homepage

The Witcher coming to Netflix

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 12:30 PM

This could be great as long as they get the right cast and crew involved. I WILL be checking this out.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-witcher-saga-coming-to-netflix-as-tv-series-1202430136
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 12:35 PM

Hmm, might be a reason to get a netflix account
Posted By: DM

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 12:52 PM

Timed to fill the gap left behind with the final season of GoT? smile

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 12:54 PM

Who would you cast as Geralt of Rivia?

My first pick would be Sean Bean.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 12:58 PM

I would hope they find some entirely unknown actor smile Less predictable

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie

I'm ok with the supporting cast being unknowns but your lead role should really be filled by someone who is well known and will be an audience draw.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 01:12 PM

Hopefully you are not expecting the same experience as in the game. Although the quests in the games parallel the stories in the books a bit,there are quite significant differences, and the characters in the books are really different. Geralt is still close to what he is in the games, but he is VERY cocky and comes out as a petulant braggart. In the game you don't get why people don't like him so much. In the books you tend to agree with everyone on how unlikable he is. Still he saves them, and is "the hero", so he gets away with it.
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 01:13 PM

Sean Bean would be great but . . . . Geralt does not die smile

Mads Mikkelsen might be good also

[Linked Image]

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 01:16 PM

Yeah, Mikkelsen would be very good as well. He has a lot of screen presence.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by No105_Archie

I'm ok with the supporting cast being unknowns but your lead role should really be filled by someone who is well known and will be an audience draw.

Why?

It'd be a series which sells itself on name recoknition of the brand alone.

How many series do you watch purely due to who is in it?

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog

There's been a few but admittedly not that many.

This is Marketing 101. As a general rule, you want to have at least one well known actor in your new show/movie in order to attract your initial audience. People will either stay with the show or dump it if they don't like it anyway but you want to have at least some name recognition with the cast in order to bring in the initial crowd. There are certain actors who have proven themselves to be a draw regardless of what type of film or show they are in.
Posted By: Dart

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 01:44 PM

I think it would probably be better on Cinemax. At night.

Bow-chicka-wow-wow.

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dart
I think it would probably be better on Cinemax. At night.

Bow-chicka-wow-wow.

I really hope Netflix stays true to the franchise. The sex and violence needs to be on par with that of GOT.
Posted By: Recluse

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 02:17 PM

I have high hopes because its NETFLIX. If it were HOLLYWOOD, they would cast Tom Cruise because that was SUCH A GREAT DECISION for the Jack Reacher movies... cuss
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 03:09 PM

So...

Eva Green for Yennefer?

[Linked Image]

Anson Mount for Geralt...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 03:44 PM

+1 for Eva.

Her for Triss (with a bit more red...) ?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 03:50 PM

Manu Bennett.
Plenty of sword and action experience from Spartacus, Arrow and Shannara, has a fan following and a good actor.

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 03:55 PM

Im not familiar with Anson Mount but he definitely has the right look to play Geralt.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 03:57 PM

Maybe Jason Isaacs, he's already got the wig from Harry Potter. LOL
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 08:05 PM

Im not familiar with Anson Mount but he definitely has the right look to play Geralt.

He stars in the AMC series Hell on Wheels

Posted By: Master

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/17/17 08:32 PM

Man, how is that series still going. It jumped the shark so badly at season 2 that I stopped watching it. Does it get better?

I'd also watch a Sean Bean of Rivia. He'd have to get back in shape though. Also he'd have the opening sequence down to an art (you know with Geralt dying and all).
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/18/17 12:11 AM

Whew, I thought they're bringing back the Polish version from 2002 with the rubber monsters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture comment_hsozw7LrJEtKNPIzciJx0DJMwRbMHeIy.jpg
Attached picture img_1338673588.jpg
Posted By: Coot

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/18/17 02:47 AM

Wow I was hoping someone would do something like this. Netfilx has a few productions I like so hopefully they'll do a good job. I agree, I'd rather see some new, unknowns play the parts. There's a lot of talented people that do not get enough credit or work yet in many cases outshine the top paid, go to famous actors. I've not read the books so RScolonel I'm not sure I could handle watching the show with that kind of Geralt lol. I like the "man of few words" style Geralt in the games. Either way if its all done well I think I'll enjoy it. I hope it also takes on what I'm guessing is a grittier world in the books. The games have their gritty moments but right now playing Blood and Wine with so much color and stylish fun and wine loving people I almost forget how far away that is from the darker moments of Wild Hunt but especially in Witcher 1. Witcher 1 does a really great job of creating a darker, unfriendly medieval atmosphere.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/18/17 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog

There's been a few but admittedly not that many.

This is Marketing 101. As a general rule, you want to have at least one well known actor in your new show/movie in order to attract your initial audience. People will either stay with the show or dump it if they don't like it anyway but you want to have at least some name recognition with the cast in order to bring in the initial crowd. There are certain actors who have proven themselves to be a draw regardless of what type of film or show they are in.

Honestly, I think that is anicent and outdated marketing for TV shows, Espesially streaming services like Netflix.
Social buzz and word of mouth is the new marketing trends.

A Game of Thrones would have been just as huge without Sean Bean in the first season. And it's grown from season to season after beheading him. Shows like Vikings, Big Bang Theory, Grimm, Lucifer have been getting renewals without big stars (granted, Grimm was cancelled after 5 seasons, but that is an eternity in today's TV world).
Posted By: Coot

Re: The Witcher coming to Netflix - 05/19/17 01:52 PM

I just started Vikings and its pretty good so far. I'm on season two now.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums