homepage

Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark

Posted By: Sethos88

Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 03:38 PM

Figured someone out there had some love and respect for the restored 109s flying around. Apparently a 109 which was recently at a Danish airshow in Roskilde had some engine problems and did an emergency belly landing outside the Roskilde airport. Really is a shame with these old planes

Taken from the Danish newspaper, Ekstrabladet. Google translation of the article;

Quote:
A plane has crashed outside the airport at Roskilde.

- We are heading there now. We've got a report that there was one passenger in the plane, a German man born in 1962, and that person is not seriously injured, says the head of security at Mid and West Zealand Police Claus Hald Simonsen to Ekstra Bladet.

- In an airshow at Roskilde Airshow plane had been engine problems, so the pilot decided to make an emergency landing on nearby field. The crash landing was carried out by the pilot pulled the landing gear up and made a belly landing, writes Mid and West Zealand Police in a press release.

I just thought, OH NO!
An eyewitness told the Ekstra Bladet that the plane must be a German model, which was used during the second World War. A Messerschmitt 109

- The pilot flying first on the head, so he doing some heavy right and left turns. And so I do not know what is happening, but it sounds as if the engine goes out, and when he is flying at very low altitude, so goes the plane quickly to the ground, says Pedersen to Ekstra Bladet.

- I just thought, oh no! It is perhaps the last time I see a plane of its kind in the air. They are very rare, says flyentusiasten and continues:

- Next, I thought of course the pilot. I certainly hope not, that something has happened.

Was used by the Luftwaffe
The pilot who flew the old aircraft was supposedly a very experienced master. After the crash, it was announced at the air show that he has 15,000 flying hours behind him, says Jan Pedersen.

The aircraft was manufactured in 1930 and onwards. It was used by the Luftwaffe during the second World War.

It is estimated that produced about 40,000 copies.

And it is precisely this model that crashed hurts in the heart of flyentusiast Jan Pedersen.

Dogs Expensive veteran
- I just think that there are about ten pieces back around the world that can actually fly, he says.

According to Jan Pedersen costs a Messerschmitt aircraft in this condition at least tens of millions.

On the plane's website, one can read that the plane has been in service from 1958 to 1965.

After the plane was 'retired' it has been used in the film 'Battle of Britain' in 1969, which had Michael Caine in one of the lead roles.

Now use the plane all of EADS Heritage Flight to shows.

Article and pictures courtesy of http://ekstrabladet.dk/112/article2069885.ece
Posted By: Old Dux

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 03:39 PM

Remarkable pictures!
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 03:51 PM

Looks like the pilot was a pro, that airframe will be back up and flying in no time. Looks like the only major damage was to the prop. They'll fix up the undercarriage and check the spars for damage and then it'll be back up in no time.

Good job pilot.
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 03:54 PM

Damn, that's the Rote 7 from EADS.

sigh

I've seen that beauty in flight at the ILA in Berlin last year, together with a Me-262. Unforgettable. Also had a little chat with the pilot, Klaus Plasa who's a very experienced pilot.

The damage doesn't look too bad, hope she'll be soaring through the skies soon again.

Posted By: Timothy

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 05:27 PM

I would have walked onto that field with reverence knowing that's what it must have looked like 70 years ago in England.
Posted By: kaa

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 07:45 PM

it's a G-4?
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 09:03 PM

Yep.

The G-4 still had the twin 7.92mm MGs instead of the 13mm MGs of the G6, thus the lack of the characteristic "bumps" on the upper cowling.
Posted By: kaa

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 09:13 PM

Thanks ! the aicraft registration number is a funny one : D-FWME... a tribute to WW2 Jagdflugzeuge obviously.
Posted By: mazex

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 09:28 PM

Very sad - I was there yesterday and saw it fly. Recorded this video of the startup:

And then it crashed today... Klaus Plasa (the pilot) was unhurt from what I have heard. Here is a video showing when the engine dies and he finds a wheat-field to land in wheels up:

It is originally a Casa HA-1112-M1L from 1950 (one of those that participated in the 1969 "Battle of Britain" movie ) that they have put down 30.000 hours into rebuilding it into a 109-G4 with a real DB605 etc...

/mazex
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/18/13 10:28 PM

Glad to hear the pilot is safe and like Para said, the plane doesn't look to be seriously damaged so hopefully it will be up and flying again soon.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/19/13 10:50 AM

Doesn't look too damaged hopefully; lucky that there was no fire considering the dry wheat crop. Farmer will be pissed though. looks like a real-life representation of a BoB painting by Nicolas Trudgian or Robert Taylor
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/19/13 01:18 PM

Ah, Red 7 again... it's last belly landing was only in 2005, they shouldn't make it a habit...

I have a picture of it somewhere with the signature of the pilot, friendly guy, very helpful.
Posted By: Urban Furball

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/19/13 01:32 PM

Would the wooden prop have contributed to the failure for and, at any time, the reason?

Never thought they were constructed with these.

Just curious.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/19/13 01:35 PM

Red 7? I thought that one didnt survive the attack on the Death Star?
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/19/13 01:58 PM

The work of a very skilled pilot. He greased it on in, no one was hurt, and the airframe looks intact. Well done.
Posted By: Wireman

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/19/13 03:22 PM

Bah, the tail emblem is all wrong. Let it burn. neaner
Posted By: Corktip 14

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/19/13 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Urban Furball
Would the wooden prop have contributed to the failure for and, at any time, the reason?

Never thought they were constructed with these.

Just curious.

Wooden props were used on many planes during WW2. Many of the Luftwaffe planes had them, Bf-109, FW-190D-9, Ju-88, Ju-87... Not every variants of them, but later ones. Cheaper to produce, and one great advantage, in this kind of situation, is that the propeller will break when hitting the ground with the engine running, preventing lots of damage to the engine itself, compared to metal ones that will bend, twist, and pull great forces on the engine and gearbox.

Nice job on bringing the plane safely down, and with what looks like very little damages! I hope this beauty will be flying again soon. I keep very good memories of the time I saw it flying at La Ferté-Alais' airshow.
Posted By: Comes

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/20/13 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Red 7? I thought that one didnt survive the attack on the Death Star?

Made my day! hahaha
Posted By: McGonigle

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/20/13 12:19 PM

The G was apparently plagued by and feared for its engine problems immediately after introduction, but surely such a well-known issue would have been fixed and corrected many many years ago, if indeed this aircraft if fitted with the DB605 engine.

I live some kms from Roskilde and Sunday my ears did pick up what sounded like a low flying WW2 fighter, either the 109 or the Spit, which was also present at the air show. Never did get out in time to actually see anything.
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/20/13 01:40 PM

Amazing emergency landing!

One of the advantages of smaller, lighter aircraft is you can get away with these sorts of landings with significantly less damage to the aircraft and occupant. Try doing that in an F-4! wink
Posted By: Allaire

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/20/13 01:48 PM

Well most of these and decent glide characteristics. While the F-4's resembles that of a brick thrown out of a C-5 at altitude. biggrin
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Bf.109 Belly Landed in Denmark - 08/20/13 01:57 PM

Even with a wooden prop, the engine will have to be completely torn down, inspected, parts replaced, and rebuilt. All the wooden prop means is that some of the internal engine damage may be reduced, but not by much.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums