NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Top Gun

that's funny you said that, I heard some Paul McCartney songs I like back from his Wings days and I was attacked with Beetles songs which I hate.
I think the underlying assumption of Pandora's system is that if you like music from Wings you most likely also like stuff from the Beatles and I can say from my own personal experience that that seems to be the case. Your case is not typical so it threw off Pandora's system!

Still doesn't explain how Outkast, Luda, Eminem, The Roots, Wu Tang, Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest, and Lupe Fiasco somehow leads into "Danni California," or how Angie Stone, John Legend, Jill Scott, and Mary J. Blige somehow relates to "Eight Days a Week."

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4044613 - 12/02/14 10:22 PM Re: Do you still buy music? [Re: MarkG]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted By: MarkG
Nah, keep the streaming, just bring back LPs (and music stores) in force with included CD (since they're still making LPs and CDs as of today). I'd still burn the CD to MP3 and for lossless archiving (no longer have a turntable), but I'd also once again have the packaging, which I'd happily pay a little more for.

Probably a bad idea since new music isn't so album based anyway, right? But I'd love (for example) to have the Boston, Don't Look Back and Third Stage full-sized albums again. It's too bad they didn't use my idea when CDs first started coming out, instead of killing the LP just include an additional digital plastic disc in a paper sleeve.

To me, LPs are good for one thing and one thing only - cover art. Would you rather see this:

or this:

On 2 square feet of awesomeness, or 50 square inches of...blah?

We have a local chain of independent music stores called Bull Moose Music, and I really like going in there. In Concord NH there's one called Pitchfork Records that's tailored more toward LPs, but you never know what you'll find when you go in. A friend and I were in there once and she found Gary Wright's "The Dream Weaver" on LP and HAD to have it. I could NOT stop laughing at his pic on the back! "Wonder Twin powers, activate! Form of - an ice synthesizer!" LOL

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4044630 - 12/02/14 10:57 PM Re: Do you still buy music? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
^This, I love LPs for that reason some album covers you can get lost in looking at all the details (Iron Maiden have some great examples). The sound is superior too, its just too bad we can't have backpack record players for portable music. Nothing can beat the 160gb ipod for convenience which is why I love mine. I can listen to Coltrane one minute, Maiden the next then onto some Buddy Miles or if I'm in a thrash metal mood some classic Sepultura! But while the quality and fun isn't there you can't deny the portability of gigantic music collection.

Last edited by HitchHikingFlatlander; 12/02/14 10:57 PM.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4044686 - 12/03/14 01:16 AM Re: Do you still buy music? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Yeah, I want full size album art back, this just doesn't cut it...

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4044878 - 12/03/14 02:25 PM Re: Do you still buy music? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
There are plenty of box sets of vinyl plus CDs available now. However, they are geared to enthusiasts and you're talking about $40+ per album or entire collections for $200+.

Speaking of The Beatles, after their UK catalog was released in both stereo and mono on CD in 2009, and the US catalog released I think late last year (with stereo and mono on the same CD since they were short enough to fit the album twice in 79 mins of space), the vinyl collection was released earlier this year.

I mean just look at this:
Amazon vinyl new releases

If you actually want it, go right ahead, it's there.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.