homepage

Semmern is a *bleep*

Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/17/19 07:28 PM

Green with envy!

https://www.facebook.com/aeronorge/videos/2240998979328879/

"Crew chief John Dodd (front) with SAS-pilot og veteran plane pilot Christian Semcesen are ready for ferryflight back to Duxford via Germany."

It took part in the Kjeller airshow this weekend.

Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/17/19 07:55 PM

That is awesome for Semmern!!!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/17/19 08:39 PM

Wow. Most impressive.
Posted By: semmern

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/17/19 09:50 PM

4:20 in the Sea Fury today. Completely and utterly fantastic! The acceleration on takeoff is fantastic, it feels like the plane leaps into the air. We did a couple of low passes at cruise power, and just by diving from 1500 feet in the circuit we attained 300 kts! Our route was Kjeller outside Oslo, via Wilhelmshaven for a fuel stop, and to Duxford. Utterly spectacular all the way! We cruised at 30 inches MP and 1900 RPM, that gave us 220-230 kts IAS and a fuel burn of 65-70 gph. Max continuous is something like 56 inches and 2600 RPM, which should result in spectacular speed and spectacular fuel consumption!

I’ve known this for a while since I started flying vintage planes, but it was nice to get confirmation in the Fury: I am sorry to have to shoot down all those who claim Oleg’s flight models in the IL-2 series to be the best of all time. They are completely rubbish. The Sea Fury is completely and utterly stable, and with the help of servo tabs, the control loads are light at all speeds. There is almost no adverse yaw, so there is surprisingly little use for the rudder other than during takeoff and landing. In many ways it flew like a jet. No wonder, since the Fury in many ways was the link between piston fighters and the first jets. In IL-2, planes will instantly flick the moment you pull a little too hard. No feeling of stability whatsoever. And no feeling of power. This plane just screams POWER the moment you open the throttle!

Pilot in command was John Dodd, captain at British Airways and experienced Sea Fury, Mustang and Spitfire pilot.

As we flew over the Netherlands we talked about how it would have been to fight in these machines. The Sea Fury isn’t that far removed from a Tempest, which was what Pierre Clostermann flew. If you have read The Big Show you will know that he was stationed in the Netherlands in 1945, and flew around the area we passed through, in his Tempest. Just imagine going flat out downhill at 500 mph trying to catch a V-1!

All in all a fantastic experience! And it just reaffirmed my goal to one day fly a Spitfire or a Mustang solo.
Posted By: shan2

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 12:21 AM

Holy mackerel!!!

eek
Posted By: JimK

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 12:34 AM

You are a very skilled Pilot and I have no doubt you will succeed in flying both those fine planes. Best of luck to you.
Look us up if you ever make it to Spokane, where we are moving.
Posted By: piper

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 12:34 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, semmern truly gets the "Last Word"!

ps semmern, you should apply to Nasa
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 12:51 AM

Oh my Semmern ! What a great experience. I am envious. Truly and deeply envious.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 01:45 AM

Dude!
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Dude!

+1
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 08:25 AM

Fabtastic!! Semmern must be one of the very few members who has had the privilege to fly such an awesome vintage fighter aeroplane, albeit it didn't enter service until 1947 I believe.
How many G were you pulling and how did you cope with it one wonders? Though I envy you tour experience I would be showering the spectators with copious amounts of vomit and probably worse!

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 07:39 PM

Picture time!

Crossing over from Sweden to Denmark, off the coast of Gothenburg

[Linked Image]

My view forward, quite limited. The rear cockpit is both narrow and shallow, and the canopy doesn’t leave much headroom for me at 6 ft 2 in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Passing Aarhus in Denmark

[Linked Image]

Fuel stop at Wilhelmshaven in Germany. A place I bet many here have bombed in B-17: The Mighty Eighth smile We filled 178 USG!

[Linked Image]

We crossed the Channel from Oostende in Belgium to just north of Manston. Here we have just made landfall in England

[Linked Image]

On the ground at Duxford

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 07:41 PM

Hey, nice screenshot semmern. Which sim is that from? ;-)

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 08:02 PM

You could have at least shaved for the event.

I hope you got some good pictures of you in the cockpit and standing beside it.

Have I said that I am truly and deeply envious ?

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by BD-123
Fabtastic!! Semmern must be one of the very few members who has had the privilege to fly such an awesome vintage fighter aeroplane, albeit it didn't enter service until 1947 I believe.
How many G were you pulling and how did you cope with it one wonders? Though I envy you tour experience I would be showering the spectators with copious amounts of vomit and probably worse!

I already fly aerobatics, so anything up to 5-6 G doesn’t bother me much. Didn’t get to do any aerobatics yesterday, as fuel saving was on the agenda, just a couple of gentle wingovers and some steep turns. Maybe next time wink
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/18/19 11:37 PM

Well, having this much fun must be illegal, so I hope the cops were waiting for you when you landed! And roughed you up, a bit, on the way to the station!
Okay, yeah...just a little envious. But, really, that's terrific. Hottest airplane I ever flew was my little SONEX. Okay, it wasn't a Sea Fury...but at least it didn't burn almost 100 gallons of fuel an hour, either.
I think, honestly though, that we're going to be seeing you posting your solo Spitfire flight in here. You're heading there, I think.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/19/19 12:49 AM

Wayyyy cool!

(btw, I'm with you that just about every flight sim has the planes too twitchy)
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/19/19 12:58 AM

There was a Sea Fury (single seat) at an airshow about 15 years ago at Narrabri in NSW. It was a static display though I did get to look in the cockpit. Surely the best of all the prop-driven fighter aircraft, the P-51 notwithstanding.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/19/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard

Such a classic command comment should be brass plated, put on the Sim HQ homepage, and have brasso jockeys designated to polish it for eternity.

Very cool experience semmern, in our little tribe here, you just accomplished what so many of us dream of. Kudo's...

Now, how about knocking out about FIFTY pushups for looking like Joe #%&*$# the Ragman while making us all envious! winkngrin
Posted By: JimK

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/19/19 03:09 AM

WOW, that is awsome. my last time seeing a real Sea Furry was in 2010.

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/19/19 04:33 AM

Group buy -

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...p;listing_id=2358722&s-type=aircraft
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/19/19 05:14 AM

Wow !!!
*Bleep* with a capital B biggrin

I remember Clostermann indicating in Le Grand Cirque that flying the Tempest was a handful, particularly with engine management.
Similar with this bad boy, or mostly ironed out by then?

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/19/19 07:06 AM

Or a group project:
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...p;listing_id=2339565&s-type=aircraft

Re: Semmern is a *bleep* - 06/19/19 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Originally Posted by oldgrognard

Such a classic command comment should be brass plated, put on the Sim HQ homepage, and have brasso jockeys designated to polish it for eternity.

Very cool experience semmern, in our little tribe here, you just accomplished what so many of us dream of. Kudo's...

Now, how about knocking out about FIFTY pushups for looking like Joe #%&*$# the Ragman while making us all envious! winkngrin

Tough crowd! biggrin

Originally Posted by Pooch
Well, having this much fun must be illegal, so I hope the cops were waiting for you when you landed! And roughed you up, a bit, on the way to the station!
Okay, yeah...just a little envious. But, really, that's terrific. Hottest airplane I ever flew was my little SONEX. Okay, it wasn't a Sea Fury...but at least it didn't burn almost 100 gallons of fuel an hour, either.
I think, honestly though, that we're going to be seeing you posting your solo Spitfire flight in here. You're heading there, I think.

I certainly hope so! I did shoot some video with my GoPro, will try to get it on here.

Originally Posted by Sluggish Controls
Wow !!!
*Bleep* with a capital B biggrin

I remember Clostermann indicating in Le Grand Cirque that flying the Tempest was a handful, particularly with engine management.
Similar with this bad boy, or mostly ironed out by then?

Cheers,
Slug

Managing the old big pistons is something of a dark art. They require gentle movements of the throttle, just the right amount of priming, thorough warming and don’t like it when you let the airloads drive the propeller. Certainly is a big part of flying the old planes.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums