homepage

Scams

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Scams - 05/18/17 03:42 PM

Just got a call from Revenue Canada saying I filled a fraudulent income tax.

I didn't know RC, tho it has called itself that since 1999, had an office in area code 303 (Denver). The number I was suppose to call began with 303.

Nice try bimbo.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 04:01 PM

Did the caller have a thick Indian accent?
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 04:03 PM

I wouldn't want to guess how many numbers are on the block call list on my cell phone. My favorites are still the emails from banks, that I don't use, telling me that there is a problem with my account. I get more email from those people than I do from the banks that I do use.

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
I wouldn't want to guess how many numbers are on the block call list on my cell phone.

Same here. I have a laundry list of blocked numbers for those pre-recorded scam calls trying to get me to sign up for Obamacare or trying to get me to refinance my mortgage.

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Did the caller have a thick Indian accent?

No, very understandable English.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 05:55 PM

I got one from time to time and it shows New Concord on my caller ID..This town ain't that big to figure out it isn't here And yes some kind of accent..Only picked it up once..Now I do my usual hit green to answer red to hang up right after
Posted By: Dart

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 06:11 PM

I tell IRS scammers that I work for the IRS as an investigator and that the phone conversation is now being recorded, and anything they say will be used against them in both the investigation and the court proceedings that will follow.

Somehow they seem to lose connection at that point.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 06:14 PM

Hanging up the phone in the middle of their pitch is a hobby of mine. Then wondering how long they kept talking before they realised there was no one listening to them anymore. Brings me joy.

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 06:17 PM

I haven't had a landline for several years now so the only unsolicited calls I get on my cellphone are those automated pre-recorded calls.
Posted By: AndyB

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 07:14 PM

I'm one of a four man team of computer technicians in a local college. A while ago, one of my colleagues got an external call from someone claiming to be from "Microsoft support" and they could see that his computer was infected. They could clear the infection for him for a small fee.

He played along, asking for their name, the company and how he would go about paying.

Finally, he asked if they knew who they had called ?

He then told them he was a fraud officer with Strathclyde Police and they had called their office, and that the call was being tracked. Would they please hold the line ........

We've never had another one - wonder why ?

Andy
Posted By: jack72

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 08:08 PM

Well I hope to have about $300 million dollars forwarded to me from a Nigerian prince that needed some cash to solve his tax problem.
After sending him the money, I told him to deposit the money into my offshore bank account so that the feds can't ding me for taxes.

See it always pays to stay one step ahead of the taxman.....
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by AndyB
I'm one of a four man team of computer technicians in a local college. A while ago, one of my colleagues got an external call from someone claiming to be from "Microsoft support" and they could see that his computer was infected. They could clear the infection for him for a small fee.

I have had just two of those calls in the past. In both cases I told them that they must be mistaken because my computer is running Linux and even if hey were correct they probably are not qualified to help. biggrin
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Scams - 05/18/17 08:28 PM

I tried that once Cichlidfan and they put me on to their 'Linux expert'. Whether he was or not I didn't give him chance to continue.

Here in the UK I only really get 3 types of scam call.The 'Microsoft scam' plus the PPI and accident claim ones. One thing I learnt ages ago is not to try to reason with them so I always get my insults in first biggrin

They don't like being called 'rascals' or Maadher chod for that matter neaner

Re: Scams - 05/19/17 12:32 PM

"Maadher chod"? Is that a Dutch term?
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Scams - 05/19/17 01:53 PM

It's Hindi for M***** F***** biggrin

The thing is,they have no problem calling you names if you try to reason with them. I had one call me straight back after a rather heated conversation we had and he gave me a right mouth full. To me they are fair game for abuse.

Re: Scams - 05/19/17 03:30 PM

Got another call today. This time from 305 area code. Panzer was that you? wink

Re: Scams - 05/19/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Got another call today. This time from 305 area code. Panzer was that you? wink

Nah, not me. Crank calling is passe'. It's so 1990's!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums