homepage

Stuttering YouTube videos?

Posted By: - Ice

Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/06/13 08:55 AM

I find that sometimes, when I watch videos from YouTube or other online sources, the video is stuttering so badly that I am better off downloading it and watching via VLC player. Mostly, this is on embedded videos, but I've had a few problems with videos I watch direct from YouTube as well. I get this problem a lot with Steam game videos as well.

Any ideas regarding the culprit?
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/06/13 12:32 PM

Well we had a post some time ago here about someone and a few others having this issue.. I do Not suffer from any vidoes I have watched over at youtube suffer from that problem..

The blamed the buyout from google to be the main culprit for the crappy speeds but I think it has to do with ones own ISP..

Have you tried running a speed test from your location at Speedtest.net.. I would like to know is this happening on peak times in your area or at anytime??

IS this cable or DSL?? Do a speed test from your location to where the servers are located for you tube..see what the Actual speed is from your local to a distant server..
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/06/13 01:41 PM

Browsers crappy implemented Hardware Acceleration fights with Flash's Hardware Acceleration.
Posted By: Forward Observer

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/06/13 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
Browsers crappy implemented Hardware Acceleration fights with Flash's Hardware Acceleration.

This may explain why IE constantly stops working when I am trying to watch a YouTube video. I don't get any stuttering, but I get the message box that IE experienced a problem and has to shut down. Then it re-opens and starts the video from scratch. This means that if there is a commercial, I have to cycle through it again. I get this issue with other video sites too.

I've tried the routine of disabling all the add-on's and enabling them one at a time, but nothing seems to work. This issue seems to have really started when I upgraded from IE 9 to IE 10.

Cheers
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/06/13 05:53 PM

^, TBH, I Disable Hardware Acceleration on Flash.

IE 10 installs the H264 update that caused havoc on my system, I Uninstalled said Platform Update, and it took IE10 with it.

So, It's either IE10 w/ WMP and Every other Media Player (Except VLC) Crashing when opening anything other than WMV Compressed videos, or keep using Chrome/Firefox combo and say To Hell with IE, like I've been doing.

Windows Platform Update KB 2670838:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

Killed all media players, and embedded players inside games, had to remove it to be able top play any video in WMP, or embedded players.

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/07/13 09:21 AM

So how do I "fix" this, Skate? I got Win7 64-bit, Firefox.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/07/13 11:42 AM

Ice,I think he is saying remove update KB 2670838 (which also removes IE10-no big loss) and just use Firefox as you are doing now.

I only recently went back to IE10 after my mate told me it was the dog's bollox.He was half right,it was bollox.
Nothing but crashes and problems.

Went back to Firefox and all is good smile
Posted By: flying-hamster

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/07/13 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice
I find that sometimes, when I watch videos from YouTube or other online sources, the video is stuttering so badly that I am better off downloading it and watching via VLC player. Mostly, this is on embedded videos, but I've had a few problems with videos I watch direct from YouTube as well. I get this problem a lot with Steam game videos as well.

Any ideas regarding the culprit?

who is your isp ? (not virginmedia.com by any chance ?)
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/07/13 04:39 PM

These excellent tools will tell you if your ISP id doing network shaping/throttling on your connection.

Plus a lot more.

http://measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/08/13 11:39 AM

Yep, Virgin Media. Why?
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/08/13 02:16 PM

Yep, Virgin Media. Why?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfs...OMER_TYPE=Cable

Other than downloads, they may be throttling down YouTube if a large number of subscribers are accessing the site at the same time.

Nothing wrong with your machine.
Posted By: flying-hamster

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/08/13 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna
Yep, Virgin Media. Why?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfs...OMER_TYPE=Cable

Other than downloads, they may be throttling down YouTube if a large number of subscribers are accessing the site at the same time.

Nothing wrong with your machine.

i'm virginmedia.com too (120mb)and since last years 'speed doubling' and 'new traffic management policy' any streaming service be it iplayer or youtube suffers from stuttering,some days better than others,but there help and support forum is full of people complaining.
they acknowledge the problems there but are struggling to fix it.

virgin forum

Re: Stuttering YouTube videos? - 05/09/13 10:50 AM

Well, I know the video is "loaded up" a bit as the light-grey indicator is ahead of the point where I am watching the video... but I'm still stuttering!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums