Posted By: Zamzow

This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/11/19 03:26 AM

https://www.wimp.com/this-kestrels-...adwinds-needs-to-be-seen-to-be-believed/
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/11/19 03:45 AM

Wow, better than a machine.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/11/19 05:03 AM

It IS a machine. It just has a BRAIN that's actually made for the job...
Posted By: RedToo

Re: This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/11/19 07:00 PM

I've often seen kestrels keeping to an exact spot in space either by hovering (an old name for the kestrel is 'windhover'), or gliding into the wind, but that is just amazing.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/11/19 09:43 PM

The head stabilization is fairly common in birds. I won't say they can all do it, but I've seen videos of pigeons, owls and one or two other species. I'd guess that if a bird can't it's chances of survival are significant'ly reduced.
Posted By: RedToo

Re: This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/11/19 10:07 PM

I don't think many birds would match that kestrel in the same conditions. The kestrel is using its ability to stay still to track its prey on the ground below, mice and other mouse sized mammals.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/12/19 08:34 AM

I used to amuse the children by picking up one of the hens and moving it around, it's head remaining in the same position.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/12/19 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by BD-123
I used to amuse the children by picking up one of the hens and moving it around, it's head remaining in the same position.

biggrin Me too.

You could also fold their head under one of their wings and then gently swing the bird around in a circular motion for a few seconds then set her on the ground and she could barely walk for a minute, dizzy from the motion.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: This bird flies and does image stabling SICK - 06/13/19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Originally Posted by BD-123

biggrin Me too.

You could also fold their head under one of their wings and then gently swing the bird around in a circular motion for a few seconds then set her on the ground and she could barely walk for a minute, dizzy from the motion.

Did you ever try the trick of pencilling a line on a paving slab, putting a hen in front of it and they would be fixated for minutes on end?
© 2024 SimHQ Forums