homepage

Notre Dame de Paris in fire

Posted By: Roudou

Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 05:38 PM

Apparently the fire started just under the roof around 6:50 PM local (7:38 PM now), and is not under control yet.

I really hope firemen will save this monument.

[Linked Image]

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 05:48 PM

nope

Sorry for the pic quality, my connection is bad.

Attached picture NDP.png
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 06:00 PM

frown

gonna be years to rebuild and restore it. Decades even.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 06:01 PM

That is really terrible. My guess would be an electrical fire.

I read that there was recent renovation work done on the church. Maybe it's related?
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 06:04 PM

That is truly a shame.

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I read that there was recent renovation work done on the church. Maybe it's related?

It is the current supposition, but nothing more than a supposition.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 06:16 PM

A shame.

News so far, seems to be reported nobody died. Hopefully true.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 06:33 PM

It took 200 years to build and hours to render in to a shell frown so sad to see.

I visited it in 1966,

now they are evacuating the rest of the island where the Notre Dame is.
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 08:17 PM

So tragic, can't replace everything that was destroyed.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 10:54 PM

Tragic.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/15/19 11:56 PM

Terrible. Iconic building.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 12:48 AM

Hmmm.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-atta...-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 02:35 AM

A bit premature to start that kind of speculation, Crane. So far they think it's related to the renovation work that was being done. We may never know for sure, considering the intensity of the fire. Right now my biggest question is how they're going to remove that scaffolding. It must be compromised. I'm surprised it didn't collapse.
Posted By: Coot

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 03:07 AM

It is sad to see. These things do happen but it feels somewhat suspect to me. I hope it was not intentional.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 03:15 AM

CATHOLIC CHURCHES ARE BEING DESECRATED ACROSS FRANCE—AND OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY

Wild guess???

The "princes of the church" have been abusing children for entertainment for centuries. Might just deserve some payback, either Karma or a pissed off individual.

I am sorry about the damage to Notre Dame, and it's historical treasures, regardless of the whacko wierdos in that little slum in Rome....think about it. Not only in the context of celibacy in the FIRST century, but lets slow forward it to the Twenty First Century.

That’s enough. Community Hall is not the place to air your political views or opinions. Don’t do it again.

I am truly sad I never got to see the Cathedral.

Maybe build a cube this time?
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 04:22 AM

All I could think was "Noooooo" frown

Really..noo frown

What an awful loss for humanity.
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 06:12 AM

I have been there several times and to me the greatest shame is the destruction of the marvellous stained glass windows. It was a lot more than a Church, though it was that, but also a great work of art. The successive French governments of the past 50 years have much to answer for in terms of essential maintenance neglected. At least the spire "only" dated from 1831 and can be replaced. There is much that cannot though.
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 07:48 AM

Disheartening news.
Looking across the Seine River towards Notre Dame should be on everyone's "Parisian routine". It was always on mine, particularly in the evening !

There is no doubt the cathedral will be rebuilt, while most of the most valuable relics have apparently been moved right on time.
Some are already raising concerns on the eventual rebuilt and its acoustic. A choral performed at Notre Dame may never sound the same ever again :-/
Not much news about the "Le Grand Orgue de Notre Dame". Has it survived the fire ? Probably not.
It was majestic.

Cheers anyway,
Slug
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 12:29 PM

Saw photos of the main hall this morning. Surprised to see as much remaining as there was (compared to other cathedral fire photos I've seen). The rear area looked like a good bit of water and smoke damage, but hopefully plenty of room to salvage a good bit of antiquity, instead of it's total loss.
Posted By: RedToo

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 01:19 PM

Saw it in '77. Really sad about this. The stained glass windows were/ are exceptional.

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 02:55 PM

I'm waiting for the architect's report, especially to know exactly what is the damage on the stone structure.

But they said until now:

- Glass windows are still there, probably damage as junctions with stone wall are made with lead, plus soot.
- The "Grand Orgue" did not burn, but it took water and soot, probably damaged.
- A part of the nave collapsed
- Obviously, the framework and the roof are totaly destroyed.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 04:53 PM

Sorry about going off the rails, as this a cultural tragedy.

I wasn't political, it was personal. Still, no excuse.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/16/19 05:53 PM

Lots of money pouring in. To bad it is after the disaster.

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/17/19 02:22 AM

Yes, glad to see wealthy people stepping up instead of sitting back and saying, "Gee, I hope they'll rebuild it." These are people who have visited many times because they could afford to. Having them immediately accept the responsibility that comes with that wealth restores my faith in humanity, to a degree.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/17/19 06:03 PM

i heard they are raising up 800 million euros for the reconstruction...excuse me ? what is that building made of , vibranium ?
For that price they could build a new one and a small replica,too bad no one cares for the penny condition of museums and heritage untill something happen.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/17/19 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
i heard they are raising up 800 million euros for the reconstruction...excuse me ? what is that building made of , vibranium ?
For that price they could build a new one and a small replica,too bad no one cares for the penny condition of museums and heritage untill something happen.

The ever-vigilant cynic in me says that these billionaires and millionaires who have pledged donations are doing it for the great public relations bump. Nothing is ever truly free. wink
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/17/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ

Its extremely labor and research intensive when a lot of the construction is going to be utilizing original techniques where practical, as is customary when restoring historic structures..

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 12:47 AM

Labor, yes. Research, I'm not so sure. Given the fame of the building, I would imagine there isn't much not already known and easily accessed about it.
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 01:58 AM

Apparently the game "Assassins Creed" contains a very accurate record of the interior, usable in the restoration.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Max
Apparently the game "Assassins Creed" contains a very accurate record of the interior, usable in the restoration.

WOW, just watched it again tonight. Unreal.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 07:00 AM

A decision is going to need to be made as to whether they restore it to its last representation which was an 1800's restoration, or to the original building style as it was built some 800 years ago.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 01:41 PM

They might not be as committed to replicating an earlier state as one might expect.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/46083/france-will-host-international-design-competition-emily-zanotti

That appears to just be about the spire, so maybe the cathedral internals will be more of a restoration, if it is possible.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 01:50 PM

Wild that this took over a hundred years to build. Nowdays, we put up skyscrapers in a few years. I doubt though, that such craftmanship as seen in this and other gothic works, is possible in modern times.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 03:19 PM

And, there wasn't any computers around to help with the designing of the structure.

If any are interested, Middle Age Architecture: How the great cathedrals were built - Documentary

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Wild that this took over a hundred years to build. Nowdays, we put up skyscrapers in a few years.

My son said the same thing last night, Blast. But, as I reminded him, doing that kind of stone work by hand takes time. I don't think the average person considers that very much. Too spoiled by what one man with a hydraulic machine can do. But to lift thousand-pound blocks with timber and rope hoists... just to build the hoists, for that matter...takes time. And as you mentioned, the intricate carvings done by hand, are also very time consuming.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 09:01 PM

I'm sure most of you here know it, but I found Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" very interesting when it came to descriping (obviously not in a fully documentary way) how a cathedral was built, and the finer nuances of how to manage all that weight and static calculations. Pretty impressive indeed in a world without computers.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 09:35 PM

I’ve read that too. It was very interesting and I learned a lot of things I had not even considered. It made me understand some of the architectural techniques.
Posted By: 462cid

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/18/19 09:51 PM

Thee is such national and civic identity tied up here, it's hard to really gauge the loss.
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: Notre Dame de Paris in fire - 04/19/19 01:38 AM

The National Cathedral in Washington DC was started in 1907 under President Teddy Roosevelt and completed in 1990 under President George H.W Bush.
Stone work even in the 20th century takes a long time and a whole lot of money.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums