homepage

Windows 10 & EAW

Posted By: Pathfinder

Windows 10 & EAW - 07/12/18 02:30 PM

Hello chaps,

Apologies for sounding thick, but the last time I played this fair sim was in 2004... Does EAW work in Windows 10? If the answer is yes, could someone direct me to the relevant page and what I need.

Regards
Pathfinder
(Dallas)
Posted By: VonBeerhofen

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/12/18 03:24 PM

Hi Pathfinder,

to run EAW on operating systems it wasn't designed for you'll need a NoOS patched version of the EAW.EXE. All current versions have this patch included and will work on a v1.1 or a v1.2. It's adviced to NOT install the game, due to annoying registry entries being created, but to copy the entire CD contents onto your harddrive and take it from there.
The standalone patch is available here:

http://www.thatoneplease.co/Tally-Ho/EAWKeyFiles/EAW1_26Epatch.zip

This version has very little changes to the game unlike the upgraded versions as EAWPRO and others, which are modified using the original Source Code, kindly permitted by Atari. EAWPRO is a set of files which works like the old addons and incorporates a changed theatre called ''The Battle over the Reich'' with frontlines extended into Germany.
To install you extract the following .ZIP into the v1.1, v1.2 or v1.26 of your CD copied folder, where the EAW.EXE resides, and allow overwrites. The addon is available here:

https://rabartel.home.xs4all.nl

Optional you can restore the v1.2 Campaign files to make sure you can fly a full campaign, which isn't possible with the original targetset. The downgrade is available here:

https://rabartel.home.xs4all.nl/FX1.2_Targets_FM.ZIP

Just extract the .ZIP into (a copy of) your EAWPRO gamefolder, where the EAW.EXE resides and allow overwrites.
BTW you can have multiple copies of EAW on your drive but the use of a registry cleaner may have an adverse effect as filepointers may be pointed to another install if the game finds any files missing. Other version's files are NOT compattible with EAWPRO in some cases. However you can reload/reinstall the original EAWPRO files to restore functionality.

If you run into the dreaded 7217 error you'll need to install a wrapper workaround like nGlide or the 3D Windower program, which will allow you use Glide mode in EAW. Mark EAW's helpsite has all the information on how to go about that.. There are other versions available too, like v1.28E, v1.29, v1.60 which all have their own challenges, it's creators may contact you with their information. Good luck, good hunting,

VonBeerhofen
Posted By: RIBob

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/12/18 09:12 PM

In order to grow the base of EAW users, presumably the ultimate goal of every EAW devotee, it is essential that a simple, uncomplicated, way be made for even ham-handed, ignorant users, like myself, to easily download a basic version of the game, suitable for Win 10.

Most modern computers are configured for that Operating System, and so it is unrealistic to expect prospective EAW users to retain a legacy computer on which to run older games. It is also unrealistic to expect them to purchase an EAW CD, as they are getting a little scarce, and a bit pricy nowadays.

A simple method of downloading and installing a good, free, version of EAW onto a Win 10 platform must be easily available. By this, I mean a single, one-button download link to a good version of the game that will play on Win 10 without anything other than simple choices made within the game interface (as opposed to modifying the EAW.INI) itself. Most prospective game players will shrink from modifying the "guts" of the game. Most folks here are used to doing so, but such people are the [I[exception[/I] to the rule.

By all means, such a download should include text directing interested users to this Forum where they can discover further enhancements to their EAW game.

Being ignorant of many things, EAW certainly not excepted, if there is such a thing currently available, please post a link to it here. I'll try it out, on my Win 10 laptop, and spread the good news far and wide.
Posted By: MarkEAW

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/12/18 10:06 PM

Unfortunately no. All versions of the game will require a Wrapper to get the most out of the game, even though 10 runs it with a few slows downs now.

A Glide wrapper is desired, djVoodoo restores Horizon Fog, smooths out the far distant terrain and gives a boost in frames per second. nGlide does too, but not sure if it effects the terrain smoothness.

A DirectX/DD wrapper fixes speed of transitioning menu screens (actauly the loading of the textures and graphics, since Win10 version 1803, it slowed down) and the frames per second. (I have not seen a DirectX wrapper yet restore fog, its really a video driver function).

For overall I think Win10 is the easiest to run the game now, I prefer it now that I can run DXWND wrapper and now dgvoodoo (or other glide wrapper that VBH) introduced me to.
All wrappers I tested are on the instal help doc in my site.

EDIT:
The game needs an updated direct of atleast 9.0c and modern hardware usage code in. I'd like to see more gpu use by EAW.
I've updated my gtx560 1 gig mem to a gtx960 2 gig mem, and there was no difference in frames per second. (I didnt update for EAW, I just did it cause i got the card from a friend)

EDIT2:
Win10 Compatibility (8) (some info on 7 and Vista)
https://eaw.neocities.org/eaw-known-bugs-feature-ideas.html#win10

EDIT3:
Old Pathfinder forum post...no reply.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4419275/windows-10#Post4419275

Posted By: MrJelly

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 04/07/19 07:13 AM

This is sadly quite typical.
The original poster asks a question, others reply with answers, but there is no response from the original poster.
We have no idea if any of the suggested solutions were tried, or if problems were encountered, so it appears to be a complete waste of time and effort frown

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 04/07/19 07:23 PM

Wow , slightly old thread. I don't think it needed a new response but you did anyhow. smile

Its worth helping, atleast to me. But I can see why you wouldn't want to. however they sometimes PM the additional info or questions. I don't remember if Pathfinder ever did respond though.
But I currently have all the info i need on my help site, to help others with Win10 and the issues that arise.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 04/08/19 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by RIBob
In order to grow the base of EAW users, presumably the ultimate goal of every EAW devotee, it is essential that a simple, uncomplicated, way be made for even ham-handed, ignorant users, like myself, to easily download a basic version of the game, suitable for Win 10.

Most modern computers are configured for that Operating System, and so it is unrealistic to expect prospective EAW users to retain a legacy computer on which to run older games. It is also unrealistic to expect them to purchase an EAW CD, as they are getting a little scarce, and a bit pricy nowadays.

A simple method of downloading and installing a good, free, version of EAW onto a Win 10 platform must be easily available. By this, I mean a single, one-button download link to a good version of the game that will play on Win 10 without anything other than simple choices made within the game interface (as opposed to modifying the EAW.INI) itself. Most prospective game players will shrink from modifying the "guts" of the game. Most folks here are used to doing so, but such people are the [I[exception[/I] to the rule.

By all means, such a download should include text directing interested users to this Forum where they can discover further enhancements to their EAW game.

Being ignorant of many things, EAW certainly not excepted, if there is such a thing currently available, please post a link to it here. I'll try it out, on my Win 10 laptop, and spread the good news far and wide.

In response Directly to RIBobs post:

We need a programmer to update the game to be really native to the Win10 environment and hardware. Since the source code is closed, its unlikely that will happen anytime soon.
So there is no Win10 executable. However it does run on Win10 with issues, mainly slowdowns(Win10 has its own fix (s) it applies to the game exe.). Or with wrappers.
Even with what you know better than I in Virtualization (A win9x OS running within supported Win10).

Just about everything I know about win10 and the game I have the info on my Help Site. (except VM)

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 04/11/19 08:44 PM

Menu Transitioning (7 to 10sec delay) slow down in Win10 (since April of last year, 2018) seems to not be a problem anymore. I tested 160 foundation quickly for something else and the menus switched normally / normal 2 sec delay.

EDIT
I don't know what changed in Win10's recent upgrades (past month) that may have fixed this. I personally had recently updated my Nvidia video drivers again. So who knows where the fix happen....

EDIT2
I'm trying to recall, but I think I updated DirectX 9 on my win10 computer more recently. With DX files that may have installed with another old WinXP game I recently added to my computer. (I think it was a form of the June2010 DX redistribute-able download from Microsoft) I'm uncertain, however.

So if anyone finds there EAW game is still slow in transitioning menu screens then its maybe a DirectX/Direct Draw issue.....just putting that out there for you smarter tech minded people.

EDIT3
It was a form of the Microsoft Download, but here is the official DX Redist (June 2010, Has all of the DX9.0X files like 9_1, 9_2 , 9_3 and more:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8109

If you have slow downs in the menu screens, try this download to see if it fixes it for you......perhaps it did for me.

BTW a recent Performance Test:
I get 38 FPS with 160 Foundation in the clear at ALT in D3D Mode!, (its not 60 but its something.) I use to get 28 to 30.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 04/17/19 11:28 PM

Bump!

Bumping cause I made recent substantial edits that do not get noticed often, but are important.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 04/18/19 09:26 AM

I still cannot get good framerates in Win 10. With the same PC in Win7 I am getting 60 fps at GameRanger online. With W 10 I would be luck to get 20 fps.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 04/18/19 10:04 AM

That's too bad.
I seen an increase of +8fps with all the recent win updates and driver updates.
(Turn off Virtualization in your Bios if you have it on for Win10 if you don't need it at the moment, it hinted on my system to slow down regular performance, but I just had it on with nothing configured for it).

How about everyone's menu transitioning in EAW?

Is it still a Long delay of at least 7 to 10 sec delay?

(Normal delay of 1 to 2 sec should have returned)

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 05/27/19 05:42 AM

Okay. Well I just tried DXWND wrapper, the latest version
and unfortunately I still get jitter on the view of the planes outside the cockpit window. It normally the ones that are flying fast or in the opposite direction fast. (IF I knew what that was from I could set or un set a setting to try to fix it).

I've also updated my 'Troubleshoot Help Doc' regarding this wrapper program. I removed some settings, showed you how to update to the new version without loosing your configurations and some more notes added.
Posted By: SkyHigh

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 05/27/19 06:50 AM

Have any of the people having problems with EAW on Windows 10 tried DGVoodoo2, which can be used as both a glide and d3d wrapper? All I can say is that it works excellently on Win 7, and while Mark has already discovered that it won't provide fog in d3d in Win 10, what kind of fps can it provide?

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 05/27/19 09:09 AM

I couldn't get dgvoodoo2 to work in DirectX when I tried. It just used win10 to run and ignored the dlls, unfortunately.

I been getting FPS 38 in Win10 alone now.
In DXWND 60 to 80

What you getting SkyHigh, these days with the voodoo wrapper now?

BTW

DXWND can work well in DX and have so called widescreen resolutions now. You have to set HDMI res in the settings.
Also
In DXWND I determined that the menu selection speed can be fixed with a Timing workaround, by reducing mouse polling. (a report rate and is a CPU optimization)

I had fun trying new things out, but DXWND needs to do something about the Horizon FOG and the Jitter of planes yet to be 100%. The odd thing is there is a Fog disable option. heh.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 05/27/19 08:20 PM

I spent at least 6 hours or more messing with EAW and EAWPRO in DXWND, my conclusion is they run smoother and faster in the newer Win10 than they do in that wrapper.
Jel may disagree but I think his Win10 system may perhaps be hampered in someway.

So, If you need to run EAW in a window frame then thats what you need, is a Wrapper.
I'll stick with Win10s 'native' configuration for D3D mode.
Posted By: SkyHigh

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 05/27/19 08:30 PM

I'm on Win 7 and get a very steady in-cockpit fps of 30 with dgvoodoo. This doesn't seem that great, but the fps generally only dips by 1 or 2 below this, even with massive extra-squad dogfights and interceptions and with lots of smoke and tracer. In outside view, the fps is generally 45-50. I might have a try with DXWND, but I find dgvoodoo very convenient.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 05/27/19 10:00 PM

I wouldn't bother with DXWND, unless you need the mouse button polling reduced or need a Windows Frame.
Like I tried to say, theres jitter in movements, planes and mouse movement views.

Keep what works for you.

I set it aside for now, again, and just went back and re-added the win10 compat reg fix and off I was with a stretched image and fast and smooth speed.
Better than nothing , but its the smoothest its been since I had win10.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 05/31/19 04:17 PM

I recently tested EAW (Specifically EAWPRO) with the Win10 Game Bar App overlay.

The performance counters gave me the following resources that EAW was using.:

23% of my CPU (I have 4 cores at 4.0Ghz).
5% my GPU (GTX 960, reference version)
1.8gigs of system mem (I have 8gigs installed)
0.1gig of vram (I have 2 gigs on video card)

Its clear again EAW is useing the most from CPU and System Memory.
Its not a secret, but just re confirmed.

EDIT

Heres some latter results for v1.26 of EAW
It clear that other factors are taking effect on the counters.

CPU and sys mem
27% 2.5GB

GPU ans vram
11% 0.2GB
Posted By: Agathosdaimon

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/11/19 02:02 AM

i am trying the uaw160 version and it is unplayable now for me - i was playing the 1.26e version before and that was all fine and good and smooth so i may need to revert to that one instead - as for 160 the cockpit is flicking and zooming in and out all over the place and the plane doesnt respond to my attempts to steer it (i am just using keyboard atm) not that i could fly it at all with all teh crazy intense flickering and jittering and zooming in an out

- can anyone help me wiht how i might be able to fix this and play it - if i cant get any of the BOB games to work i am hoping i can at least have EAW working with the 160mod

also my mouse look just rubber bands me back to just looking front on - i seem stuck to this view direction

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/11/19 03:06 AM

Not sure.

Do you have your controller plugged in and DeviceID1 under WindowsOS?

Look at your eaw.ini with notepad see if windows Joystick=1, change it to 0?

Getting late. The answer is on my troubshoot help document, I just to tired to go look.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/11/19 03:45 AM

okay thanks - i switched it to 0 as it was one 1 - though now instead of flickering, the game will move about 2 frames then CTD

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/11/19 04:01 AM

okay thanks - i switched it to 0 as it was one 1 - though now instead of flickering, the game will move about 2 frames then CTD

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/11/19 05:48 AM

For some time the 128 series exes have assumed that a joystick is plugged in and recognised.
If it is not you get the cockpit shake that you have described. I am away from home, with my laptop, and I did not bring a joystick. I have been running various versions of EAW to get screenies in F9, and when I start I get the cockpit shake that you describe.

wink Jel

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/11/19 06:16 AM

Try plugging in your Joystick and turn off ForceFeedback in EAW.

Re: Windows 10 & EAW - 07/11/19 06:41 AM

okay i will try that later when i have time - fo rnow though i can say though that i did a reinstall of EAW and just brought it up to version 128e and that version is working superbly - no issues and also no need for a joystick either, and no cockpit shakes

the issues i am having with EAW seem restricted to UAW160 - i set joystick in its ini file to 0 but now the game just freezes and crashes when a flight begins - would this still be joystick related? i wish there was not this assumption and expectation that one cant play a flight sim unless one has a joystick - i like sims but i have never enjoyed using joysticks, the move all over the place and tenses up my arms uncomfortably
© 2024 SimHQ Forums