homepage

Another WW2 veteran gone

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 12:17 AM

Today went to the funeral of my father, 95, a RCAF WAG during WW2. He died peacefully in his sleep. Surprised how strong Mom was because us kids and grandkids weren't. salute Dad
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 12:31 AM

RIP to your father.

There aren't many like him left.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 12:39 AM

My condolences. He had a good long life.

There is nothing I can say to express the proper feelings of empathy and sympathy I have.

May God take him to eternal grace.
Posted By: Fuzzy

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 01:42 AM

My sympathy to you and your family KraziKanuk
There are not many left.

Fuzzy
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 02:16 AM

95 is a blessing but it’s always too soon regardless. I hope you and your family can find some peace.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 02:38 AM

Respect for your father, and grateful for his service to Canada.

S!
Posted By: WolfDancer

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 02:59 AM

My condolences and a salute to your father.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 03:40 AM

My condolences to you and your family and my unending thanks to your father.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 03:43 AM

Condolences to you and yours and many thanks to your father for the service he did for us all. God bless him
Posted By: Coot

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 03:52 AM

God bless your father and family KraziKanuk. Its so difficult when a family patriarch such as your Dad passes on and leaves his loved ones behind. To have such a rock present in so many lives for so long is a blessing beyond words but boy its hard when they are called away. I'm in agreement with what the others have already told you and that is honor and respect to your father for being a father and husband and for serving his country and that you and all of your family receive peace and whatever it is that each one of you needs during this time.
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 04:00 AM

Condolences to you and your family, and true respect for his years as a young lad serving his country !

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 10:38 AM

Thank you all very much for your kind words.

Coot, Dad was the last of his generation on his side of the family.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 11:32 AM

My condolences to you and my respects for your Dad he is part of the Greatest generation who stood tall and served May he rest in peace
Posted By: the soupdragon

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 11:35 AM

My condolances mate.

I lost my dad a few years ago. He was in the Navy during the war. Greatest generation indeed.

SD
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 11:43 AM

RIP to your father KK and my condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 01:03 PM

Condolences to you and your family, KK. It sounds like both of your parents are remarkable people.
Posted By: vocatx

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 04:45 PM

Really sorry to hear of this, KK. Be there for your mother; she may seem strong now, but she will need someone there for support down the road. My best wishes for you and your family.
Posted By: kaa

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/08/17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Today went to the funeral of my father, 95, a RCAF WAG during WW2. He died peacefully in his sleep. Surprised how strong Mom was because us kids and grandkids weren't. salute Dad

My condolences KraziKanuk to you and family. My dad is still there, 98,Italy and France, 1944.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/09/17 05:02 AM

My condolences KraziKanuK.
No matter how long they have lived it is always too soon when one loses a parent.

Wheels
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/09/17 01:48 PM

Condolences KK.
Did he leave a record of his war experiences? So many didn't which is a loss in itself.
My mother-in-law died on the 4th, aged 90. I have some recollections from her as a young girl evacuated after the heavy bombing of Portsmouth during the BoB.

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/09/17 03:08 PM

Of sorts BD as we have his log book. He did tell some stories supplemented by stories from relatives overseas tho these were not military related.

One of the stories he would tell was when he was stationed at 1 GRS Summerside PEI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1_GRS_BCATP). He was the RO in Ansons that were used to train navigators. They would fly from Summerside to Newfie to Gaspe and back to Summerside - long boring flights. To break the monotony the pilots would have the RO fly the a/c. The navigators loved this as the non pilot flying would fly better than the pilot on staying on course. Tho he never did, some pilots let the RO fly from take off to landing. This ended when an Anson piloted by the RO hit a sea gull and crashed on take off (no fatalities). The CO was not pleased with this practice as can be imagined.

Dad ended up in Coastal Command but was never assigned to an operational squadron. Training missions were flown in Wellingtons over the Irish Sea and the Celtic Sea. He was the tail gunner and would rotate the turret, open the doors to the turret for a better view for scanning the sea for U-boats.

kaa make every moment count with your father.

Thank you all again for your kind words.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/09/17 04:26 PM

I lost my father in 2002. US Navy veteran, WWII. Very healthy man and I always planned on sitting down with him and videoing him relating his experiences, but I never did before his death at 78 years old.

If any of you still have your WWII veteran father and you want to record his experiences etc. in any way don't wait any longer.
Posted By: kaa

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/11/17 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Of sorts BD as we have his log book. He did tell some stories supplemented by stories from relatives overseas tho these were not military related.

One of the stories he would tell was when he was stationed at 1 GRS Summerside PEI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1_GRS_BCATP). He was the RO in Ansons that were used to train navigators. They would fly from Summerside to Newfie to Gaspe and back to Summerside - long boring flights. To break the monotony the pilots would have the RO fly the a/c. The navigators loved this as the non pilot flying would fly better than the pilot on staying on course. Tho he never did, some pilots let the RO fly from take off to landing. This ended when an Anson piloted by the RO hit a sea gull and crashed on take off (no fatalities). The CO was not pleased with this practice as can be imagined.

Dad ended up in Coastal Command but was never assigned to an operational squadron. Training missions were flown in Wellingtons over the Irish Sea and the Celtic Sea. He was the tail gunner and would rotate the turret, open the doors to the turret for a better view for scanning the sea for U-boats.

kaa make every moment count with your father.

Thank you all again for your kind words.

Thank you KK, cheers.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Another WW2 veteran gone - 12/11/17 11:39 AM

Great post KK about your dad's wartime experiences. Thanks for sharing.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums