Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3617857 - 08/01/12 05:43 AM Few DCS World MP screenies  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Hopped on TS3 tonight, saw Wheel in the channel, and we loaded up my modified MP mission to go plinking. Just after we started, FearlessFrog joined up to jump into the fight.

Sick of getting pummeled by the Tunguskas and Strelas, I took up a Frogfoot rigged for SEAD. I'd read up on the Su-25T keys and was confident I could do some damage with the the Kh-58 and the Kh-25MPU radar killers, (aka HARMskis). The pair of Kh-25MLs would be used on any armor or other targets once the air threats were cleared.

Despite the less-than-DCS-real cockpit, the Frogfoot is so fun to fly. Why can't a third-party modder give me full functionality in this bad boy? <hint hint hint>

Each of the 2 58s and 2 Kh-25MPUs I fired at the radar sites missed their mark by about 100m or so. Since the weapons are supposed to be passive homing and the emitters were constantly transmitting, I began to wonder about the integrity of whichever lowest bidder got to build these oversized bottle rockets. I was able to put my second Kh-25ML into a Tunguska, but only after wasting the first on an aborted pass.

With just my air-to-air missiles and only a passing desire to shoot down Wheel or Frog, I returned to base and made an uneventful landing, except that, on roll out, my nosewheel steering wasn't responding and I drifted helplessly onto the runway shoulder before coming to a stop. WTF? After an emergency shutdown on the field, an external inspection showed that the bad guys must have put a few rounds into my nose, disabling the nosewheel steering. Not bad, considering how bad the damage could have been.

My ride wrecked, I hopped into a JTAC spot and started marking targets for Wheel and Frog.

Winchester, Wheel calls it a night, and Frog and I are left to play in the battlezone. Being Truly Tactical(tm), we decide to practice some formation flying. We have some more work to do, but it was fun times.

We head back to the battle area, to demonstrate just how Truly Tactical(tm) we are, and we both get wasted on our first pass. So much for that merit badge. <sigh>

To mix it up, Frog and I hop into P-51Ds and Frog learns just how impossible it is to taxi or takeoff in the P-51D without differential braking or effective propwash on the rudder. He goes for an air-start A-10C instead, and we do some formation flying, Heritage style. With Frog flying at 200-215 knots, I'm able to keep up in the P-51D. Due to the intensity of trying to keep formation, I didn't get any screenshots, although I did capture some FRAPS video of it. As we approach the target area, I split from the formation and do a low-level (100' AGL) rocket attack on the front line tanks. I didn't score any kills, but I'm pretty sure I annoyed the bejesus out of them. I'm even able to egress from the area unscathed, but my success leaves me complacent and cocky - I go high while turning back to target and the Tunguska finds and kills me (I did last a bit longer than Frog, though! wink ).

I hop back into my P-51D, start 'er up and taxi to the runway and am quite surprised to see who joins me.

Frog and I try some formation flying with the Ka-50 on the P-51D's wing, but the challenge is just too much for us and we never really make a nice form up.

In fact, shortly after the shot above, Frog and I demonstrate the truth in the old adage: "It's all fun and games until someone's rotor disk crashes through your empennage!".

<sigh> There's always next week!

Last edited by EinsteinEP; 08/01/12 02:20 PM.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3617950 - 08/01/12 09:56 AM Re: Few DCS World MP screenies [Re: EinsteinEP]  
tomcat Offline
tomcat  Offline

Halifax, NS, Canada
smile Good read!

#3618174 - 08/01/12 05:03 PM Re: Few DCS World MP screenies [Re: EinsteinEP]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

They have yet to build an airframe I can't crash! smile

Unfortunately my screenshots came out badly, I think due to the iPad iControl thing I use (three screens of black, with the active MFD image in on of them).

Formation flying the Ka50 with the P-51 was crazily hard (MPH - KPH, um knots..) and my trim button got a beating for sure. Watching the P-51 attack the tanks was fun too, although I just sat their giggling as SAMs and Shrika's lit up the sky in front of me smile

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.