Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4069812 - 01/26/15 10:02 PM Re: Excellent video on criticism by Arma3's Dslyecxi [Re: Fridge]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I don't think this is a deliberate delaying tactic, no. I don't think it's malicious, no.

I do wonder between the two possibilities of "knew it wasn't going to make that date and decided to wait till it was passed to update date" and "didn't know it wasn't going to make that date and internal communication was insufficient to get that info out" which is more likely.

There were certainly SOME people who had to know it wouldn't, programmers still working on it at a minimum.

But my point about calling it pre-alpha stands. You shouldn't call something that just missed a release date "pre-alpha". If they said it was in closed beta, totally makes sense, yes. Going to open beta in a month or so out yet, fine. But if it was still in pre-alpha in November, in what universe will it be released by the end of December?
The very title of the development stage should've rung some bells that it wasn't going to happen.

Maybe they should've kept the "pre-alpha" moniker to themselves, because to me that's the smoking gun that the Dec release was far too ambitious.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4069814 - 01/26/15 10:05 PM Re: Excellent video on criticism by Arma3's Dslyecxi [Re: scrim]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: scrim
Except ED was always developing the 190, so that's hardly something RRG can be blamed for. RRG who by the way said a whole lot of very ambitious things about DCS with no objections from ED, until several months later when the fundraiser was over everything RRG had been taken over by ED. You know, that seems like weird and rather inappropriate behaviour from a 3rd party dev. You'd think that ED would step in and tell them off for spreading unfounded claims rolleyes

Far as I understood it, RRG took over certain aspects of the 190, documentation, cockpit and cockpit coding, etc... but alas, all water under the bridge at this point. Sometimes we need to let go of our bitterness and just remember what is important in life wink

Far as I am concerned, the 109 and 190 were mere days delayed... but I guess its like Obi wan said, from a certain point of view...

#4069824 - 01/26/15 10:21 PM Re: Excellent video on criticism by Arma3's Dslyecxi [Re: Jedi Master]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
But my point about calling it pre-alpha stands. You shouldn't call something that just missed a release date "pre-alpha". If they said it was in closed beta, totally makes sense, yes. Going to open beta in a month or so out yet, fine. But if it was still in pre-alpha in November, in what universe will it be released by the end of December?
The very title of the development stage should've rung some bells that it wasn't going to happen.

It was supposed to be released to testers, not open beta or anything. You still wouldn't be seeing it for months - but that's just Nevada.

Quote:
Maybe they should've kept the "pre-alpha" moniker to themselves, because to me that's the smoking gun that the Dec release was far too ambitious.

Fair enough. I'd call it pre-beta, but I don't know what criteria are used for this internally. There are still features to add, and I don't know if it is feature/mission creep, changing of the guard, or EDGE becoming more capable. In any case, they're trying to make it an absolutely kick-ass piece of terrain.

--
44th VFW
#4069910 - 01/27/15 02:00 AM Re: Excellent video on criticism by Arma3's Dslyecxi [Re: Eddie]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Originally Posted By: Eddie

Also the apparent attitude of some of the moderators (and testers) who surround ED is the largest contributor to the current issues that are being seen, not only on the ED forums but in the wider world (discussions I've read on some gaming forums make the criticism here and on the ED boards seem like high praise in comparison). I like to believe that those individuals exhibiting such attitudes are not doing these things through malice or ill intent, but rather ignorance and/or naivety although that doesn't make it any less frustrating and angering for those experiencing it.

I've watched ED forum moderators and testers (who will remain nameless) tell retired, and active, military pilots that they are wrong and they know better because something they read in a certain document/sales brochure said so. And I've seen the same happen to active and retired aircraft engineers and ground crew, me being one of them. That kind of thing isn't exactly the best way to build credibility or develop connections to further the product or build its reputation.

I see a lot of that on the various forums I peruse and have to smack them upside their heads (especially on the BI forums) and one time on the ED forums I think one guy was like "Just make a waypoint" and Everything Is Solved Regarding CAS. While I've never been a real pilot I know that CAS is more than just a pilot making a waypoint, etc. Matter of fact I had to do a talk on to an A-10C pilot (non-contact) and tell him where a village was. Sure he had his TAD and all his doohickeys but again it was bare bones simple skills at work. Sure you can pass a grid whoopdie-do, but still even with high-tech stuff everything is still very basic there. And quite frankly it's just the new generation man, as I've seen one guy on the BI Forums tell a vet who was in the area for real, told that they had "enough information" and didn't need a veteran's help. Which is why I always support veteran gamers more than civilians, regardless of what game or simulation it is. Granted yeah,some civilians have good ideas but they're still dumb when it comes to real-world applications of things they're supposed to model, "But I read the-" Yeah whatever.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4069918 - 01/27/15 02:20 AM Re: Excellent video on criticism by Arma3's Dslyecxi [Re: Fridge]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I'm of the opinion that these are video games and not much else.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4069920 - 01/27/15 02:26 AM Re: Excellent video on criticism by Arma3's Dslyecxi [Re: Fridge]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Agreed, which is why I don't or really roll my eyes when everybody quotes real world specs sometimes too. Yeah that's really great, but simulation performance is what I evaluate. Now if you're flying an Su-27 and you get better mileage with a Mig-29 then something is not right, but still regarding that I'd still ask a vet who's used that system to get a feel for how to apply it to a game or so on. Every game or simulation has it's limitation but again, on the whole I'd ask somebody who actually flew or used X thing and go from there.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4069924 - 01/27/15 02:32 AM Re: Excellent video on criticism by Arma3's Dslyecxi [Re: Fridge]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
There are many Alpha's on the Road to Beta's.....

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4070073 - 01/27/15 02:18 PM Re: Excellent video on criticism by Arma3's Dslyecxi [Re: GrayGhost]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost

Fair enough. I'd call it pre-beta, but I don't know what criteria are used for this internally. There are still features to add, and I don't know if it is feature/mission creep, changing of the guard, or EDGE becoming more capable. In any case, they're trying to make it an absolutely kick-ass piece of terrain.

Forget Nevada, I just want EDGE for the Black Sea at this point.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.