homepage

Skeletal F-14s and F-4

Posted By: Fungezap

Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/18/17 10:22 AM

In case you're like me and thought the only remnants of F-14s were in Iran, a few in the boneyard, and some in museums, this odd find may interest you..

Posted By: the soupdragon

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/18/17 12:25 PM

how odd!
Got to wonder how they ended up there

SD
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/18/17 12:57 PM

so cool, would love to be there
Posted By: Coot

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/18/17 02:00 PM

Very cool. It would be interesting if they are able to figure out where they came from and what their history was.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/18/17 10:22 PM

Very cool and also very sad frown
Posted By: bones

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/18/17 11:00 PM

Too bad there are no BuNos visible...maybe some of the parts will have them. Then you can trace it back to what aircraft it was.

How they got there and have trees growing through them is pretty interesting. I would almost imagine the F-14s and F-4 collided and went down over there, it's such a random place. But there is no burn evidence plus all the instruments and control panels have been removed. Really weird. Anyone know where this is?

v6,
boNes
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/19/17 05:06 AM

Interesting, so many questions unanswered ! Thx for the link.

Found this one last week, smack in the middle of downtown Seoul biggrin

hmmm.... how to embed frigging pics the old way ?

Cheers,
Slug

Attached picture KOR2.jpg
Posted By: Tazz

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/19/17 05:18 AM

I should go over to Korea before last E models bow out... if I haven't missed them already. Pity they already got rid of the D models.

Luckily I managed to catch the last QF-4Es before they were withdrawn in December last year. Unfortunately they will not end up in any museum but they are now all ground targets at White Sands....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: vocatx

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/19/17 05:46 AM

Wow. That's only a couple of hours drive from me. Tempting....

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/20/17 05:21 PM

Come to think of it, this thread reminds me of a time when I was at Area 51 in 2000. I had heard rumor that there was an F-4 that had crashed in the mountainside just north of Rachel NV near Area 51. No one seemed to know what happened to cause the crash but the weird part was that the USAF did not do a recovery of it, they just left the wreckage their. There weren't any reports as to what happened or what happened to the aircrew that I or anyone else know of or could find. It was just abandoned. So, I went to the approximate location of the crash and drove up as high as I could, then had to hike the rest of the way. I found it and alot of it was still fairly intact. It was in 2 locations primarily, one about 50 yards from the other. It looked almost as if it had split in half on impact and the other half got thrown to its resting place 50 yards away. Someone had been there as things like the instrument panels and the ejection seats were missing. I don't have a good feeling about the aircrew though. While rummaging around the site, I found the remains of a HGU-33P chin strap, with a piece of the fiberglass of the helmet still attached. I also found one flight suit 1LT bar. I couldn't believe this stuff was still there. I also found the sole of a flight boot that was melted. The site itself was eerie, the personal effects made it simultaneously creepier and sad.

I wish I knew who the aircrew was and where there family is so that they can be contacted to let them know that there are some personal effects up there. But, I guess sometimes, like in the case of the F-14s and F-4 in this thread, <shrug> they just abandon them.

v6,
boNes
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/21/17 04:31 AM

Looks like they were scrapped and then dumped. The Tomcats have every screwable panel removed, and every instrument has been removed. Odd to see the F-4 still has the throttle quadrant...I'd give some money to have that! wink
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/21/17 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by bones
Come to think of it, this thread reminds me of a time when I was at Area 51 in 2000. I had heard rumor that there was an F-4 that had crashed in the mountainside just north of Rachel NV near Area 51. No one seemed to know what happened to cause the crash but the weird part was that the USAF did not do a recovery of it, they just left the wreckage their. There weren't any reports as to what happened or what happened to the aircrew that I or anyone else know of or could find. It was just abandoned. So, I went to the approximate location of the crash and drove up as high as I could, then had to hike the rest of the way. I found it and alot of it was still fairly intact. It was in 2 locations primarily, one about 50 yards from the other. It looked almost as if it had split in half on impact and the other half got thrown to its resting place 50 yards away. Someone had been there as things like the instrument panels and the ejection seats were missing. I don't have a good feeling about the aircrew though. While rummaging around the site, I found the remains of a HGU-33P chin strap, with a piece of the fiberglass of the helmet still attached. I also found one flight suit 1LT bar. I couldn't believe this stuff was still there. I also found the sole of a flight boot that was melted. The site itself was eerie, the personal effects made it simultaneously creepier and sad.

I wish I knew who the aircrew was and where there family is so that they can be contacted to let them know that there are some personal effects up there. But, I guess sometimes, like in the case of the F-14s and F-4 in this thread, <shrug> they just abandon them.

v6,
boNes

This plane? F-4D crash site

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/22/17 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by DaBBQ

This plane? F-4D crash site

Thanks, for a moment there I thought you had a lead. But this article mentioned that it was in San Bernardino County, CA. I was in Lincoln County, NV.

Interesting though!

v6,
boNes

Re: Skeletal F-14s and F-4 - 05/22/17 03:01 AM

I think I actually have identified the pilots and even the serial number of the aircraft. I guess since 2000 there has been an exponential amount of additional information that has made it onto the web since then. Now if there is a way to contact next of kin...

v6,
boNes
© 2024 SimHQ Forums