Gotta love the Japanese.

Posted By: RedToo

Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/24/15 07:15 PM

It's hypnotic:

http://www.flixxy.com/precision-walking-in-japan.htm

RedToo.
Posted By: arthur666

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/24/15 07:20 PM

Impressive. F-ing weird, but impressive.
Posted By: CG2015

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/24/15 07:34 PM

Strange: it says 12 min long but it stops like a few minutes in.

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/24/15 07:47 PM

Yeah, it did that for me but clicking on the timeline bar restarted it.

RedToo.

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/24/15 07:50 PM

I did that too to restart it.

Toward the end they were shown crying.

Why?

Because they didn't make the squad?

There are worse things to be crying about.

The Japanese are weird when it comes to work and dedication, etc etc Almost to the point of OCD!

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/24/15 07:51 PM

Some kind of emotional release after the stress of precision walking?

RedToo.
Posted By: Peally

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/24/15 08:05 PM

What the french toast...
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/24/15 11:41 PM

Quote:
We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile
Posted By: RuhRoh

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 12:13 AM

This is what happens when you start with a culture based on glorious military tradition and take their guns away.

Pretty impressive though, particularly the reverse inter meshed passes.
Posted By: PV1

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 07:43 AM

Rather reminds me of the fine old tradition of the
Great Briefcase Drill Teams

The Synchronized Briefcase Drill Team 1979

I particularly liked the one I remember in San Francisco
(1983) that performed precision manoeuvres to Jackson Browne's
Lawyers in Love. I didn't realize at the time they'd been
used in the tune's video (sorry, can't embed with the
time offset):

LINK
Posted By: the soupdragon

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 08:02 AM

Isn't this called marching? Most military's have been doing it for a while smile

SD
Posted By: PV1

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 09:08 AM

I don't recall ever seeing a military group marching
backwards perpendicularly through another group doing
the same.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 10:31 AM

Imagine how life at the factory must be...
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 10:35 AM

So what's the deal with the Miami Vice style pink jackets?
Posted By: TerribleTwo

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 11:28 AM

So there is life after marching band...
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 12:01 PM

Re: japanese walking : cool in an odd sort of way. I'm more impressed by military drill teams or marching bands who do the same sort of stuff while manipulating a rifle or playing an instrument.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 01:40 PM

....and without commands Archie; am I right?
Posted By: Ltfransky

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: the soupdragon
Isn't this called marching? Most military's have been doing it for a while smile

SD

Exactly. You see the same thing at any military tattoo
Posted By: Peally

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 01:45 PM

Marching bands generally do not give commands, and on top of it they're also displaying mastery of a handy life skill. While I'm sure this took plenty of work and practice it's solidly in the "Japanese people are bizarre" file wink
Posted By: nadal

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 02:00 PM

IIRC, it's a famous marching club that belongs to the sports university.

AFAIK, the most famous and difficult part of this march is 1:11-1:19 where you have to walk into crowd at almost full speed, swinging arms without colliding each other with considerably tight formation.

They trained really really hard to make that whole marching happen, thus the crying after the show.
Posted By: Timothy

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 03:26 PM

That is DnC. Heck, my unit can't do any of that. We have to get a class for Change of Command to remind us. My buddy Soto's unit does DnC once a month for a day.

I'm extremely impressed at how crazy good they are.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 04:12 PM

I am impressed. I would not want to have to walk backward and intersect/interleave the paths of 20 other people doing the same.

Seems in the same realm as marching bands and synchronized swimming.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 04:13 PM

Impressive, but bands do it while playing music all the time. Certainly some better than others, but coordinating not only movement, but music and color guard.
That's a dry run for a marching band, kind of a relief to do the show without instruments.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 05:13 PM

Ever seen the Marine Silent Drill Team ? The whole thing is silent while throwing around rifles with bayonets.

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Ever seen the Marine Silent Drill Team ? The whole thing is silent while throwing around rifles with bayonets.

This?

Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 06:07 PM

Yup...the USMC Silent Drill Team is quite impressive.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: No105_Archie
Re: japanese walking : cool in an odd sort of way. I'm more impressed by military drill teams or marching bands who do the same sort of stuff while manipulating a rifle or playing an instrument.

When I was stationed at Ft Bragg, NC, from 87-89, the 82d Airborne Division band ran PT with their instruments every Friday. They'd doubletime for a while, come to a quick time, start playing, then go back to doubletiming.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Timothy
That is DnC. Heck, my unit can't do any of that. We have to get a class for Change of Command to remind us. My buddy Soto's unit does DnC once a month for a day.

I'm extremely impressed at how crazy good they are.

At one of my units we did an hour of D&C for PT one day per week. Marching for any length of time is fairly physically demanding if you're doing the correct 30-inch step @ 120 steps/minute (300 feet per minute/18,000 feet per hour, or about 3.5mph.) We ALWAYS had to practice for a couple days prior to any of the bigger change of command ceremonies, because left turns & right turns just weren't things you normally did in day-to-day military life. The troops on the outside of an 8-column formation really had to step it out in order to keep the lines straight.

I remember during basic training, we were maybe in week 2 and everyone had finally learned to stay in step and march from the waist down, so we were being taught stuff beyond the normal "column left, MARCH", "column right, MARCH", "half step, MARCH", etc. Our drill sergeant had spent most of the morning teaching us "rear, MARCH", in which the preparatory command ("rear") is given when the right foot strikes the ground, and the command of execution ("MARCH") is given the next time the right foot strikes the ground. The left foot takes an additional step now, becoming the leading foot, and the soldier pivots 180 degrees to the right when the left foot lands. The left foot is now the trail foot and immediately takes a step, the maneuver having taken 1/2 second when done right (120 steps per minute.)

Anyway, the company 1st sergeant came by to check on our training, and our drill sergeant told him what he'd been teaching us. "Platoon, attenTION!" he bellowed. "Right, FACE! Forward, MARCH! 1st squad to the rear, MARCH! 2nd squad to the rear, MARCH! 3rd squad...!" Well, we F'd it ALL up BADLY, and were smoked to a truly epic extent as a result. One of the worst things you can do in the military is to make an NCO look bad to his boss, and we'd done just that.
Posted By: Timothy

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: CG2015

This?

Wow, that is crazy amazing. Looks like they are all privates too. I'm seriously impressed.

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Timothy
Originally Posted By: CG2015

This?

Wow, that is crazy amazing. Looks like they are all privates too. I'm seriously impressed.

There are others I found just on YouTube just using the keywords Silent Drill

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=silent+drill+team+marine+corps+2014
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 10:39 PM

Excellent on that silent drill.

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/25/15 10:59 PM

That truly was so awesome!

What is that they say?

Never underestimate a 19 years old Pee Off Marine and his rifle?
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Gotta love the Japanese. - 03/26/15 12:46 PM

On the flip side, the Dentist Drill Team is quite chilling to see AND hear.

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums