homepage

Ozzie's Birthday

Posted By: rwatson

Ozzie's Birthday - 12/03/18 11:01 AM

"The Prince Of Darkness" Ozzie turns 70 today,,Let's Rock !!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/03/18 11:41 AM

If it wasn't for that silly reality show he had back in the early 2000's, he would have faded into obscurity a long time ago. Having said that, he had some pretty good songs in the 70's and 80's.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/03/18 03:10 PM

Ozzie and Jack's world Tour..For sure he was toasted for that one..But hell his net worth is $220 million,,but as a lot of old rockers he is proof of what drugs do to you
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/03/18 03:15 PM

happy_bday 'Prince...'.

There's an excellent Ozzy/Sabbath tribute that comes through town every so often (I've read they're really good), but I doubt I'll subject my hearing to it. Same with doing another ZoSo show (Led Zeppelin tribute), these guys are freaking loud!

Oh well. You can stay young at heart and mind but the body doesn't always keep up.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/03/18 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
Ozzie and Jack's world Tour..For sure he was toasted for that one..But hell his net worth is $220 million,,but as a lot of old rockers he is proof of what drugs do to you

Ozzy has been quoted as saying that he didn't expect to be alive past 30.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/03/18 03:43 PM

Hell I didn't expect to live past 19..but we are both still kicking
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/03/18 06:29 PM

I actually played in an Ozzy/Sabbath tribute band for a few years.... gave me a whole new respect for his music and the talent of his musicians.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/04/18 05:12 AM

happy_bday Ozzie!!

Wheels

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/05/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlueHeron
I actually played in an Ozzy/Sabbath tribute band for a few years.... gave me a whole new respect for his music and the talent of his musicians.

That's pretty cool. thumbsup

Reminds me of having long hair and mountains of 8-tracks on my dresser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3LvhdFEOqs

An early live version of Goodbye to Romance with Randy Rhoads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS75B10MV_w

"Hey Randy's doing a solo. Lets show the bassist." Lol.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/06/18 10:24 AM

My tenuous connection with him is that we used to visit a Harley Riders' Club that met in the pub the band used to frequent in their early years. And an ex-girlfriend of mine was pictured dressed in a black cloak in the artwork for an album cover.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/06/18 11:01 AM

One of my all time favorite Ozzy songs:

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/07/18 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by BD-123
My tenuous connection with him is that we used to visit a Harley Riders' Club that met in the pub the band used to frequent in their early years. And an ex-girlfriend of mine was pictured dressed in a black cloak in the artwork for an album cover.

Say whaaa?? Somewhere here? biggrin

[Linked Image]

One more (had to choose studio quality, although I thought I remembered this one having an official video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tHAxxni8RM

Attached picture cd-1981-diary_of_a_madman-us-bl_36816-01.jpg

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/08/18 10:46 AM

No, on this one:
[Linked Image]
Their first album I believe.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/08/18 02:31 PM

Looks like that album cover photo was taken at some farm in the middle of nowhere England. smile
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/08/18 03:18 PM

It looks like a full body shot of an evil Mona Lisa.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/08/18 06:11 PM

No wonder I couldn't figure it out, I was only looking at Ozzy album covers! duh

==========
Artwork

The Black Sabbath album cover features a depiction of Mapledurham Watermill, situated on the River Thames in Oxfordshire, England. Standing in front of the watermill is a figure dressed in black.[19] The name of the woman pictured on the front cover is forgotten, though guitarist Iommi says that she once showed up backstage at a Black Sabbath show and introduced herself.[3] According to feelnumb.com, which featured an article on the album cover, "Not much is known about the eerie woman used in the photo other than she was a model/actress hired for the day and her name was Louise."[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath_(album)#Artwork
==========

The only Black Sabbath albums I've owned is Paranoid (War Pigs, Paranoid, Iron Man) and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (8-track grab bag). Early Rush appealed more to the weird but mostly quiet kid in me than straight Metal (Maiden and Priest), although I had some of that too. I have a good bit of Ozzy, though.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/08/18 08:47 PM

Wikipedia gets it wrong of course!
Her name was Carol, her flatmate's boyfriend who arranged the shoot was a photographer who had a studio on Oxford Street, and thought she would be ideal with her raven hair, dark eyes and pale complexion. She did it as a favour for no fee, not being a professional model. (She was a stewardess on the ill-fated Court Line) Not sure about the veracity of the location.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/09/18 03:31 AM

Thanks for straightening that out, BD-123. cheers

++++++++++

We lifted to Ozzy tonight, had a great workout! biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSfNvTVEALw

++++++++++

Other than Perry Mason and I Just Want You (first two tracks), I'm not feeling much love for Ozzmosis. EDIT: See You On The Other Side is ok.

But Blizzard of Ozz (including studio version of I Don't Know above), holy crap!

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/09/18 02:59 PM

Guess I'm not *that* much of an Ozzy/Sabbath fan as I'm not digging any deep cuts and sticking pretty much with the hits. These are my favorites so far (in alphabetical order)...

Bark At The Moon
Close My Eyes Forever
Crazy Train
Dreamer
Flying High Again
Goodbye To Romance
I Don't Know
I Just Want You
Mama, I'm Coming Home
Mr. Crowley
No More Tears
Perry Mason
See You On The Other Side
Shot In The Dark
Suicide Solution

w/Black Sabbath...

Iron Man
Paranoid
War Pigs

...and I bet that's the setlist I'd hear at a tribute show.

I do love how the Prince of Darkness also shows his softer side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCCiwPEdEpg
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/09/18 08:12 PM

Funny. I am not a huge Ozzy/Sabbath fan but I had both Paranoid and Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath on cassette when I was in high school.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/09/18 09:46 PM

Never been a fan of Ozzie at all. His image has been enough to turn me off him for eternity (The Osbournes horrible show didn't help).

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/10/18 04:14 PM

I never watched the Ozzy show, sometimes it's best not to know. smile

Like with George Michael, I have some mighty fine memories connected with one of his albums. And then 10 years later he makes the headlines. eek2 Bah. I try to ignore their personal lives.

++++++++++

IMO, there was an advantage to being an audiophile in the 70's and early 80's (before cable TV) when all you knew of your favorite musicians was what you saw on album artwork.

For example, this to me was pretty cool...

[Linked Image]

The other, not so much (darn 80's MTV era)... biggrin

Attached picture big.jpg
Attached picture Big_Money.JPG
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by BD-123
Wikipedia gets it wrong of course!
Her name was Carol, her flatmate's boyfriend who arranged the shoot was a photographer who had a studio on Oxford Street, and thought she would be ideal with her raven hair, dark eyes and pale complexion. She did it as a favour for no fee, not being a professional model. (She was a stewardess on the ill-fated Court Line) Not sure about the veracity of the location.

Cool piece of info BD smile

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 11:41 AM

Those lounge kimonos worn by Rush were just atrocious!

And it looks like during the 80's that Geddy Lee's hair was about half of his body weight.
Posted By: bones

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 01:43 PM

Not a big fan but I thought it was funny that my mom used to be like "Oh, that guy is a devil worshipper and he bites heads off of bats" etc etc.

Then one day she was working her side job in house cleaning for Holiday Inn. Ozzfest had playednearby, and Ozzy was staying in the room that my mom was assigned to clean. I dind't know this until my mom came home asking me if I knew someone named Ozzy who was a singer. I was like, yeah, why? "Well I was his house cleaner. He was so nice and he tipped me very well. He was so friendly and we had a great conversation with each other." I was like, "Wha...?" I then told her, "Mom, that is the giu that you complained about in the early 80s that he was a devil worshipper and bites the heads off of bats and all."

"No, really...?"

"Yes, that was him!"

"But he was so nice! He told me, 'I'm not the one you should be afraid of. That is the guy you need to be afraid of," and he pointed at Marilyn Manson (who opened for Ozzy that Ozzfest).

I was like, "What Marilyn Manson was there too?!?"

"Yes, he was very weird. I don't like that guy. But he gave me this to give to you." My mom then hands me 8-1/2 x 11 B&W glossy promo shots of Marilyn Manson.

I couldn't beleive it!

Also, I think it was cool that when we were in Carbondale IL last year for the eclipse that Ozzy played a special show 30 minutes away and timed it so that they played "Bark at the Moon" when totality occurred

at about 2:00:

at about 1:40:

v6,
boNes

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 01:49 PM

Wow bones. What an amazing and awesome story!!! smile

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 02:04 PM

LOL about Marylin Manson. There's a guy who went from being super-controversial and constantly talked about in the 90's to now being mostly forgotten.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
LOL about Marylin Manson. There's a guy who went from being super-controversial and constantly talked about in the 90's to now being mostly forgotten.

Ha, I thought it's not a good thing when Ozzy even says Marilyn is weird...!

v6,
boNes

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 03:00 PM

Another great bones' celebrity story (just indirect contact this time). cheers

++++++++++

Those lounge kimonos worn by Rush were just atrocious!

What 70's fashion *wasn't* atrocious? eek

Point is, all you got was a glimpse on an album cover, and sometimes not even that if the bulk of your music collection was on 8-track tape.

++++++++++

Marylin Manson I know by name only, watched a couple minutes on YouTube. A weird looking dude with tits. Nothing but noise to me. nope

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 03:13 PM

Manson’s cover of “Tainted Love” was pretty good but for the most part he was just a theatrical shock artist.

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG
Another great bones' celebrity story (just indirect contact this time). cheers

Haha! I just texted my mom that it was Ozzy's birthday and she said "What?!!The weirdo is only 70? No way!!! I'm 2 yrs older that's not right! mad

v6,
boNes

Re: Ozzie's Birthday - 12/11/18 04:04 PM

Manson’s cover of “Tainted Love” was pretty good but for the most part he was just a theatrical shock artist.

I was always under the impression that Marilyn Manson was the best cover band in the world because that's pretty much all they do.

v6,
boNes
© 2024 SimHQ Forums