homepage

F-15C Track While Scan Mode

Posted By: Throst

F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/18/13 07:30 PM

Forgive my ignorance but why would you ever NOT use TWS mode in the F-15c? It seems to give you so much more information and allows you to shoot multiple dudes at the same time.
Posted By: Jacobs

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/18/13 07:51 PM

It's slower and searches a lesser air volume than RWS.
Posted By: Mace71

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/18/13 07:51 PM

It's slower I think, so you would use it for longer BVR ranges and then use RWS etc at closer ranges. I think, been a while since I played with radar smile

EDIT: Jacobs ninja posted whilst I was smile
Posted By: GrayGhost

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/18/13 07:53 PM

It isn't slower, but it does search less volume. (I suppose if you consider the number of hits required to build a proper track to be slow, then that is true - but all those aspects of TWS are not represented. Another reason to use STT (not RWS, but STT tracking) is that despite the warning that the bandit will get, you can send real-time updates to your missile. Again, this is N/A in FC)
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/20/13 05:11 PM

In other words, RWS might see targets ahead of you that TWS would miss, or require you to get closer to.

If you're not engaging or preparing to engage, there's no reason not to use RWS to get the best picture. TWS is better once you want to get info on targets without doing STT and giving away your intentions. wink

The Jedi Master

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/21/13 12:03 AM

That sounds fair, yep. TWS is a better situational awareness mode, and the 60deg azimuth limitations is a 1989 radar limitation. Modern F-15's don't care as much. Like you said, choose the mode for the best SA you can get for a given situation smile

TWS will pick up things as far as RWS, but again, TWS gets twice the AZ.
Posted By: Longbow fanatic

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/22/13 06:56 PM

when you have multiple targets bugged in TWS and you fire your first slamer, do you have to wait for it to go pitbull before you fire at the next bugged target? Or can you just fire at each target as fast as yo can pull the trigger?

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/22/13 08:40 PM

Fire as fast as you can.
Posted By: IamFritz

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/28/13 01:10 AM

Well, in reality the missiles fire no faster than 3 seconds apart (data download to missile, data-link establishment, ejection mechanism firing and rocket firing, you know), but compared to Delta Daggers and Phantoms, that's pretty AWESOME.

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/28/13 01:57 PM

In reality they can launch faster than that. In fact certain aircraft have a volley fire mode.

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 01/28/13 06:10 PM

That would be the F-14, and its internal "volley ball beach mode" that removes the shirts from pilot and WSO and applies oil.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Justin Case

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 02/10/13 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
That would be the F-14, and its internal "volley ball beach mode" that removes the shirts from pilot and WSO and applies oil.

clapping
I've just spent a good 20 minutes reading through an entire thread about the AIM-120 over at ED...yet that was the best I've seen today!
Posted By: Longbow fanatic

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 02/11/13 07:48 PM

mmm boy going to see Top Gun on Imax that volley ball scene should look really good!

Re: F-15C Track While Scan Mode - 02/12/13 03:03 PM

And it will be in 3D! The pecs will come RIGHT AT YOU.

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums