Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/09/18 11:41 PM

It is tricksey it is my precious

http://simhqmotorsports.com/discord-chat/
Posted By: Marc

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by 462cid
It is tricksey it is my precious

http://simhqmotorsports.com/discord-chat/

From what I see It's a chat thing but not like a normal forum ?

Marc..
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 12:48 AM

Discord has many layers, and is all the rage.

It's not a favorite thing for me, because just like when you click that link above... it's a login wall. I can't read and preview what kind of community is behind that wall. And I'm not too interested in creating a pile of disposable logins just to see what's behind a bunch of walls.

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by adlabs6

It's not a favorite thing for me, because just like when you click that link above... it's a login wall. I can't read and preview what kind of community is behind that wall. And I'm not too interested in creating a pile of disposable logins just to see what's behind a bunch of walls.

I agree completely, not my cup of tea

Marc..
Posted By: jenrick

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 02:00 AM

Yep same reason I left. Also I have no desire to chat, I much prefer forums.

-Jenrick
Posted By: JimK

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by jenrick
Yep same reason I left. Also I have no desire to chat, I much prefer forums.

-Jenrick

Same here, long ago.
Posted By: Master

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 03:43 AM

The SimHQ motorsports forum is ded.

They do that have discord which I joined but it is mostly turned into a Racing Team forum where they have 2-3 (?) different racing teams that talk there. It's kind of an odd feeling being over there. Its nothing like what the old SHQM forum was. The forum was an open place to discuss various sims and etc. The new discord isnt really that anymore.

I didnt much care for the direction it went but Im not really part of their racing team so if it works for them more power to them. I'm on there though and chat with them.

There is an unofficial discord for this simhq as well.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4218572/discord-chat#Post4218572

We have a motorsports channel on there as well. It's open so you have access as soon as you join the channel. No need to be activated in order to read anything.

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 03:56 AM

We used to have great exchanges when it was a forum, rfactor was king then. So why the change of direction?

Marc..

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 06:23 AM

I cant speak for SHQM but from my perspective the past 2 years has seen very sharp drop off in traffic to the public sections of the forum. Towards the end it was 2-3 posts every month. I think there was several private sections of the forum that had heavier traffic (racing team private forums) but I didnt have access to that.

I think they felt there just wasnt enough traffic to justify paying for hosting on a forum especially when all the current traffic could be handled by a free chat program like discord. Their current discord seems to be well used but not excessively used. It is easy to read and well organized. The traffic on their discord is low enough that you can go 2-3 days and read everything and catch back up with 10 min.
Posted By: DaveP63

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/10/18 10:18 AM

I've pretty much given up on it as well. Discord isn't my thing.
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/11/18 01:08 AM

I think sim racing should return to the main SimHQ boards.
I do a lot of sim racing these days but I never got into going to a whole other site for motor-sports, and I just stuck with the boards here.
Unfortunately, since 75% of my simming is Assetto Corsa and rFactor these days, I dont have much to add to the gaming side of this forum since the split.
I never understood the rationale to split SimHQ into two separate sites.

I want a unified SimHQ again.

( I am being as polite as I can about this, my unvarnished feelings about the split are quite a bit stronger.)
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/11/18 02:39 AM

IMO that’s a great idea. If the other site is gone, then what would be the conflict?
Racing is arguably the most popular sim these days. It would make sense.

There is a post in Site Feedback on the subject.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4396154/motorsports-forums#Post4396154
Posted By: saghen

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/11/18 02:57 AM

It's unfortunate that nobody in management responded to the thread, even if only to say no. Oh well.

I guess there was no new motorsports section here, in order to not step on guod's toes, as he was also the former owner here.

The new site is mostly for the SimHQ race team anyway. I don't really like the Discord format and prefer something like this. Even if we can't get a motorsports exclusive sub forum, how about an "Other Sims" sub forum to shove the miscellaneous (including racing) into.

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/11/18 06:47 AM

Part of the agreement when the site was sold was that motorsports wouldnt stay here. I can see how it's a topic that isnt going to be touched on much. It would be nice to have a general motorsports forum here again though.
Posted By: Khai

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/11/18 06:52 AM

I made the mistake of thinking of going there to see about setting up my new(ish) steering wheel.. Glad I wasn't going blind and there is no actual forum... (discord is NOT a replacement for a forum. It's a communication system. You can't store information on it like "logitech wheels need a quick tweak........ Etc)
Posted By: Rask

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/11/18 11:47 AM

And I'm not too interested in creating a pile of disposable logins just to see what's behind a bunch of walls.

Just to clear something up. There is only 1 login for Discord and that's you user account. You can join as many discord servers with it as you like. There are no separate logins for each server.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/11/18 08:35 PM

I only got into racing sims last summer, sort of by accident. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much! But by then, the racing forums were removed, too bad.
Posted By: 462cid

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/11/18 09:48 PM

Flight simming has been hard for me the last 14-15 months- makes my right arm and hand and leg go numb. Recovering from a stroke from a damned hole in my heart.

But driving, conversely, is something I could do 5 days after the event. The only problem is that my sim racing love, Grand Prix Legends, sort of takes a while to re-learn and then the races are long. I used to challenge Amon and Surtees and Stewart; now i suspect Rodriguez and Siffert would show me their backsides quickly.
Posted By: Flappy613

Re: Simhq motorsport Forum ? - 05/16/18 06:56 AM

Agree completely.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums