homepage

SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft

Posted By: F4UDash4

SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/02/19 02:16 PM

https://youtu.be/2ZL0tbOZYhE

Looking forward to actual crew being launched this summer!
Posted By: rwatson

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/02/19 02:41 PM

Spot on F4 it's time we got back in to the space race hopefully we will revisit the moon soon,,What impresses me is the stage one boosters landing on a pad,,I hope it progresses Hitching a ride isn't our style Good Post F4

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/02/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
Hitching a ride isn't our style

thumbsup
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/02/19 03:35 PM

Excellent smile
Posted By: piper

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/02/19 11:59 PM

This is fantastic news!

Was worried NASA wouldn't clear them to launch (was something about crew escape system).
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/03/19 12:26 AM

The escape system gets tested on the next Crew Dragon demonstration launch.

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/03/19 01:39 PM

SpaceX has tested the crew escape system on the ground, demonstrating the ability to abort on the pad from a booster that is about to explode. The next abort test will be an actual launch (using the launch vehicle they recovered about a week ago, which was it's 3rd) and abort during ascent.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/03/19 03:18 PM

WOW three times on the same booster ?? Way to go Space X !!

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/03/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
WOW three times on the same booster ?? Way to go Space X !!

The upcoming booster ascent escape crew escape demonstration will be its 4th and probably last, I don't think they're going to try to recover it after the test. In which case they will launch it without legs or grid fins. The grid fins are very expensive, milled from a single piece of titanium I believe.
Posted By: RedToo

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/03/19 10:20 PM

Docked with the ISS:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/scien...ragon-capsule-that-has-docked-on-the-iss
Posted By: Haggart

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/03/19 10:25 PM

awesome ! thanks for posting it
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/04/19 07:40 PM

I am only just catching up on this. Great news!

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/08/19 01:46 PM

Splashdown.

Looked picture perfect, the entire mission.

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/08/19 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Splashdown.

Looked picture perfect, the entire mission.

yep thumbsup
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/10/19 07:46 PM

I'd love to see the Dragon also be able to land like the Stage 1. BTW, that stage 1 landing reminds me of when I used to think that that kind of landing with a rocket looked so phony on the old-time T.V. and movie science fiction shows. Well, it's not so phony now, is it? biggrin

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 03/12/19 08:18 PM

Minimalism Goes to Space

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 04/21/19 03:07 AM

SpaceX confirms anomaly during Crew Dragon abort engine test

An accident Saturday during an abort engine test on a Crew Dragon test vehicle at Cape Canaveral sent a reddish-orange plume into the sky visible for miles around, a setback for SpaceX and NASA as teams prepare the capsule for its first mission with astronauts.

SpaceX is testing the Crew Dragon ahead of the capsule’s first test flight with astronauts later this year, following a successful Crew Dragon demonstration mission to the International Space Station in early March.

SpaceX confirmed the accident, first reported by Florida Today, in a statement Saturday evening. No injuries were reported.

“Earlier today, SpaceX conducted a series of engine tests on a Crew Dragon test vehicle on our test stand at Landing Zone 1 in Cape Canaveral, Florida,” a company spokesperson said. “The initial tests completed successfully but the final test resulted in an anomaly on the test stand.”

One report I saw stated that the spacecraft was "all but destroyed".

Attached picture 9a1cb99c-4794-43a3-89a5-03c1157c55c5-crb042019_spacex_3_.jpg

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 04/21/19 12:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scz-fFZT-dI

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 04/21/19 01:29 PM

Dayum... That is bound to move the manned Crew Dragon flights further out on the calendar. Better, obviously, to find this stuff out now.
Posted By: Khai

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 04/21/19 01:32 PM

https://youtu.be/5UwKiAfLMz0?t=1
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 04/22/19 05:13 PM

SpaceX experienced a setback yesterday. Apparently the Dragon capsule that recently returned from space, exploded.

Kaboom:

They had it sitting on the launch pad for tests. Not sure what happened yet. Space X is pretty hush-hush about this, and already trying to cover up the leaked video by deleting the original tweet. They are calling this an "anomaly."

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...-we-dont-about-the-crew-dragon-accident/

Either way, never fear. Space is dangerous. But that's no reason we should stop trying. The next Dragon capsule will be better than ever.

Re: SpaceX Just Launched a Crew Capable Spacecraft - 07/15/19 11:17 PM

Initial data reviews indicated that the anomaly occurred approximately 100 milliseconds prior to ignition of Crew Dragon’s eight SuperDraco thrusters and during pressurization of the vehicle’s propulsion systems. Evidence shows that a leaking component allowed liquid oxidizer – nitrogen tetroxide (NTO) – to enter high-pressure helium tubes during ground processing. A slug of this NTO was driven through a helium check valve at high speed during rapid initialization of the launch escape system, resulting in structural failure within the check valve. The failure of the titanium component in a high-pressure NTO environment was sufficient to cause ignition of the check valve and led to an explosion.

https://www.spacex.com/news/2019/07/15/update-flight-abort-static-fire-anomaly-investigation
© 2024 SimHQ Forums