homepage

Router necessary ??

Posted By: rwatson

Router necessary ?? - 07/25/18 06:08 PM

Recently had my router/modem replace because my internet connection kept dropping out...The tech?/ put in a bare bones modem...Here I have one computer no wireless..I fly EAW on-line ,,Spectrum gave me a McAfee security suite that sticks blocks too many legitimate sites and seemed to block my on-line flying...So should i call them and get back my modem/router setup I had before??..It's was OK until it started randomly dropping my connection Thanks for any advice
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Router necessary ?? - 07/25/18 06:25 PM

No sir, it is not necessary.
But a Router does add a layer of protection. It hides the devices behind your modem.

Re: Router necessary ?? - 07/25/18 09:37 PM

That's what I'm trying to figure out Bill..I'm a low ball tech guy ..just a P.C.and don't intend on anything wireless,,Spectrum has a McAfee security suite but screwed up my EAW on-line..I suppose I'm best off because all my bill paying and Amazon are done on line Just googling on=line most sites predict disaster if you don't use a router even with just one machine
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Router necessary ?? - 07/25/18 09:54 PM

Too many possible attack vectors if your system is online without NAT. Software Firewalls will not cover all you need and are easy to auto-missconfigure themselves. The most basic wired router will do the job and only cost you about 20-30 bucks. Your modem is USB or Ethernet?
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Router necessary ?? - 07/26/18 02:25 AM

Uninstall McAfee, it’s firewall is most likely the issue. That wouldn’t change even if you went back to the old hardware.
Windows built in suite is fine, assuming you’re on Win 7,8 or 10.
A home “router” is typically a multifunction device including a router, switch and wireless access...it isn’t just about putting wifi in the house. You can have the wifi off if you want but still have the security a router provides, including a more intelligent firewall than McAfee.

Re: Router necessary ?? - 07/26/18 08:16 AM

Thanks Col and RK..I'm going ahead and have a tech coming today to switch me back to a router/modem setup.I mostly fly EAW on line and before I had a modem router that died and it was simple enough to forward a few ports and connected easily......An extra level of security won't hurt and maybe some where down the line I might want to try a streaming service for movies or perhaps a kindle.Then I''ll fire up the wireless .I',m getting tired of walking back and forth to the library and my neighbor showed me his kindle and I kind of liked it,,although I'm old school and just enjoy holding a real book and turning paper pages..But my book shelf is full up and might take the plunge Col it's an Ethernet connection
Posted By: Brigstock

Re: Router necessary ?? - 07/26/18 02:50 PM

Good move. As Col said you don't need a router, but the added layer of security it gives you is a must in this day and age.

Re: Router necessary ?? - 07/27/18 07:37 AM

got the router installed and this time it's a seperate router not the all in one thing,,all is working fine and found the page for the set up and got my ports forwarded to fly on line,,,checking out kindles and moving up tech wise
© 2024 SimHQ Forums