homepage

The Dark Knight - Commissioner Gordons sense of direction is no good

Posted By: Ajay

The Dark Knight - Commissioner Gordons sense of direction is no good - 08/13/17 12:11 AM

My daughter has recently gotten into Batman and we have watched all of the movies again, BvS (Battflek) is her favourite Batman followed by Bale. We have now got to the point where we are nitpicking them and having plenty of fun doing so. After google mapping a heap of the film locations we put this together as we noticed the train bridge that runs through Chigaco (Gotham) in many shots including when Gordon is in central Gotham at the same time the Joker is at the hospital. We decided to see where it lined up when Gordon called out 'Southeast' when the Gotham Hospital blew up. Unfortunately Gordons hearing needs some fine tuning biggrin

PICS HERE
Posted By: bones

Re: The Dark Knight - Commissioner Gordons sense of direction is no good - 08/13/17 01:25 AM

Well, that's assuming of course, that Chicago is laid out exactly as the fictional Gotham is. That would be like Cersei calling John Snow the King of the North when she should really be saying King of the NorthWest.

It's funny that you were watching The Dark Knight last night as so was I. Being that I live in Chicago, I enjoy seeing the different film locations in the movie and knowing where they are in real life. Every year I run down the street that Batman and Joker battled one on one before Gordon got the jump on the Joker when I do the annual Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8K--it's where town hall is located and at the south end of the street (LaSalle Dr) is the CHicago Board of Trade Building. The status on the top of it had an unfinished face because when it was built in the early 20th centruy, no other building was high enough to see the detail of the face, haha. You can also see it clearly in "The Untouchables" and "Road to Perdition." The underground chase is Lower Wacker Drive which I use frequently to cheat traffic going to our night club. During breaks in filming Heath Ledger was sighted at our nightclub, using it to stay in character--and he did, he even weirded our clientele and we're a gothic/industrial club. The exterior of the opening bank scene is our old post office where a part of it acts as a viaduct that the Eisenhower (I-290) runs under. The license plates on the car are modeled after our Illinois license plates (up unti this year when we changed to a newer stupider looking one). The font and color scheme is the same but it says "Gotham" instead of "Illinois" and Lincoln's bust is replaced with the Gotham coat of arms. A friend of mine was an extra in the movie--you can see him in the first quarter of the movie loading money bags onto a truck to stash it away per the Hong Kong exec's instructions--for a split second. If you pause it just right, you can clearly see his face. He said it took hours to film that scene which only lasted 1 or 2 seconds. He had to pick up the money bag and put it on the truck over and over and over and over and take after take after take after take...you get the idea. There are red newspaper boxes in various scenes with a big red sphere on top. These are newspaper dispensers for the Red Eye, a local Chicago free publication.

I really enjoy watching that movie.

v6,
boNes
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: The Dark Knight - Commissioner Gordons sense of direction is no good - 08/13/17 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay
My daughter has recently gotten into Batman and we have watched all of the movies again, BvS (Battflek) is her favourite Batman followed by Bale. We have now got to the point where we are nitpicking them and having plenty of fun doing so. After google mapping a heap of the film locations we put this together as we noticed the train bridge that runs through Chigaco (Gotham) in many shots including when Gordon is in central Gotham at the same time the Joker is at the hospital. We decided to see where it lined up when Gordon called out 'Southeast' when the Gotham Hospital blew up. Unfortunately Gordons hearing needs some fine tuning biggrin

PICS HERE

Well spent Dad-daughter time!
Posted By: Ajay

Re: The Dark Knight - Commissioner Gordons sense of direction is no good - 08/13/17 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by bones
Well, that's assuming of course, that Chicago is laid out exactly as the fictional Gotham is. That would be like Cersei calling John Snow the King of the North when she should really be saying King of the NorthWest.

It's funny that you were watching The Dark Knight last night as so was I. Being that I live in Chicago, I enjoy seeing the different film locations in the movie and knowing where they are in real life. Every year I run down the street that Batman and Joker battled one on one before Gordon got the jump on the Joker when I do the annual Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8K--it's where town hall is located and at the south end of the street (LaSalle Dr) is the CHicago Board of Trade Building. The status on the top of it had an unfinished face because when it was built in the early 20th centruy, no other building was high enough to see the detail of the face, haha. You can also see it clearly in "The Untouchables" and "Road to Perdition." The underground chase is Lower Wacker Drive which I use frequently to cheat traffic going to our night club. During breaks in filming Heath Ledger was sighted at our nightclub, using it to stay in character--and he did, he even weirded our clientele and we're a gothic/industrial club. The exterior of the opening bank scene is our old post office where a part of it acts as a viaduct that the Eisenhower (I-290) runs under. The license plates on the car are modeled after our Illinois license plates (up unti this year when we changed to a newer stupider looking one). The font and color scheme is the same but it says "Gotham" instead of "Illinois" and Lincoln's bust is replaced with the Gotham coat of arms. A friend of mine was an extra in the movie--you can see him in the first quarter of the movie loading money bags onto a truck to stash it away per the Hong Kong exec's instructions--for a split second. If you pause it just right, you can clearly see his face. He said it took hours to film that scene which only lasted 1 or 2 seconds. He had to pick up the money bag and put it on the truck over and over and over and over and take after take after take after take...you get the idea. There are red newspaper boxes in various scenes with a big red sphere on top. These are newspaper dispensers for the Red Eye, a local Chicago free publication.

I really enjoy watching that movie.

v6,
boNes

Ha cool! Does he have himself framed? We spent quite a bit of time checking out locations like the chase bank that popped and names on diners and such. Being able to do this from your own lounge room is definitely a sweet thing. We realise of course Gotham could be laid out however but it was fun doing our little bit 'fact' checking smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums