homepage

A small nugget of aviation history

Posted By: oldgrognard

A small nugget of aviation history - 02/11/18 07:38 PM

Saw this and had no previous knowledge of the operational use of the B-32.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/b-32-waged-america-last-010900533.html
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: A small nugget of aviation history - 02/11/18 09:25 PM

I knew of the B-32, but not of this incident. Tragic.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: A small nugget of aviation history - 02/11/18 11:04 PM

News to me. Very interesting how the Japanese pulled the props off a/c to keep the pilots from flying.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: A small nugget of aviation history - 02/11/18 11:44 PM

Knew of this some years back.

German a/c had props removed and gashes in the rear fuselage. Not sure who did the gashing tho.
Posted By: Pooch

Re: A small nugget of aviation history - 02/12/18 01:17 AM

This is, actually, not a new story. I'm surprised that it's not more widely known. Saburo Sakai told about it in his autobiography, "Zero" written with Martin Caiden back in the sixties.
The B-32 was built just in case the B-29 didn't work out. They were having a lot of problems with the airplanes. So many were lost right here in the states that the B-29 training program got the name, "The Battle of Kansas."
Posted By: vocatx

Re: A small nugget of aviation history - 02/12/18 04:35 PM

I remember this from 'Zero', but read the article anyway. It was a tragic incident.

I love how the author had to get a dig in at the USAAF. Alcohol would indeed be a strategic material because it is used in the production of numerous other items. Sugar would be used to produce alcohol. I certainly wouldn't consider that an 'indiscriminate' raid.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: A small nugget of aviation history - 02/12/18 05:42 PM

I also read Sakai's book but I don't recall this incident being related in it, but it's probably been 30 years since I read the book.

Side note: there are some who say the Sakai / Martin Caiden book contains a lot of fiction that doesn't appear in Sakai's Japanese language autobio.
Posted By: Pooch

Re: A small nugget of aviation history - 02/12/18 06:50 PM

Yeah, I'm highly suspect of some of Caiden's books. His stuff reminds me of the old pulp fiction type of writing. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did do some stories for those old magazines. There's a lot of "The bullets slashed through metal as I dived with wind screaming past my cockpit..." type of prose. Fine with the pulp stuff, but not so much when writing "non-fiction." He did the same with Robert Johnson's "Thunderbolt." Both books were obviously not the words of either pilot.
Posted By: Fittop

Re: A small nugget of aviation history - 02/12/18 09:20 PM

Thanks for the information.
Had never known this bit of history, Thanks.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums