homepage

EAWHS Updates and Stuff

Posted By: MarkEAW

EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/02/18 05:42 AM

I've updated and reorganized the install help doc, yes again and again, plus updated a bunch of other docs, like the eaw.ini help docand added to the joystick help docs about generic joystick drivers use.

If you still need help post here or over at the other EAW forums like combatace etc... and I'll try to accommodate, and I'm sure others will help also.
I'll be taking notes and providing help.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/02/18 01:06 PM

good show Mark I'll set aside some reading time for later,,always learn something there

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/02/18 02:28 PM

Thanks Russ, your always a good 'know how' person.

The Install doc is mostly just wrapper settings for various wrapper programs I've added. plus I tried to move the most technical stuff to the end of the doc. Which you really don't need to read, about the Windows ACT program that modifies the internal system compatibility database, or more so you disable and build your own fixes for EAW.

You being on Windows 7, I'm not sure anything was added about it...mostly cause I don't have that OS anymore. However I do note more so that EAW runs faster on that OS in the native mode....with no Win8/10 DirectDraw changes slowing it down.
But all thats mute now that DXWND works in win10 and performs so much better for D3D than native Windows does.

I actually perfer DXWND over the old D3DWindower v1.88 for DirectX usage.

NGlide and dgVoodoo 2 work well. All though dgVoodoo I think you need a DirectX 10 video card. Not all experments with all the wrappers have been done but atleast I found default settings for them.
Posted By: RIBob

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/02/18 07:42 PM

Interesting info about the wrapper programs. Using D3D and Nglide, my frame rates were none too high, and borderline unacceptable. I'll try DXWND when re-building my V1.28E, and perhaps on some other variants. I'm using Win7 for gaming, primarily.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/02/18 10:01 PM

I probably asked what your system specs where already, but I dont remember where they where posted. If you can tell me CPU and Graphic card again that will help.
See win7 just by itself you should have above 40 fps to 60. But then again maybe your specs are extremely low.

Getting v1.2 , 1.26 or EAWPRO to work is a good baseline.
(Download 1.28 from Mr jelly mediafire account if he has it there)

On my Win10 DXWND pushed my frames way up, from nativity running EAW v1.26.

okay awaiting your questions....

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/02/18 10:45 PM

Running an AMD 3.2 GHZ machine Geforce 1050GTX and EAWPRO getting 55-60 FPS in nglide with no issues with every thing turned up at 1920 x 1200... Without windower I get the psychedelic screens but it's no real troubles...If I want to make major changes to my setting I'll use windower to do them,,, and then turn it off..I don't use D3D it just looks too ugly,,Best advice I can give is pick one version and work just with that version until it runs

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/02/18 10:54 PM

Russ, you have a good Video Card there. AMD 3.2 (OC) is what i had on win7 back a few years EAW flew on that OS.
Nice disciple of using the D3DWindower v1.88.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/02/18 11:19 PM

I had a crappy on board video chip..After a few years broke down and put in a discreet card a GTC560TI Steve 190 gave me when it died that next day ordered that and was able to pull all the titles off the shelf i couldn't rin before Shogun 2,,CLOD,,IL2 1946 couple it with a Dell 24 " screen and it makes gaming enjoyable

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/03/18 12:12 AM

Yeah i remember you had a 560, I too have a GTX560SC (not the better Ti brand), hopefully a 960 soon. Not that I need it but I can get it cheap from a friend and its brand new.
I hardly play any games anymore that require super computers, as I got sick of the games that where coming out.

Alright, I hope RIBob can get thinks squared away though.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/03/18 12:19 AM

Hell if I can figure it out any one can,,He seems like a sharp lad and I'm sure he will with help from the members here

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/03/18 03:00 PM

Well, my problems might be worse than first thought. Tried to log-onto Win7 computer, and it did not recognize my login.

I did a reset to original Win7 configuration, and am now transferring system image from aux storage recently installed against this eventuality. Computer should be back as to beginning of June, I hope.

No warnings from computer about any hard drive issues.

Will advise, but will be busy for a bit.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/16/18 12:48 AM

Alright, well I'm still updating, re writing portions of some of the older help docs.

'AI Getting to you' was one of the help docs that had some portions rewritten recently.

I'm pretty much doing what I can.

Anyhow I just don't know which areas of the site need updating, new or old.

Or if everyone is finding any bother-some info on the site that I may have left unfinished or lacking in proper info?
Posted By: Boom

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/17/18 11:55 AM

Hi all! Decided to get back into the game after a number of years. Went through the process tonight of installing off the CD using Autorun. Managed to get it to run once, but screens all messed up and it failed to restart when I patched up to 1.2.

After trying several re-install's and getting nowhere, except frustrated, came here looking for help and saw this thread. Looks like just what I need. smile

To tired now to to uninstall and try the process detailed in [European Air War Help Site and Archive] Getting Started. By will try it tomorrow night. smile

My system btw is a Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10hz, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 8 GB Ram and a GTX 1050 Ti graphics card.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/17/18 12:14 PM

Pips ,,Welcome back,,first thing is don't install EWA just make an EAW folder and copy all the files from the cd directly into that and add the 1.2Patch...In windows 7 you might need to use D3D windower to fix the messed up screens I'm sure Mark has some thing about it on his site and I would recommend nglide to use D3D..I've got a GTX 1050 and it runs just fine
Posted By: Boom

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/18/18 08:46 AM

Thanks Russ, it has been years. smile Great to see EAW is still not only popular but also still has many keen guys making improvements.

When I did the initial install I placed EAW in it's own folder, not within the Program Files. Still had probs as described above. Will need to read Mark's guide to sort it out I guess. And it looks like I have to learn all sorts of new terms.... such as D3D windower and nglide. smile

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/18/18 09:16 AM

Pips
Windower https://www.fileplanet.com/198137/190000/fileinfo/D3DWindower-English-version/

Nglide http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

And most important don't install EAW just copy over the files and patch to 1.2..Marks got it at his place..

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/25/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by MarkEAW
Alright, well I'm still updating, re writing portions of some of the older help docs.

'AI Getting to you' was one of the help docs that had some portions rewritten recently.

I'm pretty much doing what I can.

Anyhow I just don't know which areas of the site need updating, new or old.

Or if everyone is finding any bother-some info on the site that I may have left unfinished or lacking in proper info?

Mark, allow me to say that your EAW Help Site is a Godsend to the EAW community. Following your directions allowed me to get the game running, and I'm grateful to you for that.

I'm hesitant to offer criticism after all the hard work you have done, and the very fine product which you have provided.

With the help of yourself, and many others, EAW games are back up and running fine.

Please accept my wholehearted thanks for your efforts!

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/25/18 09:51 PM

Thanks a lot!. Any feedback that would be good or bad is welcomed. Like before I'll try to squeeze in anything that's viable.

Well I'm still re writing portions and adding to the install help doc. plus some of the others if I think of anything.
Not really motivated to write any new help docs at this time.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/26/18 02:06 AM

overall, how do people feel about moving about my web site?
The navigation part of it.... the descriptions of the pages are on the main page and links directly to each other page.

Should I figure some other way to navigate (but simple for me to implement and maintain)?
or
you think navigation fine?
Posted By: FsFOOT

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/26/18 05:45 AM

I would recommend a navigation menu and have put one on every website I've ever made even simple ones like EAWonLInux.

I use CSS menus by preference. CSS is a text based scripting browsers can use to format the page.
EAWonLInux's CSS page is at https://eawonlinux.neocities.org/css/style2.css if you scroll down you see the "talltabs-orange" free code I use from a CSS site.
You can add CSS formating add it via a seperate file like I do, or directly withinin the webpage's hidden
Code
<head> </head>
section.

Then use the tag needed in the page itself where you want the code to work, ex.
Code
<div id="talltabs-orange">
	<ul>
		<li class="active"><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>
		<li class="first"><a href="eoleaw.html">EAW</a></li>
		<li><a href="https://eawonlinux.neocities.org/retroarchive/index.html">Flight School</a></li>
        <li><a href="linux.html">Linux</a></li>
		<li class="last"><a href="eollinks.html">Links</a></li>
	</ul>
</div>

That is how the menu works.
There are a bunch of other variations of CSS menus just see sites like;

https://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/beautiful-css-centered-menus-no-hacks-full-cross-browser-support

On the other hand you may find CSS confusing.

I use pure CSS 2 which always will render on any browser. The purity of CSS like html makes everything easier and smaller.
I avoid tons of junk like javascript, jquery, DOM dhtml scripting, etc for both security, and size.
Although javascript done lightly combined with CSS in a menu is not a real problem, though most browsers are turning off javascript or like me use Noscript, etc.

Conveniently, though most menus nowadays at least combined with CSS are made to allow for that and will for example drop down anyway due to the correct CSS programming.
Note that while I use older CSS 2 there is CSS 3 now that is used and is more complex but better.

anyhew..

You could try things like a simple column with hyperlinks in plain html or a tree type index may work well.

Also I find it is a bit hard to find stuff on your site, since you have various content of similar matters split to allow for various pages.

What would be good is some kind of index on contents, or search.

Also I would recommend to consolidate similar content, because people really will not keep their attention long frankly. Most web sites they used to say within about 10-11 seconds the user either finds relevant subject matter they looking for or they bail out of your site altogether.
I find it to be true even for myself!

Anyway, you might check the neocities they actually have a site builder tool I think but I've never used it.

Cheers.

ps. ah here:
https://neocities.org/tutorials

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/26/18 07:59 AM

Mark as just a common user of your site I tend to feel that some type of menu driven aid would be a great help...Usually I just visit with a specific purpose to either read a section or find a certain file..I've always been able to find what I'm looking for after a bit of navigation but I'm a patient person ,,,Like Mr. foot pointed out most folks take very few seconds and if they can't find what they want easily they leave,,If it can be done without too much worries it would be a great improvement

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/26/18 08:01 AM

Mark as just a common user of your site I tend to feel that some type of menu driven aid would be a great help...Usually I just visit with a specific purpose to either read a section or find a certain file..I've always been able to find what I'm looking for after a bit of navigation but I'm a patient person ,,,Like Mr. FsFoot pointed out most folks take very few seconds and if they can't find what they want easily they leave,a good example is his EAW Flight School easy to open the page you want to read,,,If it can be done without too much worries it would be a great improvement..but either way it's still a very valuable resource

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/26/18 05:41 PM

Alright, I'll try something for the navigation / menu part of it.

The consolidating; I'm not sure what needs that. I know the bug and feature ideas page duplicates some of the information in the install help doc. I have been moving info over tto the install doc from other locations on the site.
I tried to not duplicate information that much when i made the site, but perhaps I failed in doing so.

A little guidance in this consolidating would be helpful for me to understand more.
Posted By: VonBeerhofen

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/26/18 06:27 PM

I think all you need is a menu which takes you directly to one of your pages, a bit like what you alredy have now but from a main menu which only indicates what the topic(s) on that relevant page are. From there on it's just navigate through the page to find what you want. I think it wouldn't help much to have a menu like on my FTP if it can't scroll to the right passage on the pages. The best way is to keep it simple so you won't have to reorganise things.

something like:
Installing
video(cards)
sound(cards)
3D models
Theatres
Old EAW
New EAW
Online flying

In alphabetic order or in order of importance. You have the most insight in what's there, so see if you can find the red line which connects it all from the viewpoint of a newbie and how his install would progress stepwise. You could even use several different descriptions which reference the same page, that way you have more freedom for a good design.

I think Sandbagger's website might help you a little, the problem with it being that there were no links to select relating to the topics but the topics themselves were clear and obviously the importance of the site related more to the modding community and their creations. Obviously most links which were there died since then so many are useless, yours are still fresh and not outdated.

VonBeerhofen

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/27/18 06:56 PM

I've added a site search now,
provided by google.

Other things to consider:

>Green Download Links - should they be a different color?
>Menu system - Would a frame be useful?
I would only have to edit one page when i add to the menu.
otherwise
I think the example FsFOOT gives, means editing each page , every time I add a menu link?

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/27/18 07:50 PM

Mark, I typed into the search engine a couple of search terms for which topics I have looked-for in the past, and it seemed to work OK for "Versions of EAW" (exactly what I was "looking" for), and gave results for "Best Gun Sight"--didn't go down the list of results on that one, so can't comment on the provided links/search results. .

I think the search function is an excellent addition, and will be of great help. Allow me to suggest something to you: Dig back in your mind over the next week or so, and write down the questions you remember about various people asking how to find something on your help Site.

See if there is some common thread amongst the requests. If so, then ask yourself: "How can I re-organize the Help Site so as to minimize requests for specific info"? Far better to re-org, and spend your valuable time on better things than answering the same questions repeatedly.

Might just be that the Search Function will act as an Index to the Help Site. Maybe that's all that's really needed. However, a really good index in a book will allow one to find things which they didn't originally know they were looking for. That's because computer search users need to enter search terms, and a written index will most likely provide such terms--as well as many more-- for the user. To sum: the search function is only as good as the search terms entered by the user. Some users are better at entering various search terms than others.

Let it rest for a while. You did well at adding the Search Function, and think about the sorts of requests you've received in the past. for the basis of a possible, future re-org of the Help Site.

I will add this: When first beginning to get EAW running, your Help Site was invaluable in doing so. IMHO, it is a fundamental resource to the Game, and to the EAW community. My sincere thanks to you for proving the means to get the game up and running. Without your Help Site, I would not be a newbie EAW user, and not pestering you all with (sometimes) ignorant questions.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/27/18 08:00 PM

I've added a site search now,
provided by google.

Other things to consider:

>Green Download Links - should they be a different color?
>Menu system - Would a frame be useful?
I would only have to edit one page when i add to the menu.
otherwise
I think the example FsFOOT gives, means editing each page , every time I add a menu link?

According to this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#Red-green_color_blindness a vivid, light blue would seem to best perceived by most people.

Granted, trivial in itself--unless one is color blind, as are a considerable number of males. Males being the vastly greater part of flight sim players. Why make things needlessly harder for them? FWIW, Electric Boat has certified me as OK as far as color vision goes. Just speaking up for general good practice, that's all.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/27/18 08:21 PM

Yeah I thought about what people ask, is normally install instructions, then configure and add-ons. Then everything is random beyond that what there looking to read next. They say they read stuff they didnt even think about and learned from.
Anyway, just by a simple one sentence question, invoked me to re write the install doc in areas, then add in a paragraph of info. Thats all it takes if I see that it needs it.
The INI doc is popular too. The Joystick one is also.

Anyway, I'll try to find the right color # for Download links (vivid, light blue)

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/27/18 08:40 PM

As far as "Flight Training and Testing" section of Help Site goes, may I suggest directly linking any and all of the usual "Flight Schools" which pertain to EAW? Your comments are valuable, but other "Flight Schools" expand on them, and give different viewpoints. Perhaps of some interest is the addendum to STK EAW article here; http://www.combatsim.com/htm/2000/09/stk_eaw_new/page25.htm

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/27/18 09:15 PM

Yeah I thought about what people ask, is normally install instructions, then configure and add-ons. Then everything is random beyond that what there looking to read next. They say they read stuff they didnt even think about and learned from.
Anyway, just by a simple one sentence question, invoked me to re write the install doc in areas, then add in a paragraph of info. Thats all it takes if I see that it needs it.
The INI doc is popular too. The Joystick one is also.

Anyway, I'll try to find the right color # for Download links (vivid, light blue)

When I am forced to deal with the great, unwashed public, as I am sometimes forced to do, I treat them as intelligent, but ignorant people, and always politely; they deserve no less. I make a point of asking what they want to accomplish, and once that is made certain, I allow them as few, confusing/conflicting choices as possible. IOW, give the customer what they want, and as little blathering as possible.

Works for almost all of my customers, with very rare exceptions.

The point about the customer is that most of them are ignorant, but not stupid. Make things easy for them to find, and they will find it.

I get the impression your Help Site was written for a certain type of user, one who was strongly motivated to get EAW up and running, and in its' present state, willing to read it from end-to-end. Modern newbies are more likely to want "instant info' as regards their particular problem, and become impatient with anything else.

How many new motivated users have popped into this forum in the last year or so?

Now, the influx of new users (or lack of them ) cannot, by any means, be tied to the Help Site. But accessibility of the EAW game to brand-new users ought to be paramount, to my thinking.

So, I encourage every single old-timer here to make everything they do, everything they offer as simple and easy as possible. I know that there have been some, initial, efforts to do so.

That is all to the benefit of the game, but, as a mere newbie, and a simple user, may I suggest that the effort to make the game --and its add-ons-- more initially friendly to new users might be given higher priority?

Younger people that might want to give the game a go are notoriously impatient with anything other than E-Z downloads. and press-the-FLY- button to get flying.

These are the potential newbies that you are dealing with. May I say that ignoring them, regardless of what one thinks of their approach to things in general, is ignoring reality.

Personally, I like, and appreciate the people here in this forum. Like many families, you all have arguments amongst yourselves that alarm a newcomer, until the newcomer realizes that these dust-ups are 'family" arguments, and things will settle-down after a while.

Perspective is valuable, both with respect to family arguments, and newcomers.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/27/18 09:24 PM

I added light blue links, but they suck to read for me. They washout mostly. I may have to go darker.
We'll see what happens then.

I'm listening to what everyone's saying.....

Re organizing, may or may not happen, It would have to take a lot of time to do it in one full sweep.
I don't think it needs a full re-organizing though. Just some replacement of the main page and its links into perhaps a frame web page, horizontal.

There where talks of doing a Q and A Help Doc but that fell through.
Maybe there's a way to create an exploded index, site map type of thing.
Whatever is the least amount of work will win out, as I rather do help docs then constantly updating menus and stuff.

Some content in some of the docs might get moved to there own doc/page.
The internal references to documents, the links that are; Please see or read this page LINK, might get cut from the site as if the page names change then those links would be dead. I'd rather remove the links then have to keep updating them a few times a year based on changes.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/28/18 01:42 AM

added Menu Bar on top.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/28/18 08:40 AM

good show there Mark the added touches are much appreciated

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/29/18 12:23 AM

NP Russ. smile

I've removed some repetitive sections on the front page and adjusted the menu bar across the top to reflect the less amount of bookmarked links.
Updated the links page and fixed the page titles for better search results display.
The color of links where changed and boldness added last time,. (are the links better color now to see?)

I may remove more stuff from the main page and add a new document or so called pages.

I may break the site down more so, slimier to what VBH mentioned, like installing / Video / Sound etc...

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/29/18 05:19 AM

okay, re - organized the site, its almost done. Been a long day. So I should have more ideas later on in the week.

I no longer will be putting jump links within my help documents. There too much trouble and they just muck up the pages. However the references to a help document remains.

The documnets are listed in order of importance then in a whatever order after that.
I'm still thinking so If you have some more ideas for my site please fill me in. I appreciate it. :))

EAWHS
https://eaw.neocities.org/

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/29/18 02:17 PM

I see what you mean about the light blue washing out. The blue used to designate the links in this sentence stands out just fine :"Post or PM me (MarkEAW) on the CombatACE EAW Forum or on the SimHQ EAW Forum."

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/29/18 03:50 PM

no the download blue links, not the purple ones. I'll have to change the colors eventually again.

Anyway, the search engine needs to catch up, so give that some time to re-index the site to properly use it. It has to drop the old pages and insert the new ones.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/29/18 08:50 PM

While the search eninge is syncing up. I have been improving the new pages/help docs to read better as separate pages from the original docs I took the info from.

Theres a few docs I'm not sure if I should separate the info yet or not.
If anyone sees information sections that may need there own document, please let me know.

EDIT:
I'm seriously thinking of eliminating all the codegroup separate help documents and transplanting those doc as sections into the standard docs. This way all the info will be together. This is because I have found you still need to reference the stock game information to make sense of the info in the codegroup-help-documents.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/30/18 04:19 AM

@RIBob......I think I have all the changes you mentioned and others as well in place.I just haven't added 'flying tactics' from other people in the one related help doc. I can however if its EAW related, add a link for each occurrence on the LINKS page on my web site, in a new section. Do you have a Link(s)?

I believe I asked several specific questions regarding my progress on transforming the site....without rereading my posts, I forget. So if you have (even if you don't have) feedback I'd like your opions on the current state of my site, please.

I'm still filling it out and correcting text to make more sense in the new locations of given information. lol
How about the FIRST USE help document? I'm having a hard time really filling that out. Its suppose to be steps and information for beginners (or returning oldies) to help them quickly understand what they need to know and do.

Regarding the search engine; I'm not sure how it works as far as getting rid of old pages, but so far its added a few of the new pages. I have a redirect page for people looking for the site(or specific page on the site.)

One thing I had to do is move some of the credits to the main page because I can't remember which portions of the pages I got info from whom. I'll eventually be removing credits from every doc as I will be cherry picking information from them and creating new pages.

Please read my past posts to answer my questions if you guys can find the time to do so.
(80,000 views from Feb 2015) That's pretty good for an old game. I don't think that includes every hit, or returning hits in a short amount of time.

Thanks Guys, your words and support have allowed me to take the past few days to changes things up, even with renewed interest in helping out.
Posted By: VonBeerhofen

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/30/18 08:37 AM

Hi Mark,

I think the lightblue links aren't standing out enough, I have a hard time reading them. Always use a high contrasting color, on a grey page it needs to be closer to the darkest. Dark red, purple, green or blue will work fine. On black or dark background pages the lighter colors will work better.

VonBeerhofen

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/30/18 01:02 PM

I changed the download links color again. You might have to clear out your browser cache to see the changes. The new style sheet doesnt load.
Also reloads of the pages/frames is advised as they dont always show up when i make a change.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/30/18 07:33 PM

New link color is much more visible than any color you have used previously, and a very nice improvement. Well done.

For the, uh, intellectually internet challenged, I strongly suggest informing people of what links look like, and as near the beginning of your Help Site as possible.

For example: "Links are displayed like this: [and then give some sort of example of a link on Help Site]", in full color. I realize this is dumbing things down a bit, but such is often needed. It is easy to do, and won't be objected-to, even by experienced internet users.

As always, the goal is increased use of EAW and its variants, so making things as easy as possible for potential users ought to be paramount.

Please allow me to compliment you on the manner with which you have dealt with the constructive criticism recently provided. Your willingness to accept such, and further willingness to adopt many features suggested, do you credit.

I have seen many authors of similar internet documents let their ego over-ride their common sense. Thankfully, you are made of better stuff, and the EAW community benefits from your enlightened attitude.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 07/30/18 07:50 PM

@RIBob......I think I have all the changes you mentioned and others as well in place.I just haven't added 'flying tactics' from other people in the one related help doc. I can however if its EAW related, add a link for each occurrence on the LINKS page on my web site, in a new section. Do you have a Link(s)?

I believe I asked several specific questions regarding my progress on transforming the site....without rereading my posts, I forget. So if you have (even if you don't have) feedback I'd like your opions on the current state of my site, please.

I'm still filling it out and correcting text to make more sense in the new locations of given information. lol
How about the FIRST USE help document? I'm having a hard time really filling that out. Its suppose to be steps and information for beginners (or returning oldies) to help them quickly understand what they need to know and do.

Regarding the search engine; I'm not sure how it works as far as getting rid of old pages, but so far its added a few of the new pages. I have a redirect page for people looking for the site(or specific page on the site.)

One thing I had to do is move some of the credits to the main page because I can't remember which portions of the pages I got info from whom. I'll eventually be removing credits from every doc as I will be cherry picking information from them and creating new pages.

Please read my past posts to answer my questions if you guys can find the time to do so.
(80,000 views from Feb 2015) That's pretty good for an old game. I don't think that includes every hit, or returning hits in a short amount of time.

Thanks Guys, your words and support have allowed me to take the past few days to changes things up, even with renewed interest in helping out.

Mark, not sure if the "@" feature works here. rReceived no notice of your "@RIBob" comment till I actually read it.

Link color revision seems to have been resolved.

EAW flight sim tutorials seem to been have addressed (with links) in this thread, most, but not all, being on second page:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4421120/2/so-how-to-play-eaw. If there are more. I would appreciate such additions here, or in original thread.

Aside from the ongoing re-org of the Help Site, the only thing I would venture to suggest is inclusion of a one-click download of some version of the original[/] game (patched), suitable for most modern Operating Systems. In deference to the many fine subsequent developers of the game, links to their versions should be included., with the mention that such are [I]improved versions of the game.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/02/18 02:03 AM

okay, thanks. I'll get to those links soon.

I've removed all but two code group help documents. I combined them with the stock game help areas. I still need to go through and re word a few things, and move some text over to the troubleshoot document.

Then I'll be back to reviewing the site for errors on occasions.
Have to add a few links for Flight trainng then play with dgvoodoo alittle more.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/02/18 11:32 PM

Didn't see any links there, RIBob. .....

I'm still working on the site off and on during the night and day. Filling out the old and new help docs as some have more room now to add a little bit more text. (How can there be more room? well by that I mean more need for more text, plus if I've learned something since the first time I wrote something, I add to it now)

Just for fun I been doing all this error finding, fixing errors in text and making things easier for everyone that visits.
I guess I been doing most of the work the last 3 nights, but have been rewriting some of it in the past week.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/08/18 01:12 AM

okay,
I literately was pulling on my hair to keep thinking, and keep my focus on things. So all sorts of things are straightened out.
just some minor minor things need correcting.

Tuned up several docs, including troubleshoot and install help docs.
I think im just posting for the sake of posting this past week or so. :\

Any help questions or concerns feel free to post here.

That's all for now that I can think of.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/09/18 07:45 PM

Mark, there are links to various EAW-applicable flight tutorials on Second page of the threat I linked above, some supplied by yourself. Have a look. In my post, I link to a page where a follow-up, EAW-specific, tutorial was posted to STK_EAW pilot-guide. I don't think you have that, yet. Here's a direct link: http://www.combatsim.com/htm/2000/09/stk_eaw_new/page25.htm This last addition was written specifically for on-line players, but I believe it is good advice for all sim pilots.

In fact, this entire page has quite a few tutorials that are probably useable by EAW players:
http://www.combatsim.com/archive/htm/htm_arc4/training.htm. Naturally, your call on whether or not to include links to topics mentioned.

Mark, I feel confident in saying we all sincerely appreciate your latest efforts to make the EAW Help Site even better.

Relax, let the dust settle, and let's all of use have a good look-over. Your efforts are certainly appreciated, that's for certain!

Thank You!

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/09/18 10:04 PM

hmm, okay, not sure how i missed them.
That STK for EAW seems to be an old version, but maybe I can add it to the links pages. The last was v1.06.

I am now relaxing, sorta. I just don't have any errors seen, to be corrected. smile

Thanks RIBob for all the feedback and everyone one else that put some effort forward to help me.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/11/18 10:43 PM

hmm, okay, not sure how i missed them.
That STK for EAW seems to be an old version, but maybe I can add it to the links pages. The last was v1.06.

I am now relaxing, sorta. I just don't have any errors seen, to be corrected. smile

Thanks RIBob for all the feedback and everyone one else that put some effort forward to help me.

It's I, and many others, that owe YOU thanks.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/12/18 08:38 PM

Now that I have suggested some much-deserved rest for you, after all the previous work, I have another suggestion.

Your Help site is literally filled with abbreviations/acronyms. For example, I went to a (linked-by-you) page that was describing Wrapper Programs, and only a few words into the text I encountered the abbreviation "AIP". Still have no idea what "AIP" is, after reading through the document.

Many terms we folks that are even beginning to be conversant with (in EAW game context) are obscure, and many terms are first encountered by newbies/first users of the EAW HELP Site.

Might I suggest the following practice: On first mention of any abbreviation/acronym spell it out first, with cap first letters on all relevant words, and then immediately following the full version, enclose the abbreviation/acronym in parentheses. For example first mention of "Back-Up Iron Sights" on would be followed by (BUIS).

Specific example: "Most rifle users agree that the presence of sighted-in Back-Up Iron Sights (BUIS) is a good insurance policy against optics failure."

A useful addition would be a glossary of terms and acronyms with every and all abbreviations and acronyms alphabetically listed, along with at least a fully-worded description of the abbreviation/acronym.

For example, a user of a Help Site for firearms might encounter "BUIS" further down in the text, long after such term was fully explained. User scrolls up (or down) and clicks on Glossary link, and then scrolls down to "BUIS". Receives info that "BUIS" means "Back-Up Iron Sights". Maybe additional info, if such seems essential. Another click back to original page, where user can read on, having their question answered, is now not confused, and ready to learn.

Now, this is a BIG job, but as against that, requires no skull-sweat, and be done in stages, once the glossary is established, and the links thereto are established on each page of the Help document. Doing this will require you to read through every single line of the Help Site, and possibly catch some things that need to be addressed. It is a simple, but very tedious job, but one that will add greatly to the utility of the Help Site.

One which I am hesitant to ask you to do, after all your very valuable efforts so far. I ask this oly because it seems to be [I[needed[/I] to perfect the Help Site.

If I can help, I will be glad to do so. Just ask.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/12/18 09:10 PM

I try to spell out stuff when I can. I don't recall much not being explained, but maybe you see more than I do.

It won't happen, Good thought anyhow, but this isn't really a wiki, its a plain web site.
I don't really like doing links within documents, hence why I put some at the beginning of the page.
I intentionally avoided adding links in the help docs this time around, there painfully to do them all and keep them pointing in the right location.

Its API....like The GLIDE API. I forgot what it stands for without looking it up on google, its basically the software engine I guess that drives the graphics.

Thanks for the idea though.
If you need anything else explained, I'll update the help doc(s) , but for now I'll have to just catch them as I go otherwise.

Thanks again.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/12/18 10:31 PM

I try to spell out stuff when I can. I don't recall much not being explained, but maybe you see more than I do.

It won't happen, Good thought anyhow, but this isn't really a wiki, its a plain web site.
I don't really like doing links within documents, hence why I put some at the beginning of the page.
I intentionally avoided adding links in the help docs this time around, there painfully to do them all and keep them pointing in the right location.

Its API....like The GLIDE API. I forgot what it stands for without looking it up on google, its basically the software engine I guess that drives the graphics.

Thanks for the idea though.
If you need anything else explained, I'll update the help doc(s) , but for now I'll have to just catch them as I go otherwise.

Thanks again.

If I were you, I'd be very tired of my suggestions. Still, I think it's worth considering. I'm willing to help, if I can.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/13/18 12:01 AM

I'm not tired of your ideas.
I consider them all, this one I happen to given reasons why I won't be doing it.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/23/18 09:02 PM

Mark, thanks for all that you've done. It's a certainty that without your Help Site, I would not be flying EAW today. Thanks to the other helpful folks here, I have additional versions to fly, and all of them have their certain charm.

Much obliged to all of you!

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/28/18 04:43 AM

Your Welcome. As Always.:)

On my site in several / many locations I have question marks ?. These marks usually indicate I've used educated guessing to determine the statement I provided, or that I'm missing the information and need assistance from web page visitors to help me fill in the details.

If your a expert when visiting the site for your needs, can you please provide some sort of details regarding the ? mark I have indicated. It would be helpful to confirm or deny the info too that's present.
I'm just asking in your travels if you can answer them and post here or PM what you know. Thanks.

Beyond That I'm spending more time on my help docs to make sure newbies and experts have a quick reference to details.
The Configuration Doc had topics added. EAWINI, FXEXE, Video help docs have all been touched up.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/30/18 01:50 AM

In the unlikely chance that I can add to your help site, I would not hesitate to do so. I would consider it an honor, and a privilege.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 08/31/18 11:47 PM

Well you have I believe in the past, it was a blur a month or two ago. I added the info and adjusted for what you asked about, then I reorganized the site. All based on mostly your feedback in the past month or so.
Thank You.

But I really need those ??? marks filled in with specifics to round out the site for more advanced reference. aw well we'll see what happens.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 09/01/18 12:18 AM

??? as in this thread, or on your Site? Will help regardless, just give me a place to go.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 09/01/18 01:01 AM

on my site. Just if you run into anything which is blank and contains a ? mark or two or three. It normally means im baffled and guessing, not sure or dont have info to fill in there. Thats all.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 09/01/18 08:11 PM

on my site. Just if you run into anything which is blank and contains a ? mark or two or three. It normally means im baffled and guessing, not sure or dont have info to fill in there. Thats all.

OK, will do.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 09/03/18 11:23 PM

In an attempt to remove some text from the 'Files Help Document', to shorten it and make room for future information. I made a 'Using Addons Help Document'.
Now it needs some work and of course I'll put it in.
Basically its informative, tells you how to install and uninstall stuff, alot of text but very basic as I learn more/gather more info/or info is shared

https://eaw.neocities.org/using-addons.html

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 09/24/18 04:26 AM

I haven't worked on the EAW help site in almost a week. I think its been a week since ive done any real work on it. But I have ideas and routes to take to those ideas.
I just have to find time and motivation to continue researching and 'taking notes'. Then I can formulate either new help docs or add to existing ones.

Just letting everyone know I haven't stopped working.

Actually the last thing I did was reference some Guides and FAQs that where written early 2000 and I corrected the text and updated it for what's know for today and added that info to the Help Site docs.
I also added some mediafire files and removed some repetive files. Found a few new files, and added them to the mediafire account.

Alright well. Until next time I post. Here or at CombatAce EAW Forums.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 09/24/18 10:25 AM

Hey Mark ,,Keep on rockin' The site is a life saver and always getting better

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 09/25/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
Hey Mark ,,Keep on rockin' The site is a life saver and always getting better

Couldn't agree more. Mark, your EAW Help Site is the fundamental and essential aid for people wanting to play the game. There is NO replacement for it. Were it to suddenly vanish, EAW would be left to the dwindling number of current players, with no new folks incoming.

I don't say this lightly, so please listen. Any one of us could be run over by a truck, or somehow die unexpectedly. I hesitate to mention this, but I hope your EAW legacy will survive you.

You have made a monumental contribution to the Game, and the Community. For everyone's sake, I hope you have taken measures to ensure your Help site continues into perpetuity.

There are other Modders and game developers here, and I recognize the value of your contributions. May I suggest you also consider perpetuating your contributions, in some readily accessible form?

None of us are getting any younger, dammit.

Submitted for your consideration, RIBob
Posted By: Rotton50

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 09/25/18 10:03 PM

Saving and sharing our work used to be done through the Talley-ho site but those of us who have converted to the latest EAW series have all our work available to the community through whatever is the latest full version of 1.6.

Unfortunately, the work isn't cataloged the way it is on Mark's site or Talley-ho. You have to be able to go into the various scenarios and plane inventories to get what you want.

The thing is, at this point cataloging everything would be a massive undertaking. However, as long as 1.6 is available for download, there's no concern that our work would die with us.

BTW, none of this means that Talley-ho isn't useful. To this day I return to that site for models for upgrade.

Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff - 10/31/18 12:08 PM

Thanks RIBob, I just seen your post, sorry. lol. You to Russ
The site and archive are constantly backed up and the site web pages in the new design is saved by neocities. Mediafire has the archived backed up on several servers.
I may move the files to a FTP type server rather than mediafire. But the site itself remains where it is, I have 1gig of space where it is and I may place some special files on it.

Minor Updates to my site.
EAWPRO help doc
Install help doc
Troublshoot help doc
CodeGroups Patchs help doc too
many other help docs had touch ups.

Some of these updates are based on the recent issues for the game and recent additions that where made..
© 2024 SimHQ Forums