homepage

First console with no disc drive

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

First console with no disc drive - 04/16/19 10:26 PM

Is this the beginning of the end for stores like Game Stop?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/16/microsoft-250-xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition-no-disc-crive.html
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: First console with no disc drive - 04/16/19 10:33 PM

I thought the first (current generation) was the Nintendo Switch? Or does it have one?

Don't own one, so I dunno!

EDIT: Still the Switch does have a physical media, so same thing really as a disc drive.

Anyway back on topic... Yea I can guess 2nd hand game stores will not like this trend appearing on consoles!
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: First console with no disc drive - 04/16/19 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

They already said tehre will be a disc version, so no
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: First console with no disc drive - 04/16/19 11:09 PM

PS5 confirmed to be backward compatible, with a disc drive.
It's probably Microsoft's way of offering a cheaper version of the Xbox One, for those that don't need a disc drive.
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: First console with no disc drive - 04/17/19 03:14 PM

All digital? Even with a disc drive, it's still all digital. Of course, if want to nitpick, the audio out from the controllers for headphones is analog. smile

Also, Nintendo 64 had no disc drive along with all other cartridge-based consoles.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: First console with no disc drive - 04/17/19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by adlabs6
I thought the first (current generation) was the Nintendo Switch? Or does it have one?

Don't own one, so I dunno!

EDIT: Still the Switch does have a physical media, so same thing really as a disc drive.

Anyway back on topic... Yea I can guess 2nd hand game stores will not like this trend appearing on consoles!

Technically yes it doesn't have a disc drive. Obviously the OP meant no physical media drive because cartridge based consoles existed before disc based ones though. wink

For Nintendo consoles I prefer cartridges even if the load a bit slower because you can get the games cheaper 2nd hand and then sell them. Nintendo games hold value.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums