homepage

First Trans Atlantic attempt

Posted By: No105_Archie

First Trans Atlantic attempt - 05/18/19 02:14 PM

100 years ago today Hawker and Grieve made the first attempt to fly non stop across the Atlantic. The took of from a field just outside St. John's in their Sopwith Atlantic and ditched off the coast of Britain some 14 hours later having failed to make the crossing. They were presumed to have ben lost and their wives were awarded a pension by the King but folks were overjoyed when they arrived in Britain aboard a steamer that had picked them up. ( not sure what happened with the pensions smile )

They are largely forgotten in the shadow of Alcock and Brown who made in from St. John's to Clifdon Ireland in June the same year ...but Hawker and Grieve were the first to try smile

https://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/economy/aviation-pioneer-period.php
Posted By: mikew

Re: First Trans Atlantic attempt - 05/18/19 04:25 PM

Thanks Archie, I'd never heard of them until now.

50 years after that in 1969, was roughly when I heard about Alcock and Brown and the other pioneers when to a kid, aviation was as exciting as it gets. The B747 and Concorde were making test flights so the choice would be between supersonic speed and 'piano bar' comfort. With people also walking about on the Moon in 1969, the future sure looked amazing. smile

Anyway, 50 years after that in 2019, I'll try not to think about that when I get shoe-horned into a B737/A320 MBALiner tomorrow. frown
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: First Trans Atlantic attempt - 05/18/19 08:41 PM

Those early days were dangerous.

Archie, I think you have to contact N-L Heritage with a correction.

"3. the Handley Page Company Group, led by British pilot Mark Kerr (Handley Page was an American aircraft manufacturer)"

H-P is a British company.
Posted By: Meatsheild

Re: First Trans Atlantic attempt - 05/18/19 09:46 PM

yea thats a big boo boo, its a bit like saying boeing was british!!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums