homepage

HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download!

Posted By: FltLt HardBall

HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 02:01 PM

MODS: could you sticky this for a while? Thanks smile

Hi folks,

Well, it's been a while, but it's finally ready!

Sorry about the wait, but I lost the source code and had to pretty-much re-build the whole thing from scratch.

There are two versions, a regular install version, and a non-install version that will run from inside its own folder, or even from a memory stick or CD.

Here's where you can find it:
Regular full-install version.

Stand-alone non-install version.

The new Opera browser has a cool feature which lets anyone host their own files, so there 's no need to rush to provide mirrors (I'll keep these links up for a few days, so feel free to mirror it anytime before then if you want).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a screenshot:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the ReadMe:

ReadMe for HardBall's Aircraft Viewer for IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 - Version 4.09

By Flight Lieutenant HardBall

----------------------------------------------------------

Introduction:

This program will allow you to compare data from aircraft in the IL-2 series of flight simulators side-by-side. You are not currently able to do this with the in-game object viewer.

For the most part, the data in this demo has been taken from the IL-2/FB in-game object viewer and IL-2 Compare (thanks to Ross Youss), with the permission of Oleg Maddox.

Where that data has been unavailable or insufficient I have made an effort to obtain the most accurate alternative data possible. For example, I have used LesniHU's "Autopilot" program to manually derive maximum speeds from some aircraft that were not in IL2 Compare, such as the Me-262 HGII.

There may be potential for debate as to the accuracy of some aspects this data, so it is presented here on an "as is" basis. Having said that, my program relies heavily on data from IL-2 Compare Version 4.09, which frankly is the closest you will get to actual in-game performance without exhaustive manual testing. Thanks to Ross Youss, only a very few aircraft still have the odd data item and comment missing so if you can fill those gaps, please let me know!

Special thanks to Martin Kubani from Team Daidalos for providing me with IL2Compare data for the new 4.09 aircraft.
I would also like to thank Vincent Trelut for his helpful advice and support.

Changes: (Version 4.09):

Added aircraft from IL-2:1946 version 4.09, namely:

Avia B-534-IVCurtiss CW-21 B “Demon”
Fiat G-55 “Centauro”, Series I
Fiat G-55 “Centauro”, Series I Late
Fokker D.XXI (Danish Version)
Fokker D.XXI-2 (Dutch Version)
Fokker D.XXI-3 Early (Finnish Version)
Fokker D.XXI-3 Late (Finnish Version)
Fokker D.XXI S4 (Finnish Version)
Polikarpov I-15 bis (I-152)
Polikarpov I-16 Type 5
Polikarpov I-16 Type 6
Letov S-328-II Smolik
Reggiane Re-2000 “Falco”
SIAI Marchetti SM.79-I “Sparviero”

Changed to flyable:

Macchi MC-200 VII FB “Saetta”

Re-worked some aircraft performance data to come in-line with IL-2 Compare v4.09, as provided by Team Daidalos

Added data items for some aircraft as information became available, or was able to be extrapolated from existing data.

Added more icons which display an aircraft's "special features", namely:
If an aircraft can tow gliders in-game;
If an aircraft has skis on winter maps. Note: Some ski-equipped aircraft are player-selectable
regardless of which map is used in-game, whilst others will only have skis on winter maps.

This may be useful for users who are not aware that these features are available in-game. It is also useful as a quick reference for mission builders. This feature can be turned on or off by clicking on either aircraft picture.

Added ordnance data for new weapons available in-game, namely:
250 kg bomb (Italy)
500 kg bomb (Italy)
2 kg bomblets (Italy)
Type W 170/450 Torpedo (Italy)
Paraflare (Slovakia)
10 kg Bomb (Slovakia)
20 kg Bomb (Slovakia)
50 kg Bomb (Slovakia)
100 kg Bomb (Slovakia)

Updated start-up parameter data to include the codes for the new aircraft in version 4.09 so that this program can interface with such programs as IL-2 Shturmovik Stab. See the information below from version 4.04 for more details on this feature.

At the request of many users I have split aircraft types with a boosted version in-game so that they had separate entries in the program, namely;
BF-109 K4-C3
FW-190 A5 with 1.65 ATA boost
FW-190 D9 Late with MW-50
P-38 L Late “Lightning”
P-47 D-27 Late “Thunderbolt”
Spitfire LF Mk.IX C with 25lbs. Boost.

Note: I-153 and I-153P whilst selectable separately in-game remain as a single record in my program because the only difference between them is the gun loadout.

Added some aircraft types that had previously not been included in my program, but which are selectable in-game.
I originally felt that these were so similar to other types that it was un-necessary to note them separately, but I have since changed my mind. These aircraft are as follow:
DB-3B
DB-3F
DB-3M
DB-3T
IL-4

Numerous minor typographical corrections and enhancements.

Added an option to donate via Paypal. Of course this program is totally free for you to use. If you like this program, then maybe you could “help a brother out”. A dollar, a quid or a Euro from you would go a long way if I can use it to take my wife out to dinner- maybe she’ll let me sit at the computer and work on a further update! Or perhaps I can take my little boy to an air show and inspire him to love IL-2 as much as I do! It’s up to you- there’s no pressure at all. In any case, please enjoy this program with my compliments.

To donate, click on “Donate” on the menu bar at the top of HardBall’s Aircraft Viewer. On the “Donate” form, click on the “Donate” button. This will copy a link to my Paypal account into your computer’s clipboard. Open your Internet browser, and paste the link into your browser’s address bar (right-click and select “paste”, or use “Ctrl-V”), then hit “Enter” or click “Go”.

If you don’t have a Paypal account you can still pay by credit card or via your bank in some countries. Alternatively, make a donation in my name to your favourite charity.

Installation:
There are two versions available in 4.09- a regular install version (HardBall_409.zip), and a non-install version (HardBall_409_Non-Install Version.zip). The regular install version is for people who have had no problem installing the program in the past, and the non-install version is for those who have...the non-install version will run from within its own folder, or even from a USB memory stick, or CD/DVD, so you won’t have any compatibility problems installing files to your System32 folder, etc. Choose the one that works best for you. If you’re not sure, try the regular version first.

Regular install version:

Windows XP and earlier:
1. Unzip the contents of the downloaded file “HardBall_409.zip” to a temporary folder - NOT the desktop!
2. Run SETUP.EXE. The Installer will guide you through the installation. A Shortcut will be created in the Windows Start menu.

Note: The default installation interface that came with the programming package isn't that pretty or user-friendly - it's easy to miss the button which starts the install - It's the BIG one at the top!

Note: Vista users may need to right click the “Setup” program, select “Properties”, click on the “Compaibility” tab, and select “Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2)”. To run the “Setup” program, right click on it and select, “Run as administrator.” The rest of the install process should proceed normally as above. Once the program has been installed change the compatibility mode settings for the HardBall_409.exe file in the same way as listed above for the “Setup” file, and select “Run as administrator.”

Note: In Windows XP you may get an error message "Invalid command line parameters. Unable to continue." If this happens you will need to do the following:
a: Right-click on the "setup.exe" file and select 'Properties';
b: Select the 'Compatibility' tab;
c: Check the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', and select 'Windows 98 / Windows ME'.

Windows 7:
Follow the instructions as above for Vista.

Non-Install Version:
This version bypasses the packaged installer because several users have experienced problems with it. The program seems to work quite happily when it's simply unzipped into a stand-alone folder. So... extract the files into a separate folder on your hard drive, or USB memory stick, or burn it to a CD/DVD. (I wouldn't recommend using the Desktop, however). Vista and Windows 7 users will need to set the compatability mode, as per the “Windows Vista” section mentioned above.

Caution:
Some of the system files that my program uses may be older than the ones on your system so it would be best to keep all the "HardBall" files in the stand-alone folder that you created. I wouldn't recommend copying any of the "HardBall_409" files to any other place in your system.

Creating a Desktop short cut:
You can manually create a short cut to your desktop by right-clicking on the "Hardball_409.exe" file and selecting "Send to" / "Desktop as short cut".

Running the program:
The program can be run by double-clicking on the HardBall_409.exe file (identified by an icon depicting a Fokker D.XXI in front of a Dutch orange triangle).

So, here ya go. Knock yourselves out! Murphy's Law being what it is, what's the bet Team Daidalos will release 4.10 tomorrow?!
Posted By: Neil Lowe

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 02:07 PM

Thanx a ton Sir,

It certainly has become quite the compendium of info smile

Cheers, Neil smile
Posted By: -Avatar-

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 03:28 PM

Sorry to hear you had to start all over again. frown But really glad that you did! Thanks for sharing with us!!! cheers
Posted By: Tbag

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 04:49 PM

Great stuff! Thx a lot HB! smile
Posted By: Antiloop

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 05:20 PM

Sweet!
Thanks a bunch! clapping
Posted By: WalterNowi

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 06:07 PM

Excellent! thumbsup

Thank you for the effort.
Posted By: tahoman

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 07:18 PM

Thank you so much for your time and hard work, Hardball!
Posted By: Borsch

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 07:45 PM

Does it also point out locations of vulnerable spots of the airplanes? IE location of fuel tanks, ammo compartments, week construction joints that should be targeted when shooting at a plane in question...
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/16/10 08:13 PM

Thanks mate.. Good work as usual..
Posted By: Dervish

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 01:34 AM

thumbsup
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 03:49 AM

Thanks thumbsup
Will you be uploading it to M4T too ?

No worries on v4.10 it won't be ready for at least a month. biggrin
stirthepot

Wheels

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu
Thanks thumbsup

Will do. I'll get onto it when I get home tonight.
Posted By: Kristorf

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 08:22 AM

Cheers for all the hard work mate.
Posted By: vonOben

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 10:57 AM

Very useful! clapping

Thanks for all your work! thumbsup

Cheers
Posted By: vtrelut

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 12:01 PM

CONGRATULATIONS M8!
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 12:44 PM

Thank you very much Hardball cheers
Posted By: 438_Martin_591

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 02:29 PM

Fantastic!
Thx!

And in news on the SFM website

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/17/10 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: FltLt HardBall
Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu
Thanks thumbsup

Will do. I'll get onto it when I get home tonight.

Thanks, I see that you have already done it. cool

Wheels

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/18/10 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: vtrelut
CONGRATULATIONS M8!

Thanks, Vincent. And thanks for all your help and support, too!
Posted By: Nasty

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/18/10 01:29 PM

Awesome. Glad to see an update to this very useful tool. Well worth the wait.
Posted By: JAMF

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/18/10 08:32 PM

Hi Hardball. Been using your viewer on and off for years, so I'm happy to be able to thank you for your hard work. smile Thank you!
Posted By: WWSandMan

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/19/10 01:53 AM

S!

A very valuable tool is brought nicely up to date with this latest release. Very much appreciated, thank you!
Posted By: EJGr.Ost_Caspar

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/19/10 10:39 PM

Thanks alot! I really appreciate the standalone version! smile

I hope it will be easy for you to update it to 4.10, once it is there.

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/19/10 11:35 PM

I like the stand alone version too. smile
The one request I would have for future versions, if possible, is the ability to resize the page to fit my screen.

Wheels
Posted By: Jetguy06

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/20/10 03:15 AM

Thanks, Hardball! I've been waiting since the release of 4.09 for this to come out. :-D
Posted By: DoolittleRaider

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/20/10 05:49 PM

This must be a dumb question...but...Is there a reason that the viewer does not include any Spitfire MkII?
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/20/10 08:06 PM

Because the viewer is only dealing with the stock game, not mods..
Posted By: DoolittleRaider

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/20/10 08:17 PM

Thanks... So it was a dumb question after all... oops
Posted By: Aviar

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/21/10 05:05 AM

I'm just wondering about the accuracy of the information. For instance, I looked at the very first listed plane (A-20C) and under Armament found the following: 6 x .50 cal Browning MG (fixed forward-firing)

The A-20C in IL-2 only has 4 fixed forward firing guns. Also, in the IL-2 Aircraft Viewer, the guns are listed as .303 cal.

Aviar
Posted By: TigerStolly

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/22/10 07:55 PM

Excellent, thanks.

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/23/10 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Aviar
I'm just wondering about the accuracy of the information. For instance, I looked at the very first listed plane (A-20C) and under Armament found the following: 6 x .50 cal Browning MG (fixed forward-firing)

The A-20C in IL-2 only has 4 fixed forward firing guns. Also, in the IL-2 Aircraft Viewer, the guns are listed as .303 cal.

Aviar

Don't worry, the data is solid, but this one looks like it slipped through. Let me check it out, and I can correct it for version 4.10. I will, of course, refund every penny that you paid wink

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/23/10 05:08 AM

Corsican_Corsair is getting an error with both versions.
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=9779

Wheels

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/23/10 06:21 AM

He has to change his regional settings to English. That's worked for other people.
Posted By: vtrelut

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/23/10 03:35 PM

Or just replace the , by a . for decimals, in his language options.
Posted By: Flatlander

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/24/10 03:39 AM

Fantastic. Many thanks
~Flatlander

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/24/10 05:05 AM

Thanks Hardball. smile

Wheels
Posted By: koivis

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/24/10 02:47 PM

Thanks for the excellent program!

However, there are some errors in the data:

Ki-61-I-Hei didn't have Ho-5 wing cannons, but instead MG 151/20.
Mosquito FB.VI has fire extinguishers on engines, this is not shown.

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/27/10 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: koivis

Ki-61-I-Hei didn't have Ho-5 wing cannons, but instead MG 151/20.
Mosquito FB.VI has fire extinguishers on engines, this is not shown.

Hi Koivis,

Well spotted! You win a cookie!

It seems that the Ki-61-I-Hei variant we have in IL-2 does indeed have MG 151/20s fitted.
My references indicated that the MG 151/20s were only fitted to pre-production models, however if you look at the in-game model you can clearly see the blisters on the top of the wings to accommodate the breech mechanism. Also, IL2 Compare lists the armament as MG 151/20, and I believe this data is extracted directly from the game engine.

With regard to the Mosquito fire extinguishers, I have corrected this - it was a straight transcription error on my part - I managed to pick up a couple of others that I missed, too.

Both of these have been corrected and will appear in the 4.10 version.

Guys, any info or corrections you may have is always appreciated - I only have one pair of eyes, and whilst I do my best, it's pretty much impossible for a lone guy to pick up everything. You eagle-eyed chaps in the IL-2 community- please keep up the good work!
Posted By: Fishingnut

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 06/29/10 04:38 AM

Thanks Hardball! But I did notice that the 4.08 version of the viewer has the P-39D1 as fast as the D2. It's not in reality, or in the game. The D1 should be roughly about the same speed as the P-400. Check it out for yourself, go fly 'em. Dunno about your new version yet, haven't downloaded it yet.
Posted By: Mastiff

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 07/02/10 10:47 AM

Great work Lt. HardBall, S~!

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 07/03/10 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishingnut
The D1 should be roughly about the same speed as the P-400. Check it out for yourself, go fly 'em.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma over this one. Fishingnut, you seem to be correct in saying that the D1 should have the same performance as the P-400.

Most of my data has come from IL2Compare, which only has data for the "P-39D" - it doesn't distinguish between the D1 and D2 variants. The two variants have different engines; the D1 has an Allison V-1710-35 rated at 1150 hp, whilst the D2 has a V-1710-63 rated at 1325 hp (or 1590 hp as stated in my viewer and the IL-2 in-game object viewer) - which one is correct? Anyway, it would make sense that the two variants would have different performance.

You can appreciate that I don't have time to fly all of the aircraft in IL-2, plus doing so would add an extremely variable "human element" into the data.

I might have to set up LesniHU's cool little 'Autopilot' bot and get it to fly the 2 variants in a straight line (without any input from me) and see what it comes up with. I could then compare that data with the P-400 too.
Posted By: F19_lacrits

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 07/05/10 01:20 PM

Thanks Harball for updated version!!! Great work, I use this little app all the time as a quick reference guide when comparing performance and armament.. biggrin

Another little detail not right, inherited from previous version 4.08; The N1K2-Ja has 200 round per gun. wink
Posted By: Tomik

Re: HardBall's Aircraft Viewer 4.09 is finally ready to download! - 07/09/10 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: FltLt HardBall
He has to change his regional settings to English. That's worked for other people.

Hi FltLt HardBall,
thx for the application smile
It would be great for us, non english regionals, if you correct that behaviour in next version.

In my case (czech regional settings) decimal separator is a comma, so in the meantime I've written a batch to change it "automatically" to dot, run the application and after the program is closed, set it back to comma.
If anyone is interested, here it is:

@echo off
echo Current settings:
reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sDecimal"
echo.
echo Setting decimal separator to dot..
reg update "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sDecimal"="."
echo.
echo Launching the application..
HardBall_409.exe
echo.
echo Setting decimal separator to comma..
reg update "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sDecimal"=","

Save it as something.cmd into Hardball's directory and run.

I've just now discovered, there are different version of reg.exe around
So if your reg.exe doesn't support "update" argument, you can use the second batch:
You need to prepare another two text files which contain:

International_dot.reg - copy text below to this file
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
"sDecimal"="."

International_comma.reg - copy text below to this file
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
"sDecimal"=","

Copy both files into HardBall's directory.

And second batch is here:

@echo off
set sourcepath=%~dp0
echo Setting decimal separator to dot..
regedit /s "%sourcepath%International_dot.reg"
echo.
echo Launching the application..
HardBall_409.exe
echo.
echo Setting decimal separator to comma..
regedit /s "%sourcepath%International_comma.reg"
© 2024 SimHQ Forums