homepage

Natural Disasters

Posted By: Top Gun

Natural Disasters - 10/10/17 08:24 PM

CA Wildfires

I was floored last night when I saw the destruction in Napa Valley. They showed neighborhoods just burnt to the ground and the fires were moving so fast because of the 50 mph winds a FF said they weren't making any progress and at this point their main concern was to get people out of the area, they didn't even have time to fight the fires.

ire officials told Fox News there is zero percent containment on all fires. Some of the largest of the blazes burning were in Napa and Sonoma counties, home to dozens of wineries that attract tourists from around the world.

California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Chief Ken Pimlott said Tusday that 2,000 homes and businesses, in addition to other structures, have been destroyed. At least 4,000 personnel are helping to fight the wildfires.

Nine deaths are related to the Tubbs Fire in Santa Rosa County, while two have been killed by the Atlas Fire in neighboring Napa County, according to fire officials. Three deaths have also been reported in Mendocino County, and one in Yuba County, officials confirmed to Fox News.

[Linked Image]

after the 3 Hurricanes that hit the South, I'm not looking forward to what Winter can bring to the North East and Northern States...
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/10/17 08:50 PM

With the regularity of the fires, the severity, the damage, loss of life and property, the expense...I can't help but wonder if terrorists have found a quick and easy kind of attack.
Even if not, I hope that doesn't start on top of all of this.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/10/17 09:59 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 02:39 AM

Better to have the foil on the outside of a football helmet for maximum protection.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 03:17 AM

this could be the new norm - we'll see
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Haggart
this could be the new norm - we'll see

Right because we all know that natural disasters never occurred with any high frequency during the previous 4.5 billion years of the Earth.

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 12:44 PM

Could be chance, the perfect storm of natural factors creating long term trends, could be something else. Doesn't matter much, it does seem to be the world we live in, at least for now.

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 01:04 PM

I’d worry much more about the 7.6 billion plus (and rising) global population than the occasional hurricane or forest fire.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 01:06 PM

It is a warning from God for people to smarten up and stop all their silly nonsense stuff.

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
It is a warning from God for people to smarten up and stop all their silly nonsense stuff.
I prefer the alien invasion angle myself. I’m still waiting for the visit from Klaatu and Gort.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 01:12 PM

........ or it could be us helping to create more perfect storms ..... but not enough data yet to begin to make good comparisons ....give it another 50 yrs. However we do know sea levels are rising rapidly.

[Linked Image]

"The most frequently-used range of estimates puts the likely range between 15-25cm (6-10in) above 1992 levels by 2030, and 79-155cm (31-61in) by 2100. With tides higher than they have been in decades – and far higher than when this swampy, tropical corner of the US began to be drained and built on a century ago – many of south Florida’s drainage systems and seawalls are no longer enough. That means not only more flooding, but challenges for the infrastructure that residents depend on every day, from septic tanks to wells. “The consequences of sea level rise are going to occur way before the high tide reaches your doorstep,” says William Sweet, an oceanographer at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)"

[Linked Image]
billions in property at stake

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170403-miamis-fight-against-sea-level-rise

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/11/17 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I’d worry much more about the 7.6 billion plus (and rising) global population than the occasional hurricane or forest fire.

You don't have to choose, plenty of stressful subjects to worry about all at once!
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Natural Disasters - 10/12/17 09:44 PM

I doubt that, but it wouldn't be the first time somebody tried using forest fires as a weapon against the US.

See the Japanese balloon bombs or fire balloons: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...mb-wwii-japanese-air-current-jet-stream/
© 2024 SimHQ Forums