homepage

They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans

Posted By: oldgrognard

They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/09/17 12:58 PM

I wish them great success. Looks like the big hurdle is getting the funds. Unique and wonderful airplane.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...uito-plans-will-allow-wooden-wonder-fly/
Posted By: jack72

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/09/17 05:16 PM

I hear some German are working on building the flyswatter.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/09/17 05:40 PM

This will be tough,they estimate £7 million to do it. After what happened to XH558 people may be wary. Of course I really hope they can pull this off,it would be a very welcome edition to our WW2 warbirds here in the UK.
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/09/17 08:34 PM

Where's the cost? A couple of merlins and some plywood....

I understand the fusilage parts were built in woodworking shops up and down the country and transported for assembly. All pretty low tech.

I reckon the real cost is actually in the tooling and jigs. Once the first one is ready the next will be easy. Then there's the paperwork of course.

At least there won't be the complication of four olympus engines to maintain.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/09/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by jack72
I hear some German are working on building the flyswatter.

You must be referring to the unangenehmfliegendInsektniederschießenMaschine
Posted By: Dart

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/09/17 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vitesse

I understand the fusilage parts were built in woodworking shops up and down the country and transported for assembly. All pretty low tech.

I reckon the real cost is actually in the tooling and jigs. Once the first one is ready the next will be easy. Then there's the paperwork of course.

Oh you have no idea what "from plans" means. To do it right, there's going to be a crapton of fabrication of fittings and fiddly bits of metal. Heck, sourcing the right mild steel for that stuff can be a real PITA. They may end up winding their own wires.

The replica folks I talk to that build from original plans are absolute nutters in getting it exact, and it takes a huge amount of man hours to build one.

The only problem is that when they are done it will be better than factory built.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/10/17 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Vitesse

A male concrete form was used to construct the fuselage.

Mosquito construction at Downsview, http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms...h&ex=00000430&hs=0&rd=109122
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/13/17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
This will be tough,they estimate £7 million to do it. After what happened to XH558 people may be wary. Of course I really hope they can pull this off,it would be a very welcome edition to our WW2 warbirds here in the UK.

I would think the costs of maintaining and flying a Mosquito would be negligible compared to the Vulcan.

Wheels
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/19/17 11:39 PM

Great stuff...my favourite WW2 Aircraft
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: They are going to build a Mosquito from original plans - 08/20/17 08:31 AM

I hope this does get into the air, it's been a long time since I seen a Mosquito in the air at an airshow.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums