homepage

Stephen Hawking was 76

Posted By: F4UDash4

Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 05:01 AM

Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

World renowned physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.

He died peacefully in his home in Cambridge in the early hours of Wednesday, his family said.

He was known for his work with black holes and relativity, and wrote several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.

"We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today," his children said.

At the age of 22 Stephen Hawking was given only a few years to live after being diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 05:17 AM

We've lost one of our most important humans.

Not sure there will be another like him for hundreds of years.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 05:19 AM

Huge loss for humanity, R.I.P.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 05:32 AM

A man who overcame insurmountable odds to become one of the great minds of this century. He will be sorely missed.

R.I.P.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 05:45 AM

Oh my frown

I wish him that he gets to know everything about the universe now. That's certainly what he would have liked.
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 06:02 AM

A tragedy beyond words. Sure, he was 76 and many don't get that far, but his life was worth many ordinary lives. His brilliance will be sorely missed. Somehow I always thought of him as a last-ditch back-stop for humanity. He could see things hidden from us.

RIP
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 08:01 AM

frown
Sad day for all of humanity, he had a remarkably long life having ALS, many don't last as long as he did.

My wife's oldest childhood friend was diagnosed with it last year and watching her deteriorate is heart breaking, she is 61, her birthday was yesterday, she has been told that she has a couple of years left at most. Her son being a doctor is searching for anything that can help and she is going on a gene therapy trial soon. Last week she took delivery of a motorised chair to help her get around as she cannot walk any more. My wife goes round every Thursday to help her. Her husband is a very keen cyclist and competes in road races all over Europe as does her son and he does very well at it too now they, the son and daughter have this hanging over their heads and are unsure whether to get tested for the condition or not as if it comes out positive then bang goes their future in a lot of ways, they both have children too, the youngest one is only two weeks old.
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 09:09 AM

3.14, leave it to him to die on Pi day. RIP.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 10:41 AM

RIP

It really is amazing how long he lived with ALS.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 11:02 AM

Hawking dead. Kardashian alive. What a world we live in frown
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 11:43 AM

We have lost a great thinker.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 11:53 AM

RIP
Posted By: the soupdragon

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 11:59 AM

A sad day for the Astro Physicist community and Mankind as a whole.

A great thinker indeed and a great sense of humour too.

RIP

SD
Posted By: piper

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by DaBBQ
3.14, leave it to him to die on Pi day. RIP.

It's also Albert Einstein's birthday.!

His book, A Brief History of Time, got a lot of folks including me interested in the cosmos.

RIP Prof Hawking
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 12:10 PM

One of the last Great Britons has gone.
Posted By: RossUK

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 12:47 PM

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_20180314_120627_269.jpg
Posted By: trindade

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 12:51 PM

R.I.P.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 02:04 PM

I think I first heard of him on Star Trek TNG, playing poker with Data and famous physicists. Classic scene.
The man clearly had a sense of humor.

Posted By: Dart

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/14/18 04:42 PM

Godspeed, sir.

We will miss your intellect, your wit, and the unique addition you gave to the local Christmas caroling group.

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/22/18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Alicatt
frown
Sad day for all of humanity, he had a remarkably long life having ALS, many don't last as long as he did.

My wife's oldest childhood friend was diagnosed with it last year and watching her deteriorate is heart breaking, she is 61, her birthday was yesterday, she has been told that she has a couple of years left at most. Her son being a doctor is searching for anything that can help and she is going on a gene therapy trial soon. Last week she took delivery of a motorised chair to help her get around as she cannot walk any more. My wife goes round every Thursday to help her. Her husband is a very keen cyclist and competes in road races all over Europe as does her son and he does very well at it too now they, the son and daughter have this hanging over their heads and are unsure whether to get tested for the condition or not as if it comes out positive then bang goes their future in a lot of ways, they both have children too, the youngest one is only two weeks old.

We got more news today.

My wife's friend's sister has it too and it is heredity, 8 children and 14 grandchildren have tested positive for it. The friend starts in the first round of gene therapy trials this summer and her sister who hasn't developed any symptoms yet starts in the second round of tests to see if it can be prevented.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/22/18 04:02 PM

Sorry to hear that Alicatt frown
Posted By: JimK

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/22/18 04:37 PM

My father died from ALS Lou Gherigs. He took an early retirement from the post office in 1990. Diagnosed with it in 1991. Lost use of his voice late 1992. Had to have a feeding
tube installed in 1992. Lost use of his gag reflex. Died May Day 1993. Dad was only 58. I am 56 now, and fear that day may be coming fast.

Was told by his doctors the gene that my father got it from is not in my side. Or so we hope. Just going to keep on living and try not worry about it.

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/22/18 05:19 PM

I wish you all the best there JimK, frown

My wife's friend is 61, we seen her getting worse over the past couple of years but nobody knew what was wrong until she got tested last year.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/22/18 05:27 PM

Same here JimK All the best going forward for you
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/22/18 06:15 PM

RIP. Admittedly, I mainly know of Stephen Hawking from his guest appearances on animated television shows like The Simpsons and Futurama.

I didn't know this until just now...

"...his synthesizer voice was recorded for the Pink Floyd song "Keep Talking."

Gotta pull out The Division Bell now.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/22/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG

"...his synthesizer voice was recorded for the Pink Floyd song "Keep Talking."

Gotta pull out The Division Bell now.

Yup, that's a great song and I've listened to it many times!
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Stephen Hawking was 76 - 03/22/18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by JimK
My father died from ALS Lou Gherigs. He took an early retirement from the post office in 1990. Diagnosed with it in 1991. Lost use of his voice late 1992. Had to have a feeding
tube installed in 1992. Lost use of his gag reflex. Died May Day 1993. Dad was only 58. I am 56 now, and fear that day may be coming fast.

Was told by his doctors the gene that my father got it from is not in my side. Or so we hope. Just going to keep on living and try not worry about it.

I think too much worrying can just make you sick. If it's any consolation...

My wife has outlived her father by almost 20 years (she's now 50, he died of a heart attack in his sleep at 32 [1970, she was 2]). The biggest differences, besides her heart disease (murmur from valve regurgitation) not being extreme enough to have non-clinical symptoms, is that he was a heavy smoker (she's never smoked) and the incredible technology we have today vs. the late 60's-early 70's. Also, we have a better understanding of managing cholesterol.

Her issue is almost certainly genetic and she's definitely her father's daughter (similar frame size, hair and facial features, same lazy left eye). But her inherited condition is not a death sentence, she manages it with lifestyle and regular cardiology checkups.

I still worry of course, every single morning I feel a small sense of relief (sometimes you gotta tickle a deep sleeper to get a response, then pretend like you didn't do it. smile )

I don't know if lifestyle improvements can help prevent ALS (some things are just going to happen anyway), for me it's being predisposed to HBP and diabetes, plus way too much cancer in my family.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums