homepage

FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease

Posted By: Haggart

FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease - 06/28/19 09:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Acana dog food was at the top of the risk list:

"Champion Petfoods, the parent company for Arcana, said it takes the issue and is working "internally and with other industry leaders on research into the cause of DCM in order to help Pet Lovers understand the facts," Champion said in a written statement"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/28/us/dog-food-linked-to-canine-heart-disease/index.html

June 2019 update on DCM from FDA website:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...ate-investigation-dilated-cardiomyopathy
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease - 06/28/19 09:46 PM

Nice to see that Wellness, which I feed my dogs, is not on the list.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease - 06/28/19 10:50 PM

i would never feed my dog ssomething called taste of the wind

Re: FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease - 06/28/19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
i would never feed my dog ssomething called taste of the wind

I think it is called 'Taste of the Wild' not 'Wind'.
Posted By: Dart

Re: FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease - 06/29/19 02:33 AM

And that's even before Southerners deep fry it.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease - 06/29/19 03:50 AM

Meh. 500 complaints about 16 brands of food, out of however many millions of people use them? Statistically insignificant.

Different animal, but I’ve tried a dozen or so brands for my cats before sticking with Taste of the Wild. It’s very nutritionally dense so they don’t have to eat a ton of it to feel full, and thanks to the probiotics when they take a dump it doesn’t stink badly enough to wake me from a sound sleep.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease - 06/29/19 05:40 PM

I haven't looked into dog food options in a long time, but I don't see Alpo or Purina anywhere on that list, and it looks like mostly the fancy stuff they sell with ads that make you think that if you don't feed your dog their fresh, sometimes refrigerated dog food, you're a terrible person and don't care about your pets. They seem to forget that dogs will eat about anything, including their own feces, so all that fancy stuff just seems like a waste of money to me.

Re: FDA Identifies 16 Dog Food Brands Associated with Higher Risk of Canine Heart Disease - 06/29/19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Arthonon
I haven't looked into dog food options in a long time, but I don't see Alpo or Purina anywhere on that list, and it looks like mostly the fancy stuff they sell with ads that make you think that if you don't feed your dog their fresh, sometimes refrigerated dog food, you're a terrible person and don't care about your pets. They seem to forget that dogs will eat about anything, including their own feces, so all that fancy stuff just seems like a waste of money to me.

Humans will eat almost anything as well, but that doesn't mean it is all good for them. I am not saying Alpo or Purina are bad but some foods are definitely better than others.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums