homepage

Film genres that seem to be dead

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/10/19 03:02 PM

Maybe it's a different story in other countries but there are two specific film genres/topics that seem to be effectively dead in the US.

1. US Civil War

Can anyone think of any recent movie besides "Free State of Jones" that actually came out in theaters?

The last commercially successful US Civil war theatrical release was "Cold Mountain" and that was released in 2003!

2. Submarine warfare

"Hunter Killer" from last year completely tanked at the box office. "U-571" from 2000 is the last commercially successful submarine film that I can think of.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/10/19 03:13 PM

Haven't seen Hunter Killer. Was waiting on DVD. Any good?

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/10/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Haven't seen Hunter Killer. Was waiting on DVD. Any good?

I’ve not seen it yet but will check it out when available on Netflix. The movie stars Gary Oldman snd Gerard Butler.
Posted By: finlander

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/10/19 04:19 PM

I saw Hunter Killer. May be the most unrealistic submarine movie I ever saw but it was a submarine movie and I watch 'em all. Didn't have aliens and giant robots but prbly should have. I enjoyed it. Don't recommend it but I found it entertaining.
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/11/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by finlander
I saw Hunter Killer. May be the most unrealistic submarine movie I ever saw but it was a submarine movie and I watch 'em all. Didn't have aliens and giant robots but prbly should have. I enjoyed it. Don't recommend it but I found it entertaining.

LMAO!!! That is the most hilarious and honest movie review I have ever read. I read, " It sucks but if you like sub movies you should watch it, but it had no substance and was totally unrealistic, but it could have been better if it had aliens and/or giant robots. The potential was there. If you like it great, but if you think it sucks, don't blame me, I WARNED YOU!.

Price Less finlander. Thank you. yep

S!Blade<><
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/11/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Originally Posted by finlander

LMAO!!! That is the most hilarious and honest movie review I have ever read. I read, " It sucks but if you like sub movies you should watch it, but it had no substance and was totally unrealistic, but it could have been better if it had aliens and/or giant robots. The potential was there. If you like it great, but if you think it sucks, don't blame me, I WARNED YOU!.

Price Less finlander. Thank you. yep

S!Blade<><

I felt the same way. I am not trying to make some back-handed compliment, but I have watched movies and felt exactly like Finlander. I have enjoyed movies but could not feel justified in recommending them to cinema-files. smile

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/11/19 01:44 PM

Thanks Blade, 20 years of lurking around here finally pays off!
Posted By: semmern

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/11/19 11:02 PM

The «thinking man’s spy movie» seems to be all but dead. I LOVED Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and am eagerly awaiting the rumoured Smiley’s People remake. Gary Oldman did a fantastic job as always.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/11/19 11:28 PM

Movies today must be full of blood, guts and mayhem. The more the better.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 01:27 AM

Gerard Butler. It's like they keep pushing him as an A list action star when he is a D list daytime movie chap.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 01:29 AM

I'm just glad Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller stopped making movies.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 01:50 AM

Oh yes, Me too.

It seems some of the B movie story lines are dead. Films about Hot Rods, Teenagers as Rebels. Napoleonic War and Musicals. ( thank goodness )

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 02:37 PM

Me too, watching Adam Sandler is more fun than poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick...
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 04:58 PM

Yes, love Sandler movies, watching them is more fun than punching yourself in the face repeatedly!

Disclaimer: I am not trolling you finlander. I give you my word. Your sense of humor provokes mine also. Seriously! I'm not kidding. No, really...... seriously dude! I'm being for real here!

S!Blade<><

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 07:20 PM

Caddyshack was far better but I have to admit, I enjoyed watching Buzz Aldrin kick his sorry ass...
Posted By: Coot

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 07:38 PM

There's not been a big screen, quality Western it seems in quite a long time. The last big motion picture that I can think of is Open Range. Now there's lots of straight to DVD type Westerns and some of them are pretty good. Sam Shepard did one called Blackthorn that was actually pretty good.(Also had beautiful cinematography) I also saw a trailer on Youtube for another B quality Western with one of Clint Eastwood's sons. The movie and quality looked pretty crappy in my opinion but this young man definately has his Dad's look and with the right vision and production (If he's got the acting ability) he could probably star in some serious Westerns. I've always felt that Kevin Costner is not really a great actor, however, he does shine in the genre of Westerns. That is something that I think he does very well not only as a director but also in his acting style and personality which to me fits that genre for some reason. I'm still hoping that he's got another good one in him.

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Coot
There's not been a big screen, quality Western it seems in quite a long time. The last big motion picture that I can think of is Open Range. Now there's lots of straight to DVD type Westerns and some of them are pretty good. Sam Shepard did one called Blackthorn that was actually pretty good.(Also had beautiful cinematography) I also saw a trailer on Youtube for another B quality Western with one of Clint Eastwood's sons. The movie and quality looked pretty crappy in my opinion but this young man definately has his Dad's look and with the right vision and production (If he's got the acting ability) he could probably star in some serious Westerns. I've always felt that Kevin Costner is not really a great actor, however, he does shine in the genre of Westerns. That is something that I think he does very well not only as a director but also in his acting style and personality which to me fits that genre for some reason. I'm still hoping that he's got another good one in him.

What about True Grit? It’s a remake, but a pretty good one, IMO.

I agree about Costner. Open Range is a favourite of mine.
Posted By: Coot

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 08:48 PM

Forgot about that one semmern. Yes I thought it was pretty good. Sometimes he seems to do it too much in his movies but his grumbly personality and delivery worked here. Its still not on the same level as those others I feel. I'm a fan of the original True Grit. There was also that "Homesman" or something with Tommy Lee Jones and I did not think that was good at all. Maybe because its not really a true Western. More of an odd, not terribly interesting story set in that period. I liked "The Missing" with Tommy Lee Jones. Again those are all from over a decade ago.

Speaking of Jeff Bridges I watched his Wild Bill Hickok movie from the 90s and that was horrible. It had some interesting ideas and it wasn't so much him(I kind of like his flare and style in portraying that character though its likely not accurate)but the movie was just goofy and terrible in my opinion. It has some good actors but also some that did not fit. The writing and story were not very good either and don't like how they handled the ending. Very much a Hollywood "Western" in the worse sense.
Posted By: Vaderini

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 09:16 PM

I miss the writing and pacing of movies like in the old days. I find myself constantly yearning for a Humphrey Bogart or Hitchcock movie.

Originally Posted by semmern
The «thinking man’s spy movie» seems to be all but dead. I LOVED Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and am eagerly awaiting the rumoured Smiley’s People remake. Gary Oldman did a fantastic job as always.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was a welcome throwback to that era. You should definitely watch "The Angel" on Netflix as well, I found it a pretty decent spy flick for current standards smile

@Coot: What about Django Unchained?
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 09:21 PM

Tinker, Tailor was not *anything* like as good as the original book, or even the TV series. I did manage to watch it all the way through, but not on the first viewing. Was disappointed in it.
Posted By: 462cid

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 10:13 PM

Comedy/horror and kung fu/horror

both more fun genres than you think
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/12/19 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lieste
Tinker, Tailor was not *anything* like as good as the original book, or even the TV series. I did manage to watch it all the way through, but not on the first viewing. Was disappointed in it.

This is why I am more prone to reading books than watching movies. Pick any movie, that you enjoyed, that was based on a book. The book is always better, even if the movie was good. The Green Mile would be a good example.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/13/19 12:38 AM

I would like to see the "Hollywood" film genre die, and given the increasing quality of indie and fan made movies, that time can't be too far off.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/13/19 12:54 AM

It does seem like the classic comedy movie has long been dead. I mean the kind of movie that is funny the whole way through, not just the part from the movie trailer they show on the commercial. I know I have not been part of a target demographic for quite some time, but most of the younger people I have talked to can't seem to name one good comedy classic of late either.

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/13/19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by LB4LB
It does seem like the classic comedy movie has long been dead. I mean the kind of movie that is funny the whole way through, not just the part from the movie trailer they show on the commercial. I know I have not been part of a target demographic for quite some time, but most of the younger people I have talked to can't seem to name one good comedy classic of late either.

Snatch is my favourite comedy, and it’s from 2000. Pretty much the whole movie is extremely quoteable and One of Brad Pitt’s best roles, IMO.

«D’ya like dags?»

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/13/19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ajay
Gerard Butler. It's like they keep pushing him as an A list action star when he is a D list daytime movie chap.

He USED to be A-list a few years ago. Now he just gets lead roles in mostly box office bombs.

And he owes his entire former A-list status on exactly ONE film: 300.

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/13/19 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cichlidfan

This is why I am more prone to reading books than watching movies. Pick any movie, that you enjoyed, that was based on a book. The book is always better, even if the movie was good. The Green Mile would be a good example.

I've not read "Fight Club" but the author was quoted on many interviews saying that he felt the film was better than his book!

As for me personally, I think 2001: A Space Odyssey the film is better than the book but then again this is Stanley Kubrick we are talking about.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/13/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

He USED to be A-list a few years ago. Now he just gets lead roles in mostly box office bombs.

I liked him in Beowulf and Grendel.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Film genres that seem to be dead - 01/13/19 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lieste
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I liked him in Beowulf and Grendel.

+1
© 2024 SimHQ Forums