12/19 01:49 AM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So there I was, flying a few more of these rescue missions. Switched to the Python, dropped the scoop and it seats 112. I added heatsinks (in place of the always-always-carried wake scanner) I flew several of these rescue missions, averaged maybe 2 million per load.

Here's the station, things appear dire. Feels good to save the doomed and get paid for it.

[Linked Image]

As I jumped to head home, Thargoids!! Old friends by now. Adlabs said they seem to like me and I think they do. But dammit all, I left the wake scanner at home. I always carry that thing. The ONE time I take it off the Python, the one time! and I get another Thargoid wake I cannot scan. It's always something.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files rescuestation.jpgthargoids.jpg

#4465070 - 03/12/19 02:14 AM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I have yet to run into Thargoids, fortunately!
I decided to do some rescues today too. I'm working on Fed rank currently, though the last station I ran them at had both Fed and Empire factions there. Wound up getting Empire up to Squire, while Fed is at Lt.
I went to Padhyas, there are 5 Fed factions there to do rescues for. The rescue ship is in orbit around an earthlike world, I had to get a screenie of it. It looks amazing in VR. I'll be doing a bunch of these just for the view!!

[Linked Image]

-Robert Heinlein
#4465110 - 03/12/19 11:28 AM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nice view smile

Last year we were talking about the hyperdictions. Adlabs had been trying to get one without success, and I came along and got two. So I hypothesized that perhaps having some Thargoid bits on board might act like bait. I have sensor fragments or somesuch on my boat. May not have anything to do with it, and it's all down to the RNG. But it can't hurt. Of course, you may not want them to pay you a visit.

#4465113 - 03/12/19 11:58 AM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yeah I don't think I'm ready for that, esp if I'm outfitted for station rescue!
It seems logical that having Thargoid bits would draw them to you to me. At some point, I'd like to try fighting them, but Iv'e got a ways to go before then. They used to kick my butt in the original game.

-Robert Heinlein
#4465121 - 03/12/19 12:51 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
These hyperdictions, if that's the right term, are safe. They simply shut your ship down and scan you, then leave. I haven't been attacked. We have this understanding you see.

#4465174 - 03/12/19 04:42 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Ok, if I they jump me I'll tell them I know you and I should be safe! winkngrin

-Robert Heinlein
#4465202 - 03/12/19 06:37 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, tell 'em I sent ya.

I was really surprised to have this happen 35 LY from my home station. But of course Thargoids are the ones who caused this rescue station to need it in the first place, so makes sense. Still, I didn't expect it in this part of the bubble.

#4467118 - 03/22/19 10:49 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If you've read through this thread you're no doubt aware of the series of comedies that have resulted in me, a devoted wake scanner, not having a wake scanner whenever I happen to run in to Thargoids.

But tonight I was ready!

[Linked Image]

These things find me quite interesting it seems. This hyperdiction occurred as I jumped in to an incursion system (Orang) to run a few rescue missions at the damaged station. I was in the Orca, which is fast enough to keep up and I chased the bugger. Was gaining on him and he jumped, leaving behind the green cloud and the wake, which I managed to scan.

Attached Files thargoidwake.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 03/22/19 10:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.