homepage

How can I build one of these?

Posted By: Renic

How can I build one of these? - 09/29/11 04:39 PM

Full 360 degree 2 axis motion simulator cockpit.

Posted By: - Ice

Re: How can I build one of these? - 09/29/11 05:56 PM

Holy #%&*$#, I want one!
Posted By: Brandano

Re: How can I build one of these? - 09/29/11 07:45 PM

The motion cues seem all over the place, though
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: How can I build one of these? - 09/29/11 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandano

Plus you'll probably be paying about 20k for something lacks the other 4 axis needed for simulating flight. This was part of a student project in Brazil, so it's probably not going to see production anyway.

that said, An ideal simulator would combine three things:

-The above sim, with full roll and tilt axis.

-I forget the term, but I've seen simulators that simulate G-forces by both deflating the seat cushins of the seat, while squeezing the flight harness. Not a perfect system, but it's the best available.

-A Stewart Platform to mount the above on
Posted By: JAMF

Re: How can I build one of these? - 09/29/11 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandano
By the looks of it, it's a straight pitch-roll conversion from game to motion pit.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: How can I build one of these? - 09/30/11 08:24 AM

Doesn't the above rig already roll and tilt? It rolled the guy inverted a couple of times!
Posted By: Brandano

Re: How can I build one of these? - 09/30/11 09:26 AM

Yes, but the forces you would feel in the cockpit are not aligned with the position of the plane. Getting sensible motion cues requires a fair bit more math than just matching the position of the simulated plane. if you look at a six axis platform in action, you will see that as the plane starts on the runway the platform will start moving forward, to give the initial impulse of acceleration, then it will tilt backward to simulate sustained acceleration, while returning to the center to be ready to accelerate suddenly in other directions. also, on a plane you won't have very large lateral accelerations, even in strongly yawed situations. Most of the accelerations are on the vertical axis, while the most rotations the inner ear will sense will be on the roll and yaw axes, pitch getting masquered by the vertical acceleration.
Posted By: f15sim

Re: How can I build one of these? - 10/05/11 05:30 PM

It would also have to have some kind of shell that would eliminate any externally provided position cues.

g.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums