Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million

Posted by: SkateZilla

Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/09/12 04:06 PM

the Terra Nova Renewal was pending on at least 2 Spring Shows being flops, both shows had decent numbers, and now they are rumoring that Terra Nova is about to get the official good bye from FOX.

Also,

MGM has paid off their "Bankrupcty" Loan 4 years ahead of Time and Secured a $500 Million Credit Line.
Rumors of SG:U Cast members getting phone calls are spreading around the Stargate Boards (I'd rather have an Atlantis Movie TBH, which is prolly the likely route they'd go if any, One Atlantis Movie would cost about half a season, and prolly get more money via Sales and Online streams deal.) That and major members of the SGU cast are busy filming other shows now. I'd rather See Jewel Staite on BluRay.
Posted by: PanzerMeyer

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/09/12 04:11 PM

Terra Nova quite simply wasn't getting enough ratings to cover its high cost of production. By comparison, the show "Alcatraz" with a significantly lower production cost is getting much higher ratings than Terra Nova was getting. Also, Fox today officially cancelled "House" so it looks like Fox will be dumping a lot of expenses this week!
Posted by: No Name

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/09/12 05:10 PM

Surprise Terra Nova lasted even this long.
Posted by: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/09/12 05:30 PM

Another reason sci fi fails. Fans are afraid to get attached to a show since they rarely seem to make it beyond 1 season, if that long. More of these should start as a min-series like BSG did to get some real commitments to being aired if they pass public opinion.
Posted by: WynnTTr

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/09/12 06:03 PM

Dinosaurs are so 90's.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/09/12 08:13 PM

The dinos weren't really what the show was about is the funny thing. They were a peripheral danger, but not much of an issue. The show was getting pretty good with the 2 way portal back to the future. I got bored with it after a couple of weeks, but the dvr was still recording. I'm glad I went back and gave the show a 2nd chance. It was slow to start, but the show developed into something pretty good IMO. Hope it makes the cut, the story was about to take off with a good season cliffhanger.
Posted by: Psycho

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/09/12 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

Rumors of SG:U Cast members getting phone calls are spreading around the Stargate Boards (I'd rather have an Atlantis Movie TBH, which is prolly the likely route they'd go if any, One Atlantis Movie would cost about half a season, and prolly get more money via Sales and Online streams deal.) That and major members of the SGU cast are busy filming other shows now. I'd rather See Jewel Staite on BluRay.

I'd like that also although I guess I must lean toward older women. Nothing against Jewel, but I'd rather see Amanda Tapping on BluRay smile For that reason, I'd hope they include some SG-1 cast members also. Maybe getting a little Teal'c/Ronan interaction going, and a little Jack O'Neill sarcasm would be welcomed also.
Posted by: Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 09:29 AM

SG Ark of Truth and Continuum are both on Bluray, as is all of SG Atlantis, which had Carter for S4 as well as numerous guest appearances and Staite for most of S5.

Also, all of Sanctuary is on BD if you want some accented dark-haired Tapping as is Firefly and Serenity for some younger Staite. wink
Actually, it's been 10 years since Firefly, Staite is hardly "young" now. She's older than Tapping was when SG1 started IIRC.

I also was tepid to TN at first but grew into it, so naturally it's cancelled. Again, like so many SF shows, it was slow to start and killed just as it was finding its groove. Same with Outcasts, Firefly, Caprica, SGU (it took a full 2 years for that one to get going, of course), Defying Gravity, and many others.

They could put SGU on hold for now pending those actors being available, I would like to see what happened with SGA honestly. After the series finale (which wasn't supposed to be), we know nothing more other than McKay and Wolsey's appearance on SGU which had zero explanation. It was like Worf appearing in ST Nemesis on the bridge of the Enterprise as if he's always been there just a couple of years after DS9's end making him the ambassador to the Klingon Empire with no reason.

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 09:49 AM

The harsh reality is that in today's tv business, tv shows don't have the luxury of taking a while to "get going". They pretty much have to be hits right out of the gate.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 10:29 AM

Which is why we're seeing more and more short series. TN and Alcatraz just 10 eps! This new one on ABC, The River, only 8!

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 11:04 AM

I'm amazed the Walking Dead is doing so well. Not heavy in CGI, but it's not just some quick costume drama either.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I'm amazed the Walking Dead is doing so well. Not heavy in CGI, but it's not just some quick costume drama either.
The zombie genre has been really popular for the past few years now. I haven't watched the show myself so I can't comment on the actual quality of the writing.

By the way, Happy Birthday!

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 11:12 AM

Only Southland competes in writing. Mainly since those are 2 of my current favorite shows. LOL
Posted by: Mace71

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 11:51 AM

Walking Dead starts up again this Sunday biggrin
Posted by: No Name

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 12:40 PM

Really- more Walking Dead? Sweet.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 12:46 PM

Zombieland starts this summer/fall prolly.... wichita was hot as hell in that vneck...
Posted by: Mace71

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: peppergomez
Really- more Walking Dead? Sweet.

Yeah, there was a stupid season break so this is the second half.
Posted by: AWL_Spinner

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/10/12 07:47 PM

Woohoo!

Best show on TV at the moment IMHO, looking forward to the restart.
Posted by: Rick.50cal

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/12/12 07:01 PM

Zombieland starts this summer/fall prolly.... wichita was hot as hell in that vneck...

?

Saw the movie a few years ago...are you talking about a new tv show? or a sequel movie? Animated cartoon?

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/12/12 11:21 PM

A Zombieland 2 film is being made but I'm not aware of any tv show by the title "Zombieland".
Posted by: Navigator

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/13/12 12:38 AM

Fox has a bad rep of not supporting there shows.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/13/12 09:49 AM

Not since the 90s anyway. Back then, most of their shows got a shot. Starting with Space Above and Beyond, that changed.

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/13/12 10:08 AM

At least Fox found the error of its ways with "Family Guy" and brought it back!

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/13/12 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
A Zombieland 2 film is being made but I'm not aware of any tv show by the title "Zombieland".

They movie was meant to be a pilot for a series, but they couldnt get a network to sign on,

The series will be aired by Fox,

http://screenrant.com/zombieland-tv-series-fox-sandy-136836/

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/13/12 10:52 AM

They movie was meant to be a pilot for a series, but they couldnt get a network to sign on,

The series will be aired by Fox,

http://screenrant.com/zombieland-tv-series-fox-sandy-136836/

I guess Fox is trying to cash in on the success AMC has had with the "Walking Dead". One big disadvantage for Fox though will be that the show will have to be toned down with the violence since it's a major broadcast network.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/13/12 12:12 PM

the entire zombie land movie felt like a pilot tbh...

Zombie Kill of the Week goes to....................................................... Old Lady Drawing Zombie to building and Dropping a Piano on said Zombie..

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/13/12 03:14 PM

I think they could make a great game out of that.

The Jedi Master
Posted by: SHar82

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/13/12 04:09 PM

nothing really worth of second season... IMHO: pretty bland plots and action and so much "cliche and deja vu"... quite Boooring! Fortunately Games of Throne will be back soon...

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/14/12 08:19 AM

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Zombieland-2-Is-Done-But-the-Cast-May-Be-Too--125738138.html

The stars just don't feel like doing another Zombieland movie.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/17/12 10:58 AM

Fox is reporting that even with high costs.. Terra Nova was "profitable."

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/17/12 01:19 PM

Maybe it will make the cut then?
I noticed TNT showing a rerun of Fallen Skies last week, did that survive too?

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/17/12 01:29 PM

I noticed TNT showing a rerun of Fallen Skies last week, did that survive too?
Yes, in fact they are almost done with shooting all of the episodes for season 2.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/17/12 02:25 PM

The question is will the 2nd seasons be better than the first? Both those series need to improve and with that their ratings. "More of the same" isn't going to get them to S3, as costs are only going to increase.

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/17/12 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
The question is will the 2nd seasons be better than the first? Both those series need to improve and with that their ratings. "More of the same" isn't going to get them to S3, as costs are only going to increase.

The Jedi Master
Well on her FB fanpage, Luciana Carro said that the season 2 finale will "blow fans away". Of course, she could just be selling the show since she will be a recurring character now. biggrin

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/17/12 05:05 PM

Unfortunately I stopped watching about halfway through, but maybe they'll show season 1 again before starting. I'll give it another shot.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/20/12 01:59 PM

SyFy can pout all they want..

but im hearing rumors of at least 2 MGM tv shows being revived next fall (2013), that will be Aired on the "Science" channel.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/20/12 03:28 PM

What shows?

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/20/12 03:31 PM

What shows?
I'm sure one of them is SG:U but I have no idea on the other one.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/20/12 04:00 PM

What shows?
I'm sure one of them is SG:U but I have no idea on the other one.

only if Once apon a time takes a nose dive soon..

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/21/12 09:20 AM

What would that show have to do with any other show?

The Jedi Master
Posted by: Rick.50cal

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/21/12 09:29 AM

It seems that show's fortunes often require other shows to fail, because ultimately it's about how many commercials can be shown for the most profit: higher ratings, higher profit. So if a moderate show nosedives (Once Upon), then another show (SGU) that has a modest but stable/dedicated/fanatic fanbase, could be seen as more profitable.

One thing I find interesting in recent years is that while tv shows have faced a much more immediate need to get ratings or die, a small number of shows have gone zombie: "revived from the grave!", like Futurama and Family Guy.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/21/12 09:49 AM

Except OUAT is on ABC and SGU was on SFC, so there's no link there.

As an aside, I laughed when the boy on OUAT was playing Space Paranoids. It's funny watching everything Disney getting put into this show.

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/21/12 10:07 AM

Suggest you look at the cast, and the filming schedules.

Unless they write it so Rush is killed rather quickly he wont be available to film this summer.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/22/12 08:27 AM

Carlyle isn't in every episode. Both shows have large ensemble casts so it would be easy to accomodate that, just as they used to accomodate RDA's limited schedule for S7-8 of SG-1.

Besides, since when has SFC adhered to ANY schedule at all? They've got no problem with delaying eps a year or longer for their own arcane, or perhaps senile, reasons. They could easily film SGU once OUAT is done and wait to air them until next year.
And while I'd like to see how SGU turns out, I care far more about some sort of Atlantis wrap up or even a final SG-1 film.

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/22/12 08:33 AM

I wonder how many new sci-fi shows we'll have this coming Fall? **snicker**

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/22/12 11:42 AM

except MGM is working to put them on the Science Channel, not SyFy.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/22/12 12:02 PM

Good! Maybe they're trying to do something more serious and want to distance themselves from anacondas, wrasslin' and Debbie Gibson vs Tiffany.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/22/12 12:11 PM

Good and Debbie Gibson vs Tiffany.
Even though I must admit a Tiffany vs. Debbie Gibson creamed corn wrestling match while wearing skimpy bikinis sounds intriguing.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/22/12 01:16 PM

How hard is it to wrestle creamed corn?

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 02/22/12 02:37 PM

Tiffany would win as she is bigger

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/06/12 07:18 AM

Looks like it's dead. Unfortunate. Maybe another channel will take it on.
http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1220074p1.html

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/06/12 08:00 AM

Looks like it's dead. Unfortunate. Maybe another channel will take it on.
http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1220074p1.html
Very doubtful unless the show is made on the cheap.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/07/12 10:10 AM

Supposedly the 2nd season would have been cheaper, as so many of the sets and props are already done, and usually repeat visFX are cheaper to do than the first time because there's no R&D involved.

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/07/12 10:15 AM

Supposedly the 2nd season would have been cheaper, as so many of the sets and props are already done, and usually repeat visFX are cheaper to do than the first time because there's no R&D involved.

The Jedi Master
Good point but it was a case of "too little too late" for Terra Nova. Maybe BBC America will pick it up? lol
Posted by: kramer

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 09:46 AM

Netflix May Resurrect "Terra Nova": http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/23261/netflix-may-resurrect-terra-nova

Quote:
Deadline reports that the video streaming giant and 20th Century Fox TV have been in talks about keeping the just cancelled pre-historic drama "Terra Nova" alive which would premiere exclusively on Netflix.

However "conversations are preliminary and it is unclear if they will materialize into a negotiation".

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 10:53 AM

Now we're talking!
Would be better if they got Firefly going though. wink
Seems like a good idea for them to move in this direction with the service.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 10:55 AM

The big mystery question is whether or not Netflix can provide an adequate budget for the show. I mean, if they go so cheap on the budget that the quality of the show suffers then that defeats the purpose.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 11:05 AM

Netflix has been trying to Sign multiple "popular" SciFishows.

They were trying to get Stargate Universe and Atlantis, as well as Rights to the next Movie to be on netflix before the DVD Release.
Of course MGM still had that contract with SciFi/SyFy at the time. so that fell through.

if i read my press release right,

Netflix has signed as prelim deal to become a Cable channel (like HBO/Epix),

so they are most likely trying to secure shows that fans want to see, just to get them to flock to their channel when it launches.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 11:08 AM

The Jedi Master

Depends on if the Sets are property of the studio or company that paid for the show's filming, (FOX),

So if they went with another studio, sets and props would either have to be purchased or re-done. (option A will still be cheaper).

as for VisualEffects, those belong to the studio that was paid to edit post production, so they are already done, the 3d Models/Animations that took so long to build and animate are already done.
Posted by: Falstar

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 11:36 AM

I wonder what happened to the Firefly set?

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Falstar
I wonder what happened to the Firefly set?
It was last used for "Serenity" in early 2005 so I think it's safe to say that set is long gone.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 12:24 PM

it was auctioned off along with parts of the old SG1 set.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 12:44 PM

One piece was found in the desert and restored, the ambulance shuttle from the Ariel episode.

http://www.arielambulance.org/
Posted by: kilosierra

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 01:18 PM

Terra Nova started here two weeks ago, so far Im not overwhelmed.

But as some of you said that it`s picking up later on, I`ll continue watching it.

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: kilosierra
Terra Nova started here two weeks ago, so far Im not overwhelmed.

But as some of you said that it`s picking up later on, I`ll continue watching it.

So how do the dinosaur roars sound in German? wink
Posted by: kilosierra

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/08/12 03:06 PM

Probs with zhe T-H, as always.... biggrin

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/11/12 02:29 PM

One piece was found in the desert and restored, the ambulance shuttle from the Ariel episode.

http://www.arielambulance.org/

that prop was used in more than FireFly,

For Example, there's one set of Twin Statues, they were used in a 90's savage Garden Video, 2 or 3 movies in the early 2000's, a Battlestar Galactica Episode and one of the Stargate Atlantis Sets

There were originally 2, 1 Was found in a thriftstore in Cali Somewhere, the other is still being used AFAIK

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/11/12 11:52 PM

a Battlestar Galactica Episode and one of the Stargate Atlantis Sets

There were originally 2, 1 Was found in a thriftstore in Cali Somewhere, the other is still being used AFAIK

In which BSG episode did that appear? And do you remember where it was?

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/12/12 12:33 PM

It was the Galactica's hood ornament.

The Jedi Master

Re: Terra Nova Cancellation Pending, MGM Secures $500 Million - 03/12/12 12:44 PM

It was the Galactica's hood ornament.

The Jedi Master
LOL. No Mercedes or Cadillac ornament though?