Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4359548 - 05/26/17 09:49 AM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
IMO the monopolisation is really the only problem with Steam, and that's more a problem for developers not customers. So if some new company wants to compete, they'll probably have to follow the Steam model, but not take such a large cut from the devs to promote shopping around. But, us Steam users are lazy smile I think we're in an Amazon-like situation now.

Last edited by DM; 05/26/17 09:51 AM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4359554 - 05/26/17 11:01 AM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
EA Origin is actually a pretty good software distribution client. Too bad there are no games on it though right now that I'm interested in getting. Maybe I'll get ME: Andromeda after it's been patched about 10 times.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/26/17 11:02 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4359574 - 05/26/17 12:36 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Steam pretty much saved pc gaming in the age of consoles by taking the pain out of it. No more c++ redistributable errors, direct x missing .dll crap, searching for patches you didn't know existed etc. Not to mention indie developers have a platform to get noticed and can be successful, instead of just remaining obscure because big publishers don't take risks. All we'd get would be a few charitable console game ports. Indie games would languish in obscurity, lost on the internet, straining for attention.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4359598 - 05/26/17 01:36 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Excellent points you make there RK.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4359601 - 05/26/17 01:55 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I just had a hard drive go paws up..got the replacement in and set up and now heading to Steam for my stuff there,,,I like the convenience of it all have most of my games backed up but there's no muss or fuss with Steam just click install and away it goes..Same with GOG as long as i have Galaxy installed,,But still miss the box with a proper manual and key card and solid CD

Russ
Semper Fi
#4359737 - 05/26/17 11:27 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I checked up on CDkeys and I can't find any instance of any key there ever reported revoked.

As for Steam, what *really* bothered me about this experience was that according to the Google search results I had, it *was* possible once upon a time to directly raise a ticket with them by creating a support account. Now however the option to write to support only enables when you go a million times trough the FAQ and only on very specific questions. The Client and the Store Website both send you to this Help FAQ, and nowhere do you have even a plain evident basic "contact human" option. In fact there isn't a single FAQ entry for "I can't activate my game", only being told that if you have a problem with a retail key to report it to the store you bought it from.

And *that* to me is just disrespectful to the paying customer. If I pay money for a title and can't activate it (or get a clear error code that the key is invalid) then you are keeping me from playing what I paid for, and you can't even be bothered to offer help.

Alas as I said above, given my mode of operations it's not actually a problem because I know my way around. But it's one more reason why I hate this product, and the posted by Adorante lists plenty more problems.

#4359796 - 05/27/17 05:58 AM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

My MMORPG Steam game Sphere III has been almost continuously down for a month with just a very brief 20 minute access two days ago. It's OK until I reach the character selection screen and that's as far as I can get.

Particularly frustrating because I am only one and a half levels from the all-powerful 50!

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4359853 - 05/27/17 05:30 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Every time I see a thread like this, I buy a Steam game (or ten.) right

Seriously, though, you're not a paying customer of Steam, RS. At best you're a customer of and paying someone undercutting Steam. No offense, but that's the truth.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4359855 - 05/27/17 05:37 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Steam pretty much saved pc gaming in the age of consoles by taking the pain out of it. No more c++ redistributable errors, direct x missing .dll crap, searching for patches you didn't know existed etc. Not to mention indie developers have a platform to get noticed and can be successful, instead of just remaining obscure because big publishers don't take risks. All we'd get would be a few charitable console game ports. Indie games would languish in obscurity, lost on the internet, straining for attention.

thumbsup

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4359858 - 05/27/17 05:51 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: Airdrop01]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by Airdrop01
Every time I see a thread like this, I buy a Steam game (or ten.) right

Seriously, though, you're not a paying customer of Steam, RS. At best you're a customer of and paying someone undercutting Steam. No offense, but that's the truth.

Depends where you are buying from. Valve takes a 30% cut. Some of the good sites just take less of a cut (say 10%) which is why the price is lower. The developers will still make the same money.

#4359866 - 05/27/17 07:32 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: Airdrop01]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted by Airdrop01

Explain that to me please.

Steam accepts these keys as legit. The site I bought them from is not making them up from thin air obviously so they must have come from somewhere at Valve in a legal way.

So, I'm guilty of a supporting a business practice that Steam also supports?

#4359870 - 05/27/17 08:00 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
ADorante Offline
ADorante  Offline

Re: Undercutting ->

Steam and GOG take 30% cut of revenue vs. Humble Bundle 5% says Fez creator

Deals between distributors and devs tend to be secretive affairs bound by legal tape, unholy rites and signatures of blood and the like, but Edge have spotted a tweet from the creator of Fez, Phil Fish, who encourages players to buy through Humble Bundle because "we get 95% of revenues as opposed to steam/gog's 70%"

"It's people like you that give people like you a bad name!"
- Jessica Jones
#4359875 - 05/27/17 08:37 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
My understanding is that you bought something from CDKeys. My understanding is that they buy region free games in bulk, say in Russia where the economy is trash, at very depressed prices. Then they use the codes from that to sell globally. That is shady at best, and most certainly means you are not a customer of Steam/Valve. I would be stunned if in the licensing agreement that isn't verboten.

Assuming it is verboten, any play you get out of it is a gift.

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm obviously not a Valve insider.

#4359906 - 05/28/17 01:39 AM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Well, if Steam disagrees with the practice they can always region-code the keys.

Valve uses any legal loophole in the book with their TOS. I certainly don't feel shady using a reseller who might do the same.

#4360297 - 05/30/17 06:08 PM Re: Another "burn in hell, Steam" thread from me ;) [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
Well, if Steam disagrees with the practice they can always region-code the keys.

Valve uses any legal loophole in the book with their TOS. I certainly don't feel shady using a reseller who might do the same.

This is becoming a problem for some developers, so now you can no longer gift games to people in other regions if the prices vary a decent bit. So your issue is being addressed. The problem, I probably can't buy a game on Steam and gift it to a friend in Europe, or Australia, ect. That was a truly wonderful feature and it is sad to see it get limited. What other gift could you send to a friend across borders without being charged more than its worth in duties and shipping?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.